Just a little fun... Remixed track from the late 90's - Replaced Gtrs with Kemper

PJH

Reaction score
Digital modelling has certainly come a long way since the first Pod Bean. Our band recorded a track in the late 90’s using a POD2 and I remember being pretty happy with the results.

The band is Off the Edge and the song is entitled "Just Another Band".

During this Covid lockdown I’ve had a bit of time on my hands and just for fun, I found the original multitrack and decided to replace all the guitars with the Kemper using my own profiles.

While the POD sounded great for its time (and still isn’t too bad) it just shows how far things have come in the modelling/profiling world.

I’ve added the link to the original POD version as well for comparison. This is just for interest sake and the fact that since we can’t perform in a live situation I had to find something interesting to do.

The link to the original song with the POD2 guitars is: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6326809

drew365

Reaction score
Interesting comparison. The Kemper tracks have a little more definition, but I kind of like the POD tracks better. With all of the hype we give new products now a days, I would have expected the POD to sound like poo. It didn't.

PJH

Reaction score
Interesting comparison. The Kemper tracks have a little more definition, but I kind of like the POD tracks better. With all of the hype we give new products now a days, I would have expected the POD to sound like poo. It didn't.
The Pod tracks have a "plasticy " nasal sound to them that I remember back in the day was very difficult to eq out. For me the Kemper tracks sound far more natural and thats mainly because they're profiles of an actual live rig.

Thanks for listening.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
POD sounds great, but is kind of a "bottled '80s" that I can imagine was hard work to EQ. From memory, lacked mids, but if you tried to put them back in they just didn't sound right.

Kemper profiles sound like amps. I still remember laughing at the salesman that reckoned he could replace 3 of my amps with a Line 6 back in '02 or '03. I took a couple down to the shop so he could hear a '60s AC30 and a '70s metal face Marshall. Kind of obviously, Line 6 back then sounded great, but was not about to compete with valve amps and great speakers.

Whatever any of them sound like recorded, the feeling of "directness" when playing top end modelling amps nowadays has arrived, and they respond enough like the real thing to make them a going concern.

Thanks for sharing. No contest for me, the Kemper sounds better in every respect. I'll also bet there was less heartache in mixing it.

Good song, great playing. The original is quite a bit brighter for the rest of the tracks on the system I'm listening on. Must remember to try again in the studio with better speakers tomorrow night.

What a great experiment. Thanks!

Liam

PJH

Reaction score
POD sounds great, but is kind of a "bottled '80s" that I can imagine was hard work to EQ. From memory, lacked mids, but if you tried to put them back in they just didn't sound right.

Kemper profiles sound like amps. I still remember laughing at the salesman that reckoned he could replace 3 of my amps with a Line 6 back in '02 or '03. I took a couple down to the shop so he could hear a '60s AC30 and a '70s metal face Marshall. Kind of obviously, Line 6 back then sounded great, but was not about to compete with valve amps and great speakers.

Whatever any of them sound like recorded, the feeling of "directness" when playing top end modelling amps nowadays has arrived, and they respond enough like the real thing to make them a going concern.

Thanks for sharing. No contest for me, the Kemper sounds better in every respect. I'll also bet there was less heartache in mixing it.

Good song, great playing. The original is quite a bit brighter for the rest of the tracks on the system I'm listening on. Must remember to try again in the studio with better speakers tomorrow night.

What a great experiment. Thanks!

Liam
Thanks for the comments, Liam.

Yes, the Kemper parts were really easy to mix!

Cheers.

Rhust

Reaction score
both sound good, but the kemper tracks sound more natural, less synth-y and live. the pod track sound very over processed...

but also think of it this way... the POD was a practice tool, it was never a pro piece of equipment for touring musicians and full albums... the kemper is arguably the gold standard in amp modelling. this is a stark comparison of how far modelling has come.. but also that the POD wasn't BAD even then... it was just different. and in a mix, it probably wouldn't matter to most people. the only reason we are dissecting it at all is because it was presented as a comparison.

Latest Threads