Joined a gym today

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an addiction though for many once you start. I have a few friends that used to be drinkers or druggies and they started going to the gym. Now thats all they do. Just replaced one addictions with another, however I'd venture a guess that one is much healthier. :)

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i just want to functio normally in my 80s,seen too many people lose their muscles and they cant walk,etc.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
AS Bobby Hog said, start light. There is a lot of info out on the net/youtube for older folks who are starting to work out. I am 62 and started working out again back in June. Our subdivision has a nice little fitness center in our Community Center - nothing fancy. I lift 3-4 times/week and do cardio on the elliptical and stationary bike 2-3 times a week. I always take off at least 1 day a week, and if I don't take a 2nd day off, I will have a real light workout for a day. Lighter weights or resistance than I would normally do.

I don't lift to impress anybody but myself. And I put form over function. I will do a set till I break form, rest 90 seconds, another set, till I do 4 sets. Typically doing 15-20 reps per set - so you know I am using a lighter weight. If I am not doing enough reps for that particular exercise, I drop the weight down. And before I start an exercise I use a light weight to warm up the muscles and get loose. I have a day for shoulder, chest/shoulders, and arms. Sometimes I do a core day.

I emphasize form - I see soooo mannnny in the gym, young and old, using poor form, and trying to move big weight...with very little range of motion, and for maybe two sets of 3-4 reps.

Since June I have lost about 20 lbs, moved 2 notches tighter on my belt, and feeling much more energetic than I have in a while. And since we got our rescue Sheltie Finley back in June, I am walking a whole lot more. I track everything using a Max Buzz (like a Fit Bit) and the Virgin Pulse app. Plus using Virgin Pulse I get lower medical insurance premiums thru work and I can earn up to $75/qtr for hitting certain goals. Just earned my first $75 this quarter. There are gift certs for just about anything you want.

Yeah, it can get addicting. I do it because as I get older I want to fight off the arthritis that rears its ugly head now and again. I want to be as active as I can. That won't happen if I am sitting on my ass and letting myself slowly self destruct.

LocoTex

Reaction score
At 40 I was an animal..judo, jujitsu, weights, cardio..... bad form on a deadlift and it went to hell. I am down 115 pounds from my heaviest weight post injury. Lifting scares the shit out of me so I am confident that I will be careful. I got badly humbled today by a 72 year old amish man. He was doing lifting that I physically could not do loading my truck. 16 years ago I could have picked him and what he was helping load and walked off with the whole thing. ...... getting old sucks
Do your lifting on weight machines if you can, not free weights. Your balance degrades with age making it harder to use free weights safely.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Loco,
I disagree on the machine versus free weights. Machines lock you into a fixed movement which is not always good for lifting or muscle development. Granted you do have a higher degree of safety on a machine.

But, with free weights you can reduce stress on joints like your wrists. Additionally, you can strengthen the muscles you need for balance by lifting free weights. Machines isolate the muscle you are working, whereas free weights use additional muscles to support and balance the weights during the movement. If it is a concern, lift lighter. You do not need to lift heavy to build muscle mass or strength. Lift lighter weight, do more sets and/or reps and the strength will follow. Then you can use more weight.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Bought railroad ties today and got tired of waiting on help to unload them. I didn't think I could do it but unloaded 10 real railroad ties and placed em where they needed to be. Last one I almost dropped on myself

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Loco,
I disagree on the machine versus free weights. Machines lock you into a fixed movement which is not always good for lifting or muscle development. Granted you do have a higher degree of safety on a machine.

But, with free weights you can reduce stress on joints like your wrists. Additionally, you can strengthen the muscles you need for balance by lifting free weights. Machines isolate the muscle you are working, whereas free weights use additional muscles to support and balance the weights during the movement. If it is a concern, lift lighter. You do not need to lift heavy to build muscle mass or strength. Lift lighter weight, do more sets and/or reps and the strength will follow. Then you can use more weight.
I agree with this. Even dumbell presses over barbell for freedom of movement.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Ohio,
I use free weights as much as I can. My wrists are a concern for me. I have broken my left wrist twice, and had a bone graft done for the 2nd break. They took a piece of bone off my right hip. With the 2nd break the wrist was in a cast for 6 months, with pins holding the graft in place. Got a new fiberglass cast every 4 weeks. Cast isolated the thumb and went up around my bent elbow. This locks the wrist in place where you cannot bend it at all.

I have also broken my right wrist, though not as severely as the left. It was in a cast for 6 months also, with the wrist isolated in the same manner as mentioned above.

In both wrists it was the scaphoid / navicular bone that broke. It was basically crushed in the 2nd break on the left, as it broke in the same place it previously broke. That first break was one I didn't realize and basically thought was a bad sprain.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I left the gym back in the COVID closing days and never looked back.

I picked up a bench, some free weights, dumbbells, resistance bands, big ball and a spin bike (from my old gym). All-in about $500.

With that and my bicycle I'm able to get a good workout. The spin bike is for those winter and rainy days when I won't bike outdoors.

It's not about the savings of $100/month - but, that does matter. Moreover, it's not having to deal with the gym rats, Stepford Wives and smoothie drinkers every day. I really hated that atmosphere.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I left the gym back in the COVID closing days and never looked back.

I picked up a bench, some free weights, dumbbells, resistance bands, big ball and a spin bike (from my old gym). All-in about $500.

With that and my bicycle I'm able to get a good workout. The spin bike is for those winter and rainy days when I won't bike outdoors.

It's not about the savings of $100/month - but, that does matter. Moreover, it's not having to deal with the gym rats, Stepford Wives and smoothie drinkers every day. I really hated that atmosphere.
I used to have a nice set up. Power rack and all. The gym we joined is a 24 hour one.. after 7am until after noon it is empty. 20 bucks a month each.

Zungle

Reaction score
Yeah....we left the gyms years ago....just for convenience.....

We have 2 workout areas in our home.......

One area is in the garage.....I did some work in the garage, smooth coat,paint,trim,etc so it would be decent

I have a Body Solid Smith machine with 1" free weights etc.....

Also a decent Nordic Trac Treadmill and a compact elliptical.....

IMO, for anyone interested,the Body Solid /Powerline Smith machine with all the cable options and bench is the single best value on the market and has been for 20+ years.....combine with a dumbell rack and your set for life......it is truly a good home machine....and they still make them.....new ones have plate and pin option....

Mine is original version of this.....

FEEA9273-0107-4B77-A9AF-74EA680DFDC1.png

7D2C6ABB-03E3-45B4-AC86-4CCB8DAFC583.png

The second area is the downstairs den...now converted to fitness room....

In it, I have a Hoist H310 weight machine....nice little machine....not retail junk...my dumbell rack....and a recumbent and treadmill.....couldn't get them in pic.....

This set up is right off family room so many times when I'm posting late on MLP....(like Bobby LOL)...I'm going in and out of here between posts....

BBDEF76A-C700-4953-BC28-09CBCD0EA8E0.png

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
Heading out to garage now to do some chest work.....lite chest work

Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Pec Deck.....

Today is last lift of this stage......

Start new stage tomorrow....

Zungle

Reaction score
Yeah....we left the gyms years ago....just for convenience.....

We have 2 workout areas in our home.......

One area is in the garage.....I did some work in the garage, smooth coat,paint,trim,etc so it would be decent

I have a Body Solid Smith machine with 1" free weights etc.....

Also a decent Nordic Trac Treadmill and a compact elliptical.....

IMO, for anyone interested,the Body Solid /Powerline Smith machine with all the cable options and bench is the single best value on the market and has been for 20+ years.....combine with a dumbell rack and your set for life......it is truly a good home machine....and they still make them.....new ones have plate and pin option....

Mine is original version of this.....

View attachment 563497
View attachment 563498

The second area is the downstairs den...now converted to fitness room....

In it, I have a Hoist H310 weight machine....nice little machine....not retail junk...my dumbell rack....and a recumbent and treadmill.....couldn't get them in pic.....

This set up is right off family room so many times when I'm posting late on MLP....(like Bobby LOL)...I'm going in and out of here between posts....

View attachment 563499
The only reason we have 2 areas is weather and my neck surgery 2012.......

I bought the Hoist H310 so I could rehab easily and be indoors.....

And the larger Nordic Trac and Elliptical in garage were pretty much free I just had to move them.....you see these types of deals on CL and Offer Up fairly often.....

People are not using them and need them gone

matthew bear

Reaction score
@OHIOSTEVE as others have said, the machines are your friend… you can still get to the free weights but machines are great for keeping form where it needs to be. Good luck amigo!

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
@OHIOSTEVE as others have said, the machines are your friend… you can still get to the free weights but machines are great for keeping form where it needs to be. Good luck amigo!
Didn't touch a bar today. Dumbells.. very small dumbells and a machine. I used to lift heavy [for me] and I have 2 healed compression fractures in my spine . According to the chiro it's from the weights. I have to work around 2 bad shoulders, one very bad... my back...bad arthritis in my left knee..... and a small reoccurring (seems to go away then randomly come back) umbilical hernia. Other than all of that I am just weak as hell lol. I really cannot do any kind of overhead presses. My shoulders are so bad I am afraid of dropping weights on myself...I never had an ego in the gym.. .. no plans to get one now.

integra evan

Reaction score
I have a confession to make...I stopped going to the gym. Sorry, I just had to get that weight off my chest.

Latest Threads