Joined a gym today

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Brilliant really… I am trying to put myself in the mood again to go to gym but so far I can’t… last time I really was on gym discipline was back in 2005.. Since that time I couldn’t get in that mood again.. I made few come backs since then but none of them lasted more than few weeks.. I still need a push !
I tried a few times but the injuries stopped me.. the use of dumbells and the machines are really helping.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Funny, I am doing a 3 day split at the gym. Mon, wed, fri.....all I think about the off days is that I should run in and try machines that I haven't tried yet...or do the ab machine...or get on the treadmill. It's only been 2 weeks but I am remembering how much I used to like it.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
10514605_10204116045559510_880091422321104481_n.jpg

Old pic. Me on the left at about 325 and 36 yrs old (app)...then on the right at about 40 yrs old and 230ish... I got hurt and went back up to 340 lbs. I have less muscle now but weigh less than the right pic now.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Ohio,
This is just my .02.
You can build muscle - don't buy into the myths about getting old. You know from your prior experience that you need to eat protein in sufficient quantities to build muscle.

On your off days (Tuesday-Thursdays) go in and do cardio on a stationary bike, lighter weights, or do stretching.

On a side note, I had shoulder issues and found that I really needed to work on the posterior deltoid. So i have two shoulder routines - one works the posterior delts and the triceps; another is for overall shoulder work. Then there are variations - one workout will be a "push" series, next workout will be a "pull" series. If you work the rear delts keep in mind that you shouldn't really go too heavy as it can lead to bigger problems (ok - go as heavy as you want, it is your body).

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ohio,
This is just my .02.
You can build muscle - don't buy into the myths about getting old. You know from your prior experience that you need to eat protein in sufficient quantities to build muscle.

On your off days (Tuesday-Thursdays) go in and do cardio on a stationary bike, lighter weights, or do stretching.

On a side note, I had shoulder issues and found that I really needed to work on the posterior deltoid. So i have two shoulder routines - one works the posterior delts and the triceps; another is for overall shoulder work. Then there are variations - one workout will be a "push" series, next workout will be a "pull" series. If you work the rear delts keep in mind that you shouldn't really go too heavy as it can lead to bigger problems (ok - go as heavy as you want, it is your body).
Thanks.. I am not doing ANYTHING heavy. I am sure my left rotator is torn.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
You guys advocating for machines are right. Switched from dumbells to machines for shoulder work...WAY better

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a question for those more knowledgable. Is it remotely possible that the muscle I gained 16-20 yrs ago is coming back already? My wife has commented already that around my neck/upper chest I do not look as scrawny (I call it skinny fat) already. My biceps are definitely more defined already and it's only been 2 weeks.

Zungle

Reaction score
I have a question for those more knowledgable. Is it remotely possible that the muscle I gained 16-20 yrs ago is coming back already? My wife has commented already that around my neck/upper chest I do not look as scrawny (I call it skinny fat) already. My biceps are definitely more defined already and it's only been 2 weeks.
2 weeks,............doubtful.

Zungle

Reaction score
That's what I thought... I thi k maybe the fat loss is deceiving me lol
Yeah....with the weight loss muscle tone would be more visible.

I've felt same way....but whenever I'm starting from scratch due to a long layoff there is generally no real visible gains for about 8-10 weeks......

rogue3

Reaction score
The way i understand it is,if you trained intensely,for long periods in the past, you added muscle cells.When you stop,they don't disappear.When you re-start training,you activate those cells.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
The way i understand it is,if you trained intensely,for long periods in the past, you added muscle cells.When you stop,they don't disappear.When you re-start training,you activate those cells.
Hmmm

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am not sure how accurate this is but I am getting stronger quick compared to way back when I had never lifted before. I am also replacing free weights with machines as I move forward and find suitable replacements.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
YES!... I know this sounds like a girl but I am wearing size 32 pants right now. I was (at one time ) in 46-48 and was in 44s I think just this year.

Latest Threads