Just got my first Gibson Historic R8, chipping under and around lower strap.Button, fix?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Hi guys, after a year of saving, i found ,a brand new Gibson Historic R8, and it just arrived today.After checking it out, its beautiful, however when i looked on the bottom of the guitar, i found that that paint peeled off all around the bottom strap button, down to the wood.Apon inspection, i found that the lower screw was installed somewhat crooked, so the strap button, applied pressure, to the paint on its edge and chopped through it.Does Gibson Custom shop just eyeball this hole? Do they use a jig? And is this fixab

Attachments

moreles

Reaction score
Something likely whacked the crooked button and created the chip. I would report it and get a factory fix under warranty. Gibson may refer you to a local shop. If I rec'd that on a used guitar, I would confidently fix it myself, but on something new, I think it's best long-term to get everything done by Gibson in case you sell later on. I'm sorry you had this proble, which seems to be (sadly) just sloppiness in the shop. I would look very, very carefully to make sure that there are not other areas with finish issues -- cracks, flaking or chipping. It's unlikely, but best to be sure.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Thank you, after some consideration, i returned the guitar to the store, after close examination, of one of the photos the store sent me, revealed that piece of paint, hanging off the guitar.Although the store guarantees me they did not send it,too me that way, and they want to do a claim with the shipping company .might have just been there plan all allong...as everyone of my freinds and family observed the guitar thinks.They had me send it back too them and when they get it , i will get a full refund.I have then spent my last money, buying one,of these sight unseen, and am just going to save the money, and order a new R9 from A local shop, so that i can go there and observe and hopefully accept in person.

joesatch

Reaction score
What store?, i might buy it if the price is right

PierM

Reaction score
They have been extremely honest in my opinion, since this is what typically happens when the strap button it's being screwed too strongly, cracking and chipping off the lacquer. Since you sent them shots with the strap button removed, they could have refused to refund if they wanted. I mean, they could have assumed you did it when screwing back the strap button. Not saying you did it of course, but if you sent them those pictures, they could have refused to refund yeah.

Chapeau to that store. :)

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
They have been extremely honest in my opinion, since this is what typically happens when the strap button it's being screwed too strongly, cracking and chipping off the lacquer. Since you sent them shots with the strap button removed, they could have refused to refund if they wanted. I mean, they could have assumed you did it when screwing back the strap button. Not saying you did it of course, but if you sent them those pictures, they could have refused to refund yeah.

Chapeau to that store. :)

HAHaHaHaHA, Ummm, no....the store took photos of the guitar, everywhere, but a close up, or actual photo of the bottom strap button, however, as i was lookjng at some photos of the guitar, after receiving it.I noticed what looks like that very sliver of paint hanging down around the button.Now....when i recieved the guitar, the screw was allready loose, and was pretty much dangling around, so he asked me to gently remove the screw because he couldnt see, the paint damage, so i did, of course i saved all messages so..yes a full refund would have been mandetory.I had 32 people there with me when i unboxed it, the box was in perfect condition, the case bubble wrapped, not a spec of damage anywhere on anything accept that strap button.They will guve you that guitar for $3850, its Chuck levington washington music center, go on...the guitar was gorgeous, the guitar also had the High E hitting the fret, with the low E .010 away from the fret, when measuring relief

Dick Banks

Reaction score
How does it play?

A great-sounding instrument goes a long way toward "hiding" some flaws....

You might get another one that is finish perfect only to find out that it doesn't play as well.

Put some red nail polish on it and don't look back....

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
How does it play?

A great-sounding instrument goes a long way toward "hiding" some flaws....

You might get another one that is finish perfect only to find out that it doesn't play as well.

Put some red nail polish on it and don't look back....

Thank you, but the guitar is gone man....i really tried to ignore, that blemish ans just keep it, the guitar played fantastic, the action was very low, and the guitar just RIPPED...its amazing because these Les pauls, or ,especially vintage Les pauls are “Not supposed to be for that” as far as being able to completeley RIP, doing solos ,and all that stuff.I hear alot of that, the les paul, again .Especially the older,ones are just made for Jazz playing , or just chords..LoL...yeah right! I mean, i dont know what thats about, but the R8 ,the ones ive played and the one ,i owned temporarily, had some of the fastest action, i have ever seen in my life.Going against, my modern Les paul standard, and my americsn standard strats.My Vintage 50”s and 60”s strats, are a little sluggish, but this thing,,man!!..i tried to keep it, but alot of my family and freinds,one in witch has a real 1959 les paul, told me,that i may have gotten a deal, but its still not right to recieve it that way.Im not rich, and saved,up to enjoy one,of these for,24 years.I dont deserve to have to fix anything.Regardless, i have my money back,and i have an appointment, to go check out a 2018 Gibson Custom shop R9 this week so..stay tuned for pics guys.If any of you want the guitar i just had, its at Chuck levins,for $3850 origionally $5100..so there you are, i was soo hurt that i could not keep it,but hey....what a gorgeous machine it was .

Latest Threads