Just a reminder for people over 50

Aussiemodo

ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So true! When I had my liver transplant I learned that your real friends "want" to help, some would even get upset when I didn't want them to. That was really humbling for me!

G'day Sakamoto,

How long you had your liver transplant?

I had a kidney just over 23 years ago, it's starting to fade a little now but I'm still appreciating every day.

At least when it does go I can go back on dialysis until another one comes along.

Cheers.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
Glad you made it. I'm almost 51 and had mine last year. Good advice.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
You guys got me to thinking

The small trucking company where I work loses about 2 people per month...
The drivers just sort of fall over dead....in the truck...on the dock...splat...game over.
Most have zero insurance.

Hmmm

uh, am i the first person to notice this comment?

dude, this is not normal at all. you need to find a new job or call the cops or something.

Mad Scientist

Reaction score
I'm very active. I cycle, and go to the gym 5 days a week. I have a VERY healthy diet and quit smoking and drinking 13 years ago. I'm 55 and last Saturday I had a bad heart attack.
Glad to hear you're doing better.

Just one question: What do you consider a "very healthy diet"? What exactly were you eating before you had your heart attack?

Sakamoto

Reaction score
G'day Sakamoto,

How long you had your liver transplant?

I had a kidney just over 23 years ago, it's starting to fade a little now but I'm still appreciating every day.

At least when it does go I can go back on dialysis until another one comes along.

Cheers.

1/9/2014 was my 5th year anniversary! Best of luck with your's!

TheX

#pronounless
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just one question: What do you consider a "very healthy diet"? What exactly were you eating before you had your heart attack?

What is Dr. Fuhrman's Nutritarian Diet?

I eat some lean meats, and am always within 6-8 pounds of my goal weight. My breakfast comes out of vitamix and has at least a pound of raw vegetables, frozen fruits and healthy fats in nuts and seeds. Breakfast follows my 5:30 am trip to the gym. No caffeine or stimulants.

This wasn't always the case though, I started making changes at 42.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it through OK. I had a heart attack the end of last August and spent 11 days in an induced coma and almost a month in hospital. I had always been in good health and this totally blind sided me. Unfortunately, my heart was damaged and is now only at around 70% capacity so I am considered to be permanently disabled. No workouts at the gym or any strenuous activity for me anymore. I'm not even permitted to drink more than 1.5 liters of liquids per day. The good side is that it made me decide to stop smoking and I may have the occasional beer but that's about it. I don't even drink pop anymore!

So I have to second your suggestion that everyone out there get a cardiac test done. Heart attacks are not pleasant and no one should have to go through one due to negligence.
Another reason Canada is so much more civilized. I had a massive heart attack in 2001 with no prior health issues. I sustained damage to 40% of my heart but continued to work for more than a decade with it. Until last year actually. It took another heart attack reducing my capacity to 30% to be considered disabled here. And that took a year of jumping through hoops and bureacratic confirmation in which my reduced ability to work almost ruined me. Plus, I still owe for the first heart attack.

Ah yes "Best health care in the world".

TheX

#pronounless
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another reason Canada is so much more civilized. I had a massive heart attack in 2001 with no prior health issues. I sustained damage to 40% of my heart but continued to work for more than a decade with it. Until last year actually. It took another heart attack reducing my capacity to 30% to be considered disabled here. And that took a year of jumping through hoops and bureacratic confirmation in which my reduced ability to work almost ruined me. Plus, I still owe for the first heart attack.

Ah yes "Best health care in the world".

You made the mistake of being responsible and working for a living. If you sat on your ass they would have handed you whatever you wanted.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
So they say
You made the mistake of being responsible and working for a living. If you sat on your ass they would have handed you whatever you wanted.
So they say. But that's not my experience. In a way you're right though.It's a catch 22. The fact that I was able to drag my carcass to work at all proved I wasn't disabled apparently. They wanted me to go without working for at least a year to prove I was disabled. In which time I would have lost everything.
I had to enroll in a clinical trial for Renexa as a guinea pig finally to even get the medical tests to confirm my condition. I was told when I applied the SSD folks wouldn't even ask for records past seven years old. All my expensive tests and treatment would mean nothing. I hadn't seen a cardiologist in years because I couldn't afford it, or health insurance.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
EKG, stress test, there are a variety of ways. Talk to your doctor......:thumb:
I have white coat fever. This goes way back when I was around 25. I had to have a physical because I was running a Group Foster Home. No stress there. :wow: The Doc was not your normal guy. He was cardiologist and one of the team docs for the Oakland Raiders. Right off the tee, he found a heart murmur. That did it for me. I got so stressed, I almost died right there. Then he hooks me up to an EKG.
It went just fine until I had a heart palpitation. It was so strong, I thought my heart was going to blow out of my chest. Then he says; "We need to give you a Stress Test." That was going to cost $350 I didn't have. No more tests. I'm 63 and still ticking and kicking. :thumb:

rvschulz

Reaction score
I had self-induced arrhythmia several years ago due to over-caffeinating myself. the stress test showed I have a slight/minor mitral valve prolapse. I run 2-3 1/2 marathons a year and keep a close watch on my diet due to type 1.5 diabetes.

good luck. I heard death is final.

not really looking forward to it regardless of the time/cause.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
I have white coat fever. This goes way back when I was around 25. I had to have a physical because I was running a Group Foster Home. No stress there. :wow: The Doc was not your normal guy. He was cardiologist and one of the team docs for the Oakland Raiders. Right off the tee, he found a heart murmur. That did it for me. I got so stressed, I almost died right there. Then he hooks me up to an EKG.
It went just fine until I had a heart palpitation. It was so strong, I thought my heart was going to blow out of my chest. Then he says; "We need to give you a Stress Test." That was going to cost $350 I didn't have. No more tests. I'm 63 and still ticking and kicking. :thumb:

i'm assuming you have friends check your prostate regularly, right?

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP. I have a friend, he's about 43, that wasn't feeling well. It had been like that for a week or two. He went to get checked out. They told him he was having an ongoing heart attack. He got his stents. A day and half in the hospital and the surgery cost $80,000. This guy had no health insurance. That could have been me.

TheX

#pronounless
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP. I have a friend, he's about 43, that wasn't feeling well. It had been like that for a week or two. He went to get checked out. They told him he was having an ongoing heart attack. He got his stents. A day and half in the hospital and the surgery cost $80,000. This guy had no health insurance. That could have been me.

I have great insurance, thankfully. The bill would have been probably $5K for an insurance company. They RAPE individuals that aren't covered.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"RELEASE THE STENTS!!!!" I'm covered now. :applause:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's the ACA as long as it stays. :applause:

Latest Threads