Joyo US Dream review

taypeng

Reaction score
I mentioned a bit of this in another thread but thought ill put one down here for everyone's benefit...A minute of disclaimer - i'm not affliated with joyo, neither am i a devotee though i have 3 of their pedals to date lol.

i did a bit of research before buying. its rumored to be a Suhr riot clone...(even the color of the pedal suggests that).. without the 3-way clipping selector. I can't confirm if it is a clone since i dont have a Suhr Riot pedal to A/B with.

Compared to the Joyo Ultimate drive, the US dream is smoother/not as fuzzy..tone knob works well to cut any excessive high end fuzz. The UD has a somewhat mid-scooped tone and is bass heavy. The US dream has a nice touch of mid-range and lacks the low end of the UD. It might be premature to say this but i think the US dream is a modern-type distortion (reminiscent of a mesa boogie combo amp)....great for a smooth, singing lead tone. im pretty happy with the tone i got using it alone or stacking with the other dirt pedals.

and its a cheap pedal...$45 shipping, so whats the catch? for one its a noisy pedal, with the gain just halfway up it has considerbly more noise than any of my other dirt pedals. I don't think i can go beyong 50% gain without the use of a noise gate.

footswitches and knobs seems ok..so thats about it for now. Going to run it through it paces again this thursday at band practice. cheers.

Phildog

Reaction score
This may or not be worth anything, but is there a way (mod) to tame the noise? Maybe changing out a cap? Or, is it just the "nature of the beast"? I'm really interested in these Joyo's. They are quite the bargain for some nice sounding pedals.

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This may or not be worth anything, but is there a way (mod) to tame the noise? Maybe changing out a cap? Or, is it just the "nature of the beast"? I'm really interested in these Joyo's. They are quite the bargain for some nice sounding pedals.
True dat. My only concern is...they are likely real rip offs or damn close and made by slave labor...hence the price. That said...I own an ultimate drive and like it. What can I say?

taypeng

Reaction score
True dat. My only concern is...they are likely real rip offs or damn close and made by slave labor...hence the price. That said...I own an ultimate drive and like it. What can I say?
hadn't given much thought about the slave labor part...damn i own 3, im triple guilty!

about the noise, im not an electronics expert...but i think its primarily due to the design of the circuit...swapping caps and resistors might not help much to bring down the noise

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I found one on the bay for $36 shipped so I figured what the heck and hit the BIN. My Ultimate Drives are pretty nice so I'll give this one a shot.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Hey, look what the wind just blew in:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEnAubS98c&feature=relmfu]Suhr Riot versus Joyo US Dream distortion guitar effects pedal shootout - YouTube[/ame]

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been putzing with mine. The distortion is a little gnarly for my tastes, though I did find some interesting uses for it. I'm sure there are people who will love it, though. It's good to have something like this in the pedal arsenal.

I'm not impressed that there is no battery door on these, their older series pedals have battery doors. Everything is PCB mounted, except for the battery clip. The pedal case seems rather thin, and on the lightweight side. Makes me wonder how much abuse it can withstand. To be honest I don't think it is as nicely made as the Ultimate Drive. I wouldn't pay $60 for one of these, but for $36 it was a OK price.

taypeng

Reaction score
I'm loving mine. I've been running my strat with CS69s into the AC tone straight into the PA/mixer... ultimate drive set to OD, stacked with the US dream for a thick muscular rhythm or lead tone.

StormJH1

Reaction score
I've been putzing with mine. The distortion is a little gnarly for my tastes, though I did find some interesting uses for it. I'm sure there are people who will love it, though. It's good to have something like this in the pedal arsenal.

I'm not impressed that there is no battery door on these, their older series pedals have battery doors. Everything is PCB mounted, except for the battery clip. The pedal case seems rather thin, and on the lightweight side. Makes me wonder how much abuse it can withstand. To be honest I don't think it is as nicely made as the Ultimate Drive. I wouldn't pay $60 for one of these, but for $36 it was a OK price.
See, I actually agree with this post. The original poster said that it was "smoother" than the Joyo Ultimate Drive. I have that pedal, and it's an overdrive similar to the OCD...I don't consider it "fizzy". I'm actually looking for a fuzzy higher-gain tone, and this sounded really good in the video.

Anybody else use this more recently that could recommend it? My concerns:

Cost - Can anybody point me to a deal on these (shipped from the U.S.?) The eBay prices for the newer Joyos are $55 (free shipping), whereas I've only paid $40 to $45 for the other ones so far. Not a HUGE difference, but as the price goes up, I'm more inclined to try other options.

Build Quality - I have 5 Joyo pedals, but they're all of the older ones with the lower numbers in the sequence (up to JF-17). This new line of pedals is built differently - they all have the same housing and some people don't think they look as durable. But given that I've had all good pedals from my vendor so far, and it's not for gigging, this probably wouldn't stop me.

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got mine off of Ebay, not sure if it was some sort of special introductory price?

taypeng

Reaction score
I paid $45 but I think its one of the best hi-gain pedal out there in the $55 range and more Its does a good fatty overdrive too at lower gain settings.

StormJH1

Reaction score
Thanks to lexluthier and taypeng. $55 might just be the going rate. I think some of the websites drop it to $32 now and then for a one-day deal type thing, but that's pretty rare.

Might actually replace a BOSS Power Stack with this pedal. (Had such high hopes for the Power Stack, but it has a weird "fixed wah" thing going on with the mids - okay for lead work but totally neuters the tone for rhythm).

I've been looking at various boutiques (which would break my rule about spending more than $99 on a single pedal), but there's just too much financial risk involved to go in blind like that. The US Dream sounds like it has a pretty nice, full tone. Don't need it to do everything, but I do need it to be a good high-gain distortion pedal for hopefully everything from power chords to solos.

RichBrew

Reaction score
That you support slave labour?

RichBrew

StormJH1

Reaction score
That you support slave labour?

RichBrew
C'mon man, keep that stuff off the boards. If you don't like Chinese products for political reasons, don't buy them, or go get a picket sign and walk around somewhere. This is supposed to be a discussion about the quality of the pedal itself. Marshall's new pedals are made in China, as are countless others. So are Apple iPhones. No need to attack other forum members on a guitar board by dipping our toes into complicated geopolitical issues like globalization.

I got excited that somebody was actually responding to my post...then I opened the thread.

Latest Threads