Joined a gym today

LocoTex

Reaction score
It took me about 4 weeks before I could see a readily visible difference. I am pretty slim, though.

rogue3

Reaction score
I am not sure how accurate this is but I am getting stronger quick compared to way back when I had never lifted before. I am also replacing free weights with machines as I move forward and find suitable replacements.
I trained at various points in my life.Starting Offensive Left Tackle here. I was THE first long haired mullet on the O line:lol:...running trap blocks and kickoff return teams(i loved hitting!)
@ 19 i could bench 275 for reps(sets of 5), quarter squats @ 425.I did a record 675 consecutive sit-ups in 25 minutes,and quit because it got boring.:thumb:.

I continued to lift on and off for 25 years,then switched to hard all weather biking for 10 years(50,000 kms+).Blowing my own horn,lol.But everytime i pick up the barbell,or those dumbbells(currently), muscles swell and come back quite quick.

We were students of Mr Universe,Arnold S.back in my high school days, and followed his protein powder and nutrition advice from the mags when he was king at Golds Gym in Cali.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Just finished legs and shoulders. Weight is dropping again. Setting in a sushi place with the grandson. Gonna see how much weight I can put back on.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
20211022_114716_resize_15.jpg

BEFORE
20211022_120626_resize_7.jpg

AFTER

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Having a hard time sticking to the once a day eating. Since I started lifting again I am starving all the time.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I wouldn't eat once a day, especially when you are working out. Eat your regular three per day but eat healthier. I did that and lost weight and built muscle.
Normally I would agree 100%. Right now my main goal is fat loss. The fasting helps with that. Funny thing, the wife and I have been wanting pizza so yesterday we broke down and had pizza. I cannot believe that I used to think feeling like that was normal lol.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
People are kind if ridiculous. When you are fat, they "worry about your health" and "you really need to lose some weight"...... when you do lose weight it's then "are you sure that's healthy".... "You're going to get sick from lack of (insert some vitamin they think is only in whatever fruit or vegetable they think you need)".... "You're getting too skinny".

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good for you. Take it slow. Your first days will be sore so don’t overdo it. I’m not a doctor just someone struggling to keep lifting into my 50’s!

I pretty much go 3 times a week now and do all the major lifts, squat, dead’s, pull-ups, bench, zercher, rows for a couple of working sets and try not to worry about going heavy most of the time even if I could. If you haven’t lifted for a while just doing body weight exercises is going to make you sore. I don’t try to work around injuries I just try not to do anything that hurts at all 99% of the time. That’s what works for me. I can still bench my body weight 30 times at 210 lbs!

Had my bench up to 500 raw for a short time drug free in my 30’s. Hitting 40 sucked. My shoulders and elbows paid for it. Lifting with arthritis is a constant balancing act of what is too much so listen to your body. I overtrained too much and lifted when I should have rested more…. Now it’s all about that balancing less is more approach.

Last edited:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Good for you. Take it slow. Your first days will be sore so don’t overdo it. I’m not a doctor just someone struggling to keep lifting into my 50’s!

I pretty much go 3 times a week now and do all the major lifts, squat, dead’s, pull-ups, bench, zercher, rows for a couple of working sets and try not to worry about going heavy most of the time even if I could. If you haven’t lifted for a while just doing body weight exercises is going to make you sore. I don’t try to work around injuries I just try not to do anything that hurts at all 99% of the time. That’s what works for me. I can still bench my body weight 30 times at 210 lbs!

Had my bench up to 500 raw for a short time drug free in my 30’s. Hitting 40 sucked. My shoulders and elbows paid for it. Lifting with arthritis is a constant balancing act of what is too much so listen to your body. I overtrained too much and lifted when I should have rested more…. Now it’s all about that balancing less is more approach.
Watched an interview with Ronnie Coleman yesterday. He destroyed his body. In a wheelchair/crutches now. My weights are weak lol.... my shoulders have been weak my whole life, add in injuries to both and I cannot do anything heavy. I am literally doing lateral raises with 5 lbs just trying to strengthen them some. I was repping 400 lb deads when I got hurt years ago. My bench has always been weak. I have repped 285 for 3 and that's my best ever. My shoulders just will not take it. There is a teacher at the local school who DOES NOT LIFT. And looks the part of a middle aged teacher who can walk in with dress clothes and press 500....grab a flag pole and hold himself out from it....I will never be strong again but I hopefully stay feeling OK longer.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I haven't put a goal on the weight since I started this....I want to try to hit 210 by Thanksgiving and 200 by new years.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Try to work around the injuries....

as Fret Hopper basically communicated.....

Do not rush it !!

Set up a work out that is basic and easy.......

Get some cardio and high rep weights in....stretching for us old guys is also awesome ....and frequently neglected....

Start out lite....and then stay lite.....and once you feel like you can go heavier....DON'T !!....just stay lite for a few months

Yep....take a few months and build the habit and movement memory.....

Learn what you can and cannot do comfortably.

After you develop consistency and routine add a few reps here and there.......if that goes well for a month or two......then consider adding a few lbs or sets.......a few

Your old....you'll never be Arnold......no need to lift heavy or even attempt it.

Any exercise or motion that causes pain should be avoided.....not worked thru.....!!

I am staring at age 57.......

I have several fairly serious injuries from life and manage to still get a decent work out in....

I lift zero heavy weights (kinda relative to individual).....nothing I can't do 4-5 sets of 12-20 reps without pain or discomfort.

I badly need a knee replacement....right knee
I've had cervical laminaplasty which includes 4 plates and 24 screws
Arthritic right hip from compensating for right knee
Heart surgery to repair aortic stenosis at birth
problematic chord lipoma on right side
2- 5mm bone spurs heel of left foot

Still get my work in.......probably not the most balanced.....but I can only do what I can do

Have fun with it......great activity for you and your grandson....
No idea why I just seen this. Thanks for the advice. I cannot lift heavy but I do push what I can do. Wanna REALLY burn up muscles try some negative reps. This will take a spotter but do whatever exercise to failure...then have the spotter assist the rep and you lower the weight under control...do this to failure again. Will eat up the muscle .

Zungle

Reaction score
No idea why I just seen this. Thanks for the advice. I cannot lift heavy but I do push what I can do. Wanna REALLY burn up muscles try some negative reps. This will take a spotter but do whatever exercise to failure...then have the spotter assist the rep and you lower the weight under control...do this to failure again. Will eat up the muscle .

Steve,

I've made a few good work out runs after age of 50.......

Go back and take a look at all of my injuries and surgeries.....

Then take a look at these pics.....

I lift zero heavy weights.....my body won't do it

If I move up or push to hard I end up with tendonitis or an arthritic flare up in my neck,shoulder or right knee......

The only leg work out I can do is elliptical and recumbent bike and calf raises....
And I have to really monitor that.....or knee will act up badly...

Here's me.....still have some size....

38 years old...
BF2E9AB6-D535-4B99-90F4-258BDFBBC84B.jpeg

Neck surgery 47 years old.....
997318C8-8CC5-4429-8A03-F3700FF3E0E5.png

AC1EC786-C4FC-4316-BEF9-AD818A38DA67.png

50th birthday

D34B44F9-227F-44A8-9E77-6CC9E00CD9F8.jpeg

52 years old

D3210539-DA96-4605-BAED-763E9D9FC34C.jpeg

June 2021 age 56

E232055C-6CD4-4D81-AB60-97BD7E08F856.jpeg

Few nights ago-deeper into 56 LOL

2633E8BC-2238-46E0-9510-F7E159147F75.jpeg
273CCD8C-1540-4032-BB99-EA3836B30CA6.jpeg

I'm gonna only increase reps thru end of year, add zero weight and cut calories if possible.....

See if I can tone up a little more but still maintain some muscle.......nothing radical.

So far this round.....neck,knee etc holding up decent and I'd love to keep it that way.....just your common old man aches and pains.

Knee replacement is coming....just trying to hold it off for a while....

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score

Here's some of my basic lifts and weight #'s

I always start with 10lb dumbells...never more.

And I ladder up in 5lb increments to my 4 set 12-15 rep weight.
Then ladder back down to 10lbs doing burn out reps.

Dumbells...12-15 reps 4 sets

Dumbell over head press 30lbs...per side
Dumbell Bicep curls 30lbs...per side
Dumbell reverse bicep curl 15lbs..per side.burn out only
Dumbell Shoulder shrug 40lbs..per side
Dumbell Over head Tricep-35 lbs....1 dumbell two hands

Smith machine free weights-3-4 sets....

Standard Bench....150lbs...ladder up and down ....anything more neck tightens...right shoulder tracks poorly

Incline Bench.....120lbs.....no ladder already warmed up

Lat pull 100lbs.....no ladder

Peck deck.....100lbs....no ladder

Calf Raises with bar 100-125lbs......20+ reps-4 sets

Elliptical 2 miles 1-2 days a week

Recumbent 6-10 miles 1-2 times a week

Flat and side Straight leg raises 2 times

Thats all I have time for......

It'll never get me balanced or really big.....but its all I can at this point in life.

Last edited:

Latest Threads