JTM45s low end....

5F6-A

Reaction score
My main amp for big gigs is my Pure Soul amp. Basically, a custom made JTM45 with NOS parts, Obsolete Electronics OT, a master volume and a parallel fx loop. It drives a couple of GEC KT66s... glorious. Cab is loaded with 2 x UK made Tayden True Brit speakers (Greenback clone).
The only thing I had to change was that I had to ask the builder to add a couple of minor tweaks to control the low end.

Is anybody else having problems with the low end of a JTM45 -esque amps? Thanks.

Pure Soul.PNG

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've got a Ceriatone JTM45 and put Marstran trannies in it. It's an older one from 2006 with the white front panel.
No problem with the low end for me when playing through a 4x12 cab or 2x12.
What's happening with yours.........is it flabbing/farting out when pushing the speakers at high volume?

Geeze

Reaction score
Marshall changed the caps filtering on their amps through the years to control / tighten the lows also went to SS on the rectifier. I have a JTM 45 clone [Satellite 'Cuda with KT66's] that has switchable rectification and not being a fan of sag I never take it off SS.

I keep trying to talk my amp guy into building a 45/100 with a bit more filtering and a switchable rectification. He's being resistant as I haven't found gear to tempt him with... Yet.

Russ

JohnnyN

Reaction score
All JTM45s have loads of bass on tap. I run mine through a Marshall 1936 cab with 2 Greenbacks. I only use the bright channel and at high volume I most often set the bass around 10 o'clock.

My JTM45 RI is from 1991 and came with 2 x 50+50 caps, and Sovtek 5881 tubes. So the stock JTM45 RI is very well filtered, and the 5881s are not as bassy as 6L6 or KT66 tubes.

I replaced the caps to 32+32 for the Output/mains and 16+16 for the preamp, as they was on the JTM45s of the 1960s. I also installed swamp resistors and a pair of Gold Lion KT66.
More low end with KT66s, but seems to be fairly tight compared to (TAD short glass) 6L6 tubes, despite the modified lower filtering.

I don't feel I have a problem with the low end. What's your problem?

sonar

Reaction score
It's not lack of, but focus for me with bass response on early JTM45 flavored amps. Even on the bigger EL34 quartet "100" watters I preferred to sacrifice some gain and go with a Super Bass circuit.

While not for everyone, the AB165 tightens things up... cheaper too. The downside with '165's for some is the tonestack.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Hi!
I find the bottom end a bit flubby on mine - it works very well for blues and classic rock with full chords, but less so for stuff with power chords or riffs in the low end of the neck. A SS rectified plexi-style amp is much tighter.
TAD sell a SS rectifier adapter that apparently makes the bottom end much tighter - for 20$ maybe worth a try?

Bogmonster

Reaction score
The low end on the JTM45 is a bit spongy. I have a reissue from 2006 and I've done no mods to it. It sounds glorious!! But I always use the high treble channel and run the bass a 2, mids full and treble at 8. Presence usually at 5-6. Volume between 5 and 7. Sounds thick and creamy. I think that's the sounds these are known for. Not a high gain monster and that loose low end sounds great for blues and some classic rock.

I see guys jumping the channel on these and I never understood it myself. It just gives too much bass for me.

Love these amps!