joyo vintage phase

tdearn

Reaction score
I took delivery of my joyo vintage phase today and to be honest I am pretty disappointed. I know I shouldn't expect much for the money and it's my own fault but I have read a lot of positive reviews of joyo stuff. The phase is very subtle to the point it is barely audible and even on its fastest setting the effect makes no real impact on the sound. I wanted an mxr phase 90 and thinking that the joyo was a clone of this pedal I very wrongly assumed it would be similar. You get what you pay for and how stupid I am for thinking otherwise!

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear man, that sucks. Being that it is a "vintage phase" maybe it's actually a clone of the script phase 90? Idk, that's a guess, but the script is more subtle, I personally like it better for almost everything.

tdearn

Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping to try and emulate the beginning of Nantucket sleighride by mountain, I know I'd need a Leslie cabinet for that but the mxr was kinda similar ish when I tried it. I'm not really one for too much effects so maybe the subtlety of the joyo will grow on me.

Rhust

Reaction score
it is supposed to be a clone of the phase 90... most people do not like the block phase 90, but it sounds like you might... it's a not-subtle phase... vs the script which is more "vintage"

the good news is, the block phase 90 is cheap on the used market... as cheap as the joyo.

biyang also makes a p90 clone

personally, I am leaning towards the small stone EHX or the boss ph2

tdearn

Reaction score
I tried the mxr phase 90 and I really liked that sound. At eight o clock the sound was just right, noticeable but subtle at the same time. Think I need to put the joyo on my board and see what it's like. I've never used too many effects, at present I've just got a Dunlop wah, boss compressor, Marshall guvnor, tc electronic tuner and an Ibanez delay. Where would be best place to put my phase amongst that?

Rhust

Reaction score
after the compressor, before the guvner

should go tuner -wah-comp-phase-guvnor

tdearn

Reaction score
Thanks, yes that's what I've done with the other pedals, just wernt to sure where to.put the.phase. Though I may return it and buy the mxr.

Rhust

Reaction score
yea, tbh, if you have a loop, that's where modulation should be... and delay....

I like joyo pedals, I have 4(tuner, 2 "character sound pedals, and ultimate drive), and 2 (both distortions) more in transit ... but I've been hesitant to try their modulation/delays... those are a lot easier to be "wrong" imo...

tdearn

Reaction score
Yes. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is wrong, just a little too subtle for my liking.

Rhust

Reaction score
right, what I mean is "wrong" for the ears. modulation is kinda "pass/fail" grading... if it's what you want, pass... if you wanted something a little different, "fail"

tdearn

Reaction score
Think im gunna plug it in and see if it's any better second hearing! Thanks for your advice.

Funky54

Reaction score
Op since you got it.. Try a dirt I front of it. It will make the effect more pronounced.

If anything, try a cheap ibanez sound tank phase- ph-5

It's a copy of the legend pt-9 and its very pronounced, so far my fav.

tdearn

Reaction score
Wow, put the guvnor in front of it and great sound!! Thankyou very much, was just about to email the seller but now I'm putting it on the board

Batman

Reaction score
Funky54 beat me to the pedal order suggestion. Pre-dirt, phase has a very quiet and subtle effect on your sound; this is where I preferred it when I had my Phase90. Post dirt it is much louder and not so subtle. . .

Glad you got it working to your satisfaction! :thumb:

tdearn

Reaction score
Used it last night for a gig and it sounded great. My only concern is I'm not sure if it was seeping through a little when it wasn't on and there was a slight unintended swish to my tone.

Rhust

Reaction score
dude, guys would kill for swish tone! :slash: ;)

tdearn

Reaction score
Just sounded like the phase was coming through sometimes when it was off? But the singer has a phase on his vocals so it could have been picked up through his Mic.

firesgt911

Reaction score
I always run my modulation pedals after dirt. That is the whole point if putting them in the effects loop if you have one, so the preamp is before it. Before dirt just makes them too subtle and weak sounding for my tastes. Of coarse, there is no right answer. Just run them however they sound good to you.

Latest Threads