Just Bought a "Demo" off Gibsons Demo Shop

Red Pickup Rings What do you think

• Total voters

Azmedian

Reaction score
Additional pics 11-2-21

21 LPS B Cav 1.jpg

Bridge Cavity Reads LPS6xx not sure if last 2 digits is supposed to be a 0's or n's

21 LPS Nk Cav 1.jpg

Neck Cavity B8 ? not sure what that means

21 LPS FB Oiled 2.jpg

Fretboard much darker after being oiled w/ F-one oil

21 LPS PU 1.jpg

Pickups 57+ Neck / Black Diamond Dirty Finger Bridge

Any info on what/if there is anything about a Black Diamond as compared to a "Normal" Dirty finger or is that the common name??

Last edited:

Barrakuda

Reaction score
This Girl waited in the orfphange for 2 months with 107 watchers.

Haha! I was one of the 107. The thing I was unsure of with Demo shop items is that the pictures do not typically show all of the imperfections they call out. I don't mind some scars - the one I ended up with has some finish checking - they are part of the story, but I would like to see them to judge for myself.

That said, I have heard a few times that the listing is actually more critical than reality - basically calling out things that are barely if at all noticeable without a determined look.

What is your experience there? The Goldilocks version: Are the listings overly critical, not critical enough, or just right?

Azmedian

Reaction score
Haha! I was one of the 107. The thing I was unsure of with Demo shop items is that the pictures do not typically show all of the imperfections they call out. I don't mind some scars - the one I ended up with has some finish checking - they are part of the story, but I would like to see them to judge for myself.

That said, I have heard a few times that the listing is actually more critical than reality - basically calling out things that are barely if at all noticeable without a determined look.

What is your experience there? The Goldilocks version: Are the listings overly critical, not critical enough, or just right?

I will try to take some photos of whay was listed as damaged.
Damage was as photographed by demo shop, In my case damage was super minor.
I would say in my case, if you werent specificly looking for the issues listed your average player wouldnt notice.
But as buying new, mint & specificly going over guitar with a fine tooth, you would notice.
But some other guitars with worse damage than mine are very noticable.

Barrakuda

Reaction score
I do watch a little Trogly here and there because he does sometimes get something that peaks my interest. But mostly I lurk in local shops, Reverb, Ebay, and various forums. I was frequenting the demo shop prior to finally making my purchase and would get close to a buy but would back out when I would read (and reread) the descriptions getting myself worried on how evident the indicated whatever "issue" was when something called out was not imaged, so never went through. I finally pulled the trigger on a guitar even with finish checking back of headstock in large part because I found my LP in person to look it over at length to judge the flaw for myself and got to spend time playing it, as did my son (get that next generation going). I'm cautious on larger $ online purchases just based on photos.

Not a lot of individuals seem to provide much demo shop after-purchase feedback as I think most of these are probably bought by dealers. It seems Gibson is probably over-picky, so I'm guessing my concerns are mostly overblown!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
just brought home a 2016 traditional HP in cherry sunburst.i have looked for the imperfections listed on the sheet and been unable to find them.those inspectors must be some eagle eyed mofos.edit...looked again.if you hold it at just the right angle,get 4 inches away and squint you can see a tiny ding in the bass bout about 1 inch from the rim.ive been GASSing for one of these for a long time,am over the moon with it.in fact ima go play some more now.

Last edited:

truckermde

Reaction score
I'm would be changing the plastics to cream, putting the neck pickup in the bridge and getting a new neck pickup. That's just me though, it's a great-looking guitar. Congrats and happy NGD!
NOT just you.

You, & me & @jbash

:cheers2:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
BTW just wondering what kind of cases the demos come in.mine was in an unbranded case that seems to be of decent quality.

519tbarr

Reaction score
Very neat looking 60's standard - mod style!
I like that Gibson is doing these one off mod guitars. It's been since 2019 since they have changed any colour scheme on the USA lineup. I was hoping 2022 would see some new colour variations.
Enjoy that guitar!

Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard Figured Top, Bourbon Burst | Demo
This Girl waited in the orfphange for 2 months with 107 watchers. I had another deal fall thru & decided lets get something unique. I decided to grab this off the the web site. Shes beautiful to me.

Orphanage pics below

View attachment 565891

View attachment 565892

View attachment 565896

New Pics added:
View attachment 566702

View attachment 566703

View attachment 566704

DEMO Notes:

• Finish Top: Light scratches in several areas, minor inclusion in finish near upper bout
    Finish Sides: Small dent on bass side bout, minor finish inclusion near output jack
    Finish Back: Small dents and scratches in several locations, visible drop fill finish repair on back
    Finish Neck: Minor inclusion in finish throughout, light scratches in middle of neck
    Binding: Slightly deep scraping in several areas around guitar, minor inclusion in binding in multiple areas
    Finish Peg Head: Minor finish inclusion in back of peghead, light scratches on peghead back and face
    Pickups / Transducers: Light scratches on both pickups
  • Modifications: Dirty fingers in bridge position, 57+ in neck position, hand wired controls, red pickup surrounds, black pickguard, chrome locking Grover tuners, chrome hardware; Back of headstock stamped "DEMO"
  • Includes COA & Gibson 2 Year Limited Factory Warranty (Playability only)
  • Hard Shell Case Included

Spec Notes
Neck Profile:
60s Vintage
Neck Material: Mahogany
Depth at 1st (in): .811
Depth at 12th (in): .921
Nut Width (in): 1.69
Nut Material: Graph Tech
Scale: 24.75
Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius: 12"
Fret Count: 22
Body Shape: LesPaul
Body Material: Mahogany
Finish Type: Gloss Nitro
Tuners: Grovers
Bridge: ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic
Neck Pickup: 57 +
Bridge Pickup: Dirty Fingers
Controls: 2 Volumes, 2 Tones, & Toggle Switch
Strings: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
Weight (lbs): 9.35
Year: 2021
Serial Number: 202310XXX

Yes its stamped DEMO but I couldnt care less. I feel it actually makes it special.

The look & ever the non-stock pickups, locking tuners add to it. Shes mine, will will have a home the rest of my life.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yipee. Love that Bourbon Burst. Lovely lovely lovely.

That is one sweet lookin' LP.

How she play?

rich85

Reaction score
I only watch the playing section of Trogly demos

moreles

Reaction score
I'd change those rings to flourescent green. No I wouldn't. Black or cream. Small potatoes. What I like a lot is the color of the burst, which looks great in the closeups. Nice guitar.

KS 5150

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I still dig the red rings on this one.

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
two kudos

1. lovely and unique guitar
2. proper use of the phrase "couldn't care less", it is SO annoying to me to read the countless people writing "could care less", like NO, eat the KitKat sideways, whydon'tchya?
right up there with...ALLS you have to do is ......