Just got bit on eBay

Macs69

Reaction score
Be very aware that you will likely be charged tax (21 states currently) when buying a used guitar from a private seller (not a dealer) on eBay. Perhaps everyone else knows this, but I just purchased a '68 Reissue for $2500 w/ $125 shipping, and was blindsided by eBay's add on of $150 in tax. On a $5000 R9 you'll get whacked for $300...

fuzzdemon

Banned
Reaction score
wow, I hate that place, it wont be long before they ask you to chop of your dong and send it in an ice pack.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Ohio and several other states are now doing this on Reverb as well! So not only does this now factor into what I buy, but it probably is affecting sales as well.

fuzzdemon

Banned
Reaction score
I also hate how ebay are sending me emails to lower my prices even when ive opted out of those emails, then they nag me to send an offer to the people who are watching, its very condescending, I always use forums and Gumtree now to sell things and just be patient, I love ending my adverts on ebay after selling them elsewhere.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Next piece of gear I sell will be on this forum.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I also hate how ebay are sending me emails to lower my prices even when ive opted out of those emails, then they nag me to send an offer to the people who are watching, its very condescending, I always use forums and Gumtree now to sell things and just be patient, I love ending my adverts on ebay after selling them elsewhere.
I just ignore crap like this when Ebay sends me the offers ... it's lame

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
I always thought that it was just a matter of time until the whole online shopping thing backfired. But with ever increasing rents on property, I don't think we'll ever see a resurgence of local shops. So I think most people will just suck it up and keep on giving their hard earned money to the likes of Ebay and Reverb, if not simply for the buyer protection that comes with using their services. Ymmv.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Yeah and if you are a Canuck and you buy a USA gitfiddle ya got to pay duties and the currency difference/ can make a cheapie cost significantly more than it used to be.:rolleyes:

fuzzdemon

Banned
Reaction score
I always thought that it was just a matter of time until the whole online shopping thing backfired. But with ever increasing rents on property, I don't think we'll ever see a resurgence of local shops. So I think most people will just suck it up and keep on giving their hard earned money to the likes of Ebay and Reverb, if not simply for the buyer protection that comes with using their services. Ymmv.
I sold my Strat to the last guitar shop in my town and also bought a classical guitar for £400 when I could have got it cheaper on ebay, just to help support him and keep his door open, I buy as much from him as possible.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
It's not ebay or amazon CHOOSING to charge you sales tax, it's the states forcing them to. Ebay can be rightfully blamed for some things they do, but that isn't one of them.

As a long-time, 20 year veteran ebayer, I simply thing that their seller fees are too high and then their policies shaft the seller when the bidder decides to commit fraud and return an item that is not the one he bought.

It's like ebay doesn't even stop to think that ultimately it's the SELLER that pays all of ebay's income to them, so they should cut us a break and be good to us rather than whip us regularly with new policy changes, none of which seem to ever benefit the seller.