Just bought a '88 Ebony Standard

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Love it! Great tone... pickups sound pretty hot... not sure what they are exactly, but not the usual Gibby fare...

Now I've got a blondy and a brunette... :naughty::slash:

Think I might name this one 'Queen Anne's Revenge' or name it after my Dad, since I named the blonde one after my beautiful blonde Mother, Marley. :)

Dad is a Robert, so maybe 'The Dread Pirate Roberts'... haha

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just made a 30 second demo clip... if anybody wants to hear it... doesn't sound like the usual 490/498 pups... I heard somewhere that Bill Lawrence did the pickups for Standards around this time... but I gotta take it apart to find out for sure. There is 4 conductor wiring going into the cavity instead of the usual braided goodness... so they could be Bill Lawrence 'The Originals'. I'll check for the circuit board on the bottom to be sure.

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So curiousity got me... even though its 2am... haha

The bridge is a Pat No 2737842, and the neck is a 'Circuit Board' Lawrence designed.

Doesn't sound too shabby, but Alnico 2 Pro's are the only thing I play. Anybody selling? :D

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Its a really good weight for me... around 9lbs. My custom, which is my number 1 stage guitar, weighs in at 14lbs... I have Les Paul shoulder. This thing feels like a twig compared to that. Hahaha

Bobby_Lee

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sweet! :thumb: And some nice sound. What's the neck like on it?

HHB

Reaction score
I love the ebony standards, my first LP was an ebony standard, I should find another myself, congrats, and I dig the rock n roll look you got going, rock should look cool too IMO

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great looking score there loki......... Sounds good too. Enjoy

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The neck is great, not as thin as a 60's and not as thick as a 50's... that sweet spot for a guy like me.. :D

The only problem I have with it is that the bridge pickup squeels... but as I said, I will be replacing them both with APH-1's as soon as possible.

The action is a little buzzy right now, needs an adjustment. I'll look into it this week sometime. It's not bad, but I like my notes to ring clear, even if it means raising the action a touch.

I put a new sticker on the front of it... I never do this to my Pauls, but this one was just calling to it for some reason. :)

I'll post a pic as soon as I can get them off my phone.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Haha not bad eh?

I've been cleaning her up, poor guitar had a hard life I think. The binding has aged to a yellow creme color, and the headstock veneer took a lot of sun abuse, and the laquer or whatever is over top of it has checked quite a bit. Looks like the previous owner did a hasty repair to keep it from peeling on the treble side. I scraped away the yellow over the inlayed 'Gibson' so the pearl shines through again, but I'm not sure what to do about the rest of it. I'll probably just leave it alone.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got that vinyl sticker from a tattoo artist, so it was orginally a pin up girl tattoo. Calgary's Tattoo festival was also last weekend. All in all, I had a really good weekend! :D

Latest Threads