Just curious what I'd be in for...

J.T.

Reaction score
After seeing the ripping on boogieongtr for his '54-59 conversion, I just have to put this up & see what transpires. I have a '54 wraptail I bought late last year. It's had what looks to be a top only refin in gold, and it just doesn't look right - darker and duller than what I think a GT should look like. It's also lost most, if not all of its original parts. I've added a set of Throbaks (that sound magnificent!), a new harness, and and a mojoaxe compensated bridge. That said, it is a solid guitar with no cracks or repairs.

My biggest issue, aside from the refin? The neck. Now I grew up on a Melody Maker and an ES225, so I like big necks, but this one is huge - bigger than I can ever be comfortable with. So, I'm considering having it shaved (to match another guitar's neck that I consider "perfect"). Obviously, this would doink the original finish on the neck.

I'm open as what to do with the finish, depending on what's hiding under the paint. If the top is as amazing as Jim's conversion, I'd definitely consider a burst finish to show it off. I'd also consider converting it to PAF's, instead of the P90's. Converting to an ABR might not be an automatic, for me, because I love the wraptail. So it's quite possible that I'd really piss off some people by having a burst top with a wrap bridge, lol. :laugh2:

If the top ain't no great shakes, I have no problem putting gold right back on it - better gold, to be sure. BUT - I've always loved a darkback, and I'd find it difficult to paint the top and not do the back dark, especially considering the neck will have most of its finish stripped, anyhow. Now, here's what's going to really make you think I'm nuts - I wouldn't want to lose the serial #, so I've kicked around the idea of doing a sort of reverse stinger - the lighter brown of the headstock coming down into a point, with the darker finish from there on down. :run:

So there you have it - now let me have it!

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If the back and sides are original finish then I suggest refin the top again only...there are people who can match the original gold and the aging...

If the guitar has been completely refinned except for the serial number then I would reprofile the neck and do a complete refin with the saving of the original serial number.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i guess i'll pull the "i'll never be in that boat" straw here - if the guitar doesn't suit you and it's a '54, why not sell it and get one that does suit you rather than messing up a guitar that doesn't?

of course, as i type that out i start to think "well shit, why shouldn't you mess with it, it IS yours after all..."

so yeah, i'm conflicted i guess :thumb:

zeronalo

Reaction score
It's your guitar - who gives a shit what these people think?

Make yourself happy.

Freddy

RAG7890

Reaction score
Going by the other Thread....................you might be in for a Roasting. :laugh2:

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers with this one but if it were mine, restore it back to what it was with maybe a neck reshape if you planned to keep it & play it.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers:

P.S. I like big necks. :D

Ducati

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It should be easy to move the guitar now if it's not the right one for you.

Since you are thinking about shaving the neck, why not look for a 50's guitar with the neck already shaved? That's a major issue to most buyers so you might be able to get an otherwise unattainable instrument with a neck shape you like.

It will take some searching but it's worth thinking about.

tag2

Reaction score
If you decide to skin it, it would be best to not share that here. :laugh2:

You do have several options. Don't rush into anything and then do what you want. It is yours to sell, to refinish or to make into toothpicks.

Quill

Reaction score
I have a couple old guitars, from the pre-war years. I think of them as visiting. Once a guitar has 50+ years on it ... is it really "ours"?

I'd probably get a nice Historic to play, or commission a replica.

Sharky

Reaction score
I didn't participate in the other thread but since you're asking for opinions, here's mine.

If I would be in you position, I'd try to find a guitar which is more or less original or can easily be brought back to it's former glory and suits my needs best. So NO to any further modifications on your present guitar. I'd sell this to someone who is looking for a project like this and brings it back to life with a nice set of vintage parts and preserves it's originality for those to follow us. Two people happy instead of one that could be disappointed after the mods that have to be paid for also

YMMV

Louie

Reaction score
Sell this one and buy a replica. That's what I'd do.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I have a couple old guitars, from the pre-war years. I think of them as visiting. Once a guitar has 50+ years on it ... is it really "ours"?

I'd probably get a nice Historic to play, or commission a replica.
The word "caretaker" comes to mind. :thumb: :)

:cheers:

RAG7890

Reaction score
I didn't participate in the other thread but since you're asking for opinions, here's mine.

If I would be in you position, I'd try to find a guitar which is more or less original or can easily be brought back to it's former glory and suits my needs best. So NO to any further modifications on your present guitar. I'd sell this to someone who is looking for a project like this and brings it back to life with a nice set of vintage parts and preserves it's originality for those to follow us. Two people happy instead of one that could be disappointed after the mods that have to be paid for also

YMMV
Bjoern.................did I tell you about the Vintage Back Plates, TRC & Speed Knobs I bought last week, to go with the Vintage P90's? :D

All I need now is the Harness & Husk.

Cheers, Rudi

Sharky

Reaction score
Bjoern.................did I tell you about the Vintage Back Plates, TRC & Speed Knobs I bought last week, to go with the Vintage P90's? :D

All I need now is the Harness & Husk.

Cheers, Rudi
hey, cool. Just like me, I have a Porsche 911 ashtray here, rest is yet to come :naughty:

No, joke aside, great finds. I'm always on the hunt for a few vintage parts also. Just bought a nice set (I hope so) of vintage grovers here in the forum that might suit my Bloomie very well. I try to avoid ads that Jumping@Shadows lists, because he always has some real nice stuff that I can hardly resist buying. Do we ever grow up? I don't think so

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
It will decrease value and I don't like ppl changing things on perfectly fine guitars.

Value and originality apart, I wouldn't do it. Things like this are not revertable, if you dont like the result you'll have a big problem. A refin is one thing, shaving away wood is a step beyond, and a step I wouldnt dare take on a 50's Les Paul.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
If you reprofile the original neck for comfort, you should contact one of the better luthiers doing conversions and offer a trade of the original neck for an oldgrowth replacement of you design. This way you'll have your reprofiled neck in oldgrowth wood and the original neck will be preserved for saving some other project? Recarving necks and bodies always seems like the beginning of the end and will only suit you which is a limited time offer. IMHO

Otto

Reaction score
I think you should leave as much intact as possible. Vintage back and neck finish is a beautiful thing. An intact serial number is even more beautiful. If you think the top has been re-fin'd and want to do another then go for it. If its just not the guitar for you then try a trade, or sell it outright and buy one of Boogie's conversions. You will probably spend less than what you sell the GT for.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, I like to see an unmolested, unbroken vintage guitar remain that way. However, once something significant has been done to it, whether it be a full or partial refin, or a headstock break, or whatever, all bets are off. It's no longer a prime piece from a collectors standpoint...it's now "just" an instrument, and as such, would be fair game for further modification to suit the owner.

Considering the OP's guitar has already had a top refin, I personally wouldn't hesitate to further modify it to suit my needs...and not feel at all guilty about it.

Case in point, my '53, that's in the midst of a '53/'57 conversion. When I bought it, it had had a headstock break, and the back and neck had been painted gold to try and cover up the break. In fact, one of the only things that's still original on it is the top paint, so we're preserving that in this conversion. Here's where it stands right now:

And BTW, I've now bought four early '50s guitars over the past two years with the idea of doing a conversion, yet this is the only one that I felt was a good candidate. Two others, I felt were too nice, while the other one, I felt like it would have required too much work for my taste.

Frank

mertzy

Reaction score
I believe you can do whatever you want with your guitar but I also think modding to the point of shaving the neck is such a waste of time and energy and there is no guarantee you will like it in the end.

Sell your guitar, add in the money you would've spent on the mod, and find one in better shape with more original parts that has a neck that you can live with.

(BTW - If you take my advice call me when it goes up for sale)

MY 1,000 POAST!!!

J.T.

Reaction score
Looks great, Frank - who's doing the work?

J.T.

Reaction score
I believe you can do whatever you want with your guitar but I also think modding to the point of shaving the neck is such a waste of time and energy and there is no guarantee you will like it in the end.

Sell your guitar, add in the money you would've spent on the mod, and find one in better shape with more original parts that has a neck that you can live with.

(BTW - If you take my advice call me when it goes up for sale)

MY 1,000 POAST!!!
Make me an offer I can't refuse and you can not only save the world from the scourge of me, but you'll also have yourself a nice, solid '54 to rescue!

Latest Threads