Joyo Overdrive vs Boss Overdrive

jw3571

Reaction score
You may have some of my posts looking for an overdrive that would work well with SL5's distortion channel. I don't want to spend a ton of money so i'm looking at either Boss pedals or JOyo pedals. The Boss SD1 or the Joyo Ultimate Overdrive seem like they would be great choices. I play mostly GNR, 80's rock, that type of music. What would get me closest to the sound. Would another Joyo pedal other than the Ultimate Drive be worth looking at? I have a Joyo Deluxe Crunch that sounds good on the clean channel but not on the distortion. Thanks.

Coldacre

Reaction score
for 80's rock, skip both of those and get a RAT. much more in the ballpark you are after.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yep, pretty much. there's some great clones of rats out there for not too much money - try the Mooer Black Secret.

jw3571

Reaction score
Well I ended going out to GC and came home with a Boss SD1 for $15. Figured it was worth a shot, i'll let you know how it turns out.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
I love overdrives! You might want to check out the Bad Monkey or, EH has a cool one called East River Drive. It is a nice TS808 clone. I have all three of these and more. Two I have in my sights are the Arc Effect Klone and the VS Route 808. The Klone is totally bad ass! Just my two cents, sorry! I do like overdrives!

jw3571

Reaction score
I tried the SD1 out tonight. I really like it. Way better than the Joyo Deluxe Crunch. Really brings the SL5 to life.

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I tried the SD1 out tonight. I really like it. Way better than the Joyo Deluxe Crunch. Really brings the SL5 to life.

I see that you finally brought yourself to try out an SD-1 after fiddling with the Joyo offerings. It's a strange deal because there are many OD's I prefer over the SD-1 as stand alone drives but the SD-1 just meshes perfectly with Marshall amps.

Set your SL5 so it's just starting to breaking up on the drive channel and then set the level on your SD-1 at 2 o'clock drive at 9 o'clock and tone at noon and tweak from there. I think Marshalls sound a bit better with asymmetrical clipping (SD-1) over symmetrical clipping (TS-9) pushing them on the front end.

I did two mods on my SD-1, gain boost switch and asymmetrical/symmetrical clipping switch. With the gain boost, it adds a bit more grind when switched on and with the clipping mod it gives it a more compressed, softer grind. The asymmetrical seems to work much better with humbuckers.

FYI, I've tried the Bad Monkey, TS-9, OCD (9 volt) and the SD-1 outshines them all for what I'm after. I might pickup another OCD v4 (asymmetrical) and run it on 18v with my new PP2+. I Would also like to checkout a Fulldrive mosfet if I can find one for cheap.

jw3571

Reaction score
Thanks Flyfish for the recommendation, i'm really enjoying it.

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
The other thing that you may consider in the future would be the speaker. People either love or hate the V30 Celestion as its voiced in a way that cuts through the mix but can be harsh to some ears. If had a V30 in a Studio 15, Jubilee 2554 and the SL5 and never could get along with the upper mids. "IF" you feel as if the speaker is a bit harsh there are a ton of options currently on the market.

jw3571

Reaction score
I feel like the highs are a little harsh. What are some other good options. Also is it hard to replace?

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
There are a lot of options out on the market but I really like the Celestion creamback. It seems to have a smoother mid/high compared to the V30.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Happy NPD, you got a classic!

I'm glad you got the BOSS. I'm sure the Joyo sounds fine, but a BOSS pedal is such a workhorse, it's bound to be more trouble free over the years. I have one 80's BOSS pedal (HM-2) that has only needed cleaning and it still works great (I just outgrew it, but boy, was it abused over the years).

If you wish to get more EQ out of an OD pedal, try the Digitech Bad Monkey. This is one of the best kept secrets in the pedal world (IMO) and I will always keep one on my board. To date, it's the only pedal that has made my Orange amp sound BETTER. Whereas the SD-1 just has one tone adjustment, the BM has both low and high adjustment. I liked it better than the SD-1, but that's just my preference.

Jnorm

Reaction score
$15 is a sweet deal on the Boss pedal! Lots of folks like that model in front of Marshalls. How old is the SL5? Might just need some speaker break in time to mellow it out.

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
What's cool about the SD-1 are all the mods you can do. I added two mini toggles, one for asymmertical/symmetrical clipping (SD-1/TS-9) and one for a gain boost. I also did a couple capacitor mods for bass increase. Very effective and easy mods.

Latest Threads