Joined a gym today

Zungle

Reaction score
Didn't touch a bar today. Dumbells.. very small dumbells and a machine. I used to lift heavy [for me] and I have 2 healed compression fractures in my spine . According to the chiro it's from the weights. I have to work around 2 bad shoulders, one very bad... my back...bad arthritis in my left knee..... and a small reoccurring (seems to go away then randomly come back) umbilical hernia. Other than all of that I am just weak as hell lol. I really cannot do any kind of overhead presses. My shoulders are so bad I am afraid of dropping weights on myself...I never had an ego in the gym.. .. no plans to get one now.
Hit the cardio.........get the hernia looked at by a Dr.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Ohio,
I can relate to a lot of your ailments. I have 2 vertebrae with stress fractures (from extreme deceleration); arthritis in my hips, hip replacement left hip 2 years ago; mild arthritis in wrists ( from a total of 3 breaks and a bone graft).
And I have had two hernia ops - inguinal hernia repaired in 2010- umbilical hernia fixed in 2016.

Working out makes me feel better all over.

Get that umbilical hernia fixed! They do not fix themselves.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ohio,
I can relate to a lot of your ailments. I have 2 vertebrae with stress fractures (from extreme deceleration); arthritis in my hips, hip replacement left hip 2 years ago; mild arthritis in wrists ( from a total of 3 breaks and a bone graft).
And I have had two hernia ops - inguinal hernia repaired in 2010- umbilical hernia fixed in 2016.

Working out makes me feel better all over.

Get that umbilical hernia fixed! They do not fix themselves.
99% of the time I forget the hernia is there..when it reminds me..it's not fun

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a regular Gym goer in my 20's. Just feels like to much work in my 50's. I should really do it though.

Zungle

Reaction score
I was a regular Gym goer in my 20's. Just feels like to much work in my 50's. I should really do it though.
Break up your work out into 3-4 days......

I do .....try it to keep it manageable.

If I feel sore or tired I'll just push schedule back a day.....never two though.

Last edited:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Second workout done. I cannot believe how weak I am compared to the past.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am remembering one thing from my working out days.....I am STARVING.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Third workout....legs are still ok...my shoulders are wrecked. Zero strength

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My shoulders are limiting me way more than my strength. I am weak as a kitten but could do more if my shoulders would cooperate. Not pushing it, gym is basically empty when I am there so no one to try to impress lol.

Zungle

Reaction score
My shoulders are limiting me way more than my strength. I am weak as a kitten but could do more if my shoulders would cooperate. Not pushing it, gym is basically empty when I am there so no one to try to impress lol.

Yeah my neck limit my workouts big time......its caused weakness in right shoulder.....

I just do whats manageable.....

My right knee is also a mess , making cardio a problem as well, so I have just been doing a couple miles on elliptical here and there......

Last edited:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Yeah my neck limit my workouts big time......its cause weakness in right shoulder.....

I just do whats manageable.....

My right knee is also a mess , making cardio a problem as well, so I have just been doing a couple miles on elliptical here and there......
My cardio is awful. When I was doing judo, it was pretty good.right now all I am doing is 10 minutes on the treadmill after each workout and upping the speed a little each time. My k ee won't take much but I have to do something.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Weight is stuck at 225-227. Has been for over a month. Losing 80 lbs in 4 months was cool but now it's just stopped. My old tricks have not worked... maybe the gym will help. I am too old to build much if any muscle without some help. I hope I can regain some of what I had 16 yrs ago. I am more concerned with getting more fat off of me.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Weight finally moved!!! 224 this morning. I am really enjoying the gym
20211013_092503_resize_21.jpg

Seven

Reaction score
Man I love the gym. Got bit by the bug back in the mid 70's and have been training since. My wife and I train together most days and get up @3:45 so we can get our workout in before she heads to work.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Man I love the gym. Got bit by the bug back in the mid 70's and have been training since. My wife and I train together most days and get up @3:45 so we can get our workout in before she heads to work.
Sometimes I wonder what I could have accomplished if I hadn't gotten injured. This is my first time back in 16 years. I got hurt doing deadlift reps with 400 lbs. I am doing 140 lbs now. The loss of strength is very discouraging.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Took the grandson and signed us both up at a local gym. I am not sure all of my injuries will allow it but I miss lifting and he loves it.
Brilliant really… I am trying to put myself in the mood again to go to gym but so far I can’t… last time I really was on gym discipline was back in 2005.. Since that time I couldn’t get in that mood again.. I made few come backs since then but none of them lasted more than few weeks.. I still need a push !

Latest Threads