Joined a Gym

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife and I signed up with Planet Fitness and had our first workout. It's long overdue for both of us. My wife has had two spine surgeries in the past year and a half. Coupled with "that which can't be named" we have packed on the pounds and turned into blobs of Jell-O. It felt great to workout, but today I ache all over. We've been walking 2 - 3 miles four or five days a week, but that won't reverse all the over eating. And in the summer I row about 2.5 miles most days. Making matters worse, my wife is an amazing cook.

I'm tipping the scales at 178 lbs and want to get to 165 (less fat, more muscle) by summer. It has more to do with over eating than under exercising. We hope to get to the gym four or five days a week. I have quite a bit of joint pain (shoulders, elbows, knees) which complicate things a bit, but they have machines that really help with it. And they have a hydro-massage bed that is a joy.

danohat

Reaction score
Excellent. Best thing for you. My wife and oldest daughter pump iron 3 times a week in our basement. I'm getting in shape for my work season which starts in late March. I need a little weights, a lot of stretching, and body weight exercise.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Planet fitness near our work is located near the woods that the homeless has made into a encampment sort of.
Its like 9.98 a month so many of the homeless join the place for the bathrooms and showers..Not sure of the rules but I guess there is nothing PF can do about it..

Last edited:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started working out a month ago as well. Was drinking 5 sodas a day. Now drinking 0 and water. Counting calories and working out 3 times a week on bowflex and elliptical. I hate every second of it.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice, I sort of want a bowflex for the convenience but I like my free weights. I wish I had one of those large weight machines like in the gym.

When I was playing for a living I was always around 140-150lbs but since I started working out and not starving for a living I've gone up to 195.

..though I probably need to lose 10 lbs of belly fat, I'm glad to finally be putting weight on. Too many years spent skinny and hungry.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, I sort of want a bowflex for the convenience but I like my free weights. I wish I had one of those large weight machines like in the gym.

When I was playing for a living I was always around 140-150lbs but since I started working out and not starving for a living I've gone up to 195.

..though I probably need to lose 10 lbs of belly fat, I'm glad to finally be putting weight on. Too many years spent skinny and hungry.
Bowflex works good for HIIT Training. If you're not looking to lift a large amount of weight, but do smaller incriments in sets, rest, more sets, you can really get a good sweat going.

Howard2k

Reaction score
I started working out a month ago as well. Was drinking 5 sodas a day. Now drinking 0 and water. Counting calories and working out 3 times a week on bowflex and elliptical. I hate every second of it.

You might like it more once you start seeing results. Or maybe not :laugh2:
Good playlists also help.

Different people are motivated in different ways. I do almost exclusively cardio (running outside in spring/summer/fall), running up and down the stair well in winter, and some calisthenics (pull ups, push ups etc). The first few days of any exercise routine change suck, but I focus on just making it habitual to get some exercise every day and that works for me. I also sometimes track my progress on a spreadsheet so I can trend my results. It's cool to see that the shit I'm doing is making a difference.

Last edited:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
oh I like that Strat! I thought I'd pretty much seen every variation of color/pguard/fretboard but that's nice.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice @Soul Tramp, can I ask how tall you are? I went from 200 to 240 during the “thing”, then I reversed course and got to 190. I’d like to get to 175 as a walking around weight which is what I was about 10 years ago, and is the magic balance of I look pretty good and don’t have to kill myself to maintain it. I’ve been jogging 5-7 miles most days of the week and loosely intermittent fasting.

Edit: I’m 5’10”

Deftone

Reaction score
We have an Elliptical/Recumbent. I do 20min at least 3 times weekly and I watch YouTube vids to make the time go by. We also have a Smith machine and free wights in the garage.

At 5'11" my heaviest I was 180lbs. Now I'm down to about 170 and I'd like to hit and stay at 165.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I need to join a gym or at least get off the couch and go for walks or a bike ride. I'm 5'10" at 260lbs.... gradually went from 180 to 260 in about 8 years. Wife is an awesome cook.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice @Soul Tramp, can I ask how tall you are? I went from 200 to 240 during the “thing”, then I reversed course and got to 190. I’d like to get to 175 as a walking around weight which is what I was about 10 years ago, and is the magic balance of I look pretty good and don’t have to kill myself to maintain it. I’ve been jogging 5-7 miles most days of the week and loosely intermittent fasting.

Edit: I’m 5’10”
You’re 5’10”?!?

Latest Threads