Just Bought a Les Paul Classic

ritchieburns

Reaction score
Hi Folks..

I just bought a 2015 LP Classic, complete with mini robo-tuners, :-( active boost, and coil-split.

Has anyone converted their Classic to 50's wiring, maybe with push-pull phase switch, and added another tone pot (where the mini switch is at present on the lower bout? ).

The active boost does beef up the present coil split and makes it more useable. However I don't really want to keep the circuit board and might wire a push-pull pot where the mini switch is, to select parallel/series humbuckers, and get rid of the single coil function. (as the later Classics) I do want a push-pull phase switch.
Is series (humbucking) push-pull a better option than coil tap in a Classic?

Any advice?.... Thanks.

regards

richie
BG
s-l1600ghfgf.jpg
s-l1600rrrff.jpg
s-l1600sss.jpg

1allspub

Reaction score
Congrats and HNGD! I’ve not converted a 2015 Classic before, but have completely rewired guitars, it’s not a big deal if you know how to solder. If you want to add a proper 4th knob (who could blame you) you’ll need a reamer to ream out the small switch hole. I’ve not personally done it, but a buddy of mine did and it was easy. Mark the reamer with tape for how deep you should by test-fitting it into one of the existing holes then just go slow and take your time.

ritchieburns

Reaction score
Many Thanks 1allspub. You have some excellent geetars..
I have a dremmel tool, and I know how to solder.

I need to get four long shaft push pull logarithmic 500meg pots w/ knobs, and some braided cable as close as I can to Gibson spec, from Europe or the UK. (I live in Bulgaria)
Do you, or anyone else, recommend series /parallel push pull, over coil split?.

richie
BG

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant help on 2015 models…
kinda wish I owned one though..

yours has a gorgeous fade…it’s stunning how well Gibson painters apply fades

congrats and classics rule :h5:

-chris

1allspub

Reaction score
Many Thanks 1allspub. You have some excellent geetars..
I have a dremmel tool, and I know how to solder.

I need to get four long shaft push pull logarithmic 500meg pots w/ knobs, and some braided cable as close as I can to Gibson spec, from Europe or the UK. (I live in Bulgaria)
Do you, or anyone else, recommend series /parallel push pull, over coil split?.

richie
BG
Not really a push-pull guy myself, so never really researched those pots. Sorry I can’t help with that. Good luck!

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I'm running series/parallel using a push/pull switch on a DiMarzio Chopper in a Strat. I prefer that parallel tone to most coil splitting I've ever had and will probably convert a couple of my old Kramers from split to parallel.

My LPs have braided wire pickups so no options for me there.

BTW, that guitar is a really beauty. I'd probably replace the mini switch too for the traditional look.....but functionally the switch is a better idea.... I rarely use tone controls and could get by with a master if need be.

Check out the Richie Kotzen Tele. It has a rotary knob for series/parallel to keep traditional look.

Last edited:

ritchieburns

Reaction score
I'm running series/parallel using a push/pull switch on a DiMarzio Chopper in a Strat. I prefer that parallel tone to most coil splitting I've ever had and will probably convert a couple of my old Kramers from split to parallel.

My LPs have braided wire pickups so no options for me there.

BTW, that guitar is a really beauty. I'd probably replace the mini switch too for the traditional look.....but functionally the switch is a better idea.... I rarely use tone controls and could get by with a master if need be.

Check out the Richie Kotzen Tele. It has a rotary knob for series/parallel to keep traditional look.
Many thanks folks for the advice, and also for the appreciation of my new (oldish) LP. Classic.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, I have the 2014 LP Signature. I switched it to 50's wiring and had them change the boost toggle switch to a kill switch. I love it, such a great guitar.

lpsignewpups1.jpg
lpsignewpups2.jpg

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Classic is a couple years newer than yours. I change to 50's wiring without push/pull, and replaced the pickups. I love it. A couple friends have played it and loved it too.

CroppedSmall.jpg

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Beautiful! Glad to see Gibson did away with that ugly rimburst! Congrats!

Latest Threads