Joyo JTA05 Champ clone

rich85

Reaction score
Picked up this Joyo champ clone. Also sold as a "Fame" JTA05. The stock Celestion sounded very nice, but I installed a Jensen P8r Alnico and holy crap. For a total investment of $350 (Australian) this amp just sings. Very impressed!

Screenshot_20200224-122734_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20200224-122750_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
What’s that bright spot in the back? Is that the rectifier?

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome!!! I miss having a plug in and play little tube amp!!! I may have to as well.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I can buy one for $298 CAD (+tax, free shipping) $100 less than my 1W Supro Blues King 8.
I've already had one in my cart, but took it out. Really don't have room (or money) for any more amps until I get rid of some. But I do love cheap, low power amps...

Deftone

Reaction score
Freakin' cool. My 1st real amp was a black face champ. Wish I still had it.

Joyo makes some good stuff. I have one of their 20w Bantamp ZoMBie heads. It's amazing.

Congrats and enjoy!

rich85

Reaction score
The Alnico speaker is getting looser now. Really enjoying this amp. Such a great low volume pedal platform or just an amazing plug in and play tone.

Makes no sense to me why Fender don't build an affordable version. Giving a lot of sales to Joyo.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I already have sort of a fake Fender amp, a Gretsch Electromatic G5222, the same thing as a Fender Champion 600. 6V6 powered but no tube rectifier. Can't beat $169 CAD for one in mint condition. It's a good companion to the Greta.

But I still want a Joyo JTA05.

rich85

Reaction score
I already have sort of a fake Fender amp, a Gretsch Electromatic G5222, the same thing as a Fender Champion 600. 6V6 powered but no tube rectifier. Can't beat $169 CAD for one in mint condition. It's a good companion to the Greta.

But I still want a Joyo JTA05.
Those look amazing and I actually used to have the Champion 600. The speaker was simply too small in my opinion though. Obviously for single coil clean tones it was fun but.....Well it looked cool also.

I now use the Tweed Pro Junior IV with Jensen Alnico at gigs and Joyo at home. Amazing how many people don't realise the Pro Junior is actually 15 watts. Such an overlooked amp.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I have one of these with the 'Fame' logo (I'm sure they are the same amp inside though). It works really well with my Strat, Tele and P90 Les Pauls. If playing at home (or mic'd up) you can get a really nice clean tone from it too. I've used mine for small open mic venues and with my 60s Tribute it gives a really nice crunch when I dig in. Not so good (IMHO) with my humbucker guitars, except when really cranked up.

I know a lot of people seem to be in a rush to fit a bigger speaker (or re-house the whole amp in a bigger cab so they can use a 10 or 12" speaker), but I think that is missing the point of the amp: It's a sound that cuts through a mix nicely.

It's nothing like the Blues Junior I used to own and absolutely nothing like my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb, but that's good because I don't see the point having amps that do the same job/sound.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'll put one in my cart again and buy it. Small amps are fun. Small and cheap amps are funner. I have a handful of small and/or cheap amps, but there's room for another.
Blackstar HT1H
Marshall DSL1H
Greta
Gretsch Electromatic G5222
H&K Tubemeister 5
Vox AC4C1
Supro Blues King 8

rich85

Reaction score
I have one of these with the 'Fame' logo (I'm sure they are the same amp inside though). It works really well with my Strat, Tele and P90 Les Pauls. If playing at home (or mic'd up) you can get a really nice clean tone from it too. I've used mine for small open mic venues and with my 60s Tribute it gives a really nice crunch when I dig in. Not so good (IMHO) with my humbucker guitars, except when really cranked up.

I know a lot of people seem to be in a rush to fit a bigger speaker (or re-house the whole amp in a bigger cab so they can use a 10 or 12" speaker), but I think that is missing the point of the amp: It's a sound that cuts through a mix nicely.

It's nothing like the Blues Junior I used to own and absolutely nothing like my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb, but that's good because I don't see the point having amps that do the same job/sound.
Exactly. The point of the 8" speaker is so you get power amp saturation and speaker breakup at lower volumes than other amps. Still loud though. Or just pure chime at low volumes.

The Pro Junior is perfect with 15 watts and 10" Alnico. Gets over a drummer with speaker breakup if you want it.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The point of the 8" speaker is so you get power amp saturation and speaker breakup at lower volumes than other amps.

Actually, the point of the 8" speaker was it was the cheapest speaker Leo could put in the cheapest cabinet. :rofl: :rofl:

Champs really come alive with a quality 10" speaker. The problem with an 8" speaker is it can't move enough air to properly project mid & low freqs. I do realize amazing music has been recorded with champs, but it was captured with a mic against the speaker which does a better job of picking up what our ears can't 10' away from the amp.

Latest Threads