Joined a gym today

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I workout almost every day. Almost worked out Monday, almost worked out Tuesday...
I kid, of course. I've had a physical job since '79; lifting, bending, squatting, kneeling etc. So I don't exercise on top of that. At almost 67 I can stand up from a kneeling position without falling over :laugh2:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Try to work around the injuries....

as Fret Hopper basically communicated.....

Do not rush it !!

Set up a work out that is basic and easy.......

Get some cardio and high rep weights in....stretching for us old guys is also awesome ....and frequently neglected....

Start out lite....and then stay lite.....and once you feel like you can go heavier....DON'T !!....just stay lite for a few months

Yep....take a few months and build the habit and movement memory.....

Learn what you can and cannot do comfortably.

After you develop consistency and routine add a few reps here and there.......if that goes well for a month or two......then consider adding a few lbs or sets.......a few

Your old....you'll never be Arnold......no need to lift heavy or even attempt it.

Any exercise or motion that causes pain should be avoided.....not worked thru.....!!

I am staring at age 57.......

I have several fairly serious injuries from life and manage to still get a decent work out in....

I lift zero heavy weights (kinda relative to individual).....nothing I can't do 4-5 sets of 12-20 reps without pain or discomfort.

I badly need a knee replacement....right knee
I've had cervical laminaplasty which includes 4 plates and 24 screws
Arthritic right hip from compensating for right knee
Heart surgery to repair aortic stenosis at birth
problematic chord lipoma on right side
2- 5mm bone spurs heel of left foot

Still get my work in.......probably not the most balanced.....but I can only do what I can do

Have fun with it......great activity for you and your grandson....
56...torn rotator left shoulder (undiagnosed but I am sure) arthritis both knees left one BAD.. Bad back...right shoulder weaknfrom a bike "wreck". I have no delusions but I have a hard time easing into stuff.... But I know I have to with this. I would love to get back into rolling but one bad backncrank and I would be done.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
56...torn rotator left shoulder (undiagnosed but I am sure) arthritis both knees left one BAD.. Bad back...right shoulder weaknfrom a bike "wreck". I have no delusions but I have a hard time easing into stuff.... But I know I have to with this. I would love to get back into rolling but one bad backncrank and I would be done.
Start slow with sissy weights, lots of reps doing the right movement every time.
Then add some weight slowly and regularly.
Eventually you'll get to a more advanced stage but you won't have hurt yourself getting there.
Easy does it.

Zungle

Reaction score
Yeah......

When I was 50 I was on a good work out roll.......

But I was slowly pushing too hard, thinkin' I was 30/40 years old again......feeling too good.

Well.....Came up with a bit of shoulder pain, eventually tendonitis.......set me back 6 months and made it hard to work at my shop....

Well.....Now I know better.

Currently I've been working out regularly for the last 4-5 months.....this time at almost 57 I'm really pacing myself .......

This go around I set 3 very moderate goals .......tomorrow goal #1 will be accomplished....

Goal #1...stay consistent for 4 months without injury or aggravating anything .

Next up....Goal 2....add lite cardio(hard to do with knee and hip), maintain consistency without injury for 4 more months and drop 20lbs.

Zungle

Reaction score
Start slow with sissy weights, lots of reps doing the right movement every time.
Then add some weight slowly and regularly.
Eventually you'll get to a more advanced stage but you won't have hurt yourself getting there.
Easy does it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spot on....

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
At 40 I was an animal..judo, jujitsu, weights, cardio..... bad form on a deadlift and it went to hell. I am down 115 pounds from my heaviest weight post injury. Lifting scares the shit out of me so I am confident that I will be careful. I got badly humbled today by a 72 year old amish man. He was doing lifting that I physically could not do loading my truck. 16 years ago I could have picked him and what he was helping load and walked off with the whole thing. ...... getting old sucks

redcoats1976

Reaction score
At 40 I was an animal..judo, jujitsu, weights, cardio..... bad form on a deadlift and it went to hell. I am down 115 pounds from my heaviest weight post injury. Lifting scares the shit out of me so I am confident that I will be careful. I got badly humbled today by a 72 year old amish man. He was doing lifting that I physically could not do loading my truck. 16 years ago I could have picked him and what he was helping load and walked off with the whole thing. ...... getting old sucks
yeah it does.20 years ago i could put a turbo 400 transmission into the trunk of a car without scratching the paint.these days i do 50 reps of much lighter(50-75 pounds) on most of the panet fitness machines,but im up to 3000 meters in 15 minutes at max weight on the rowing machine.must be good cardio,last night when i got done i was panting like a dog having puppies.

mdubya

Reaction score
Gym membership: guaranteed to make your wallet lighter.

I say, "Break a leg." The gym is not for me.

Last edited:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
I've never enjoyed something in life less than going to a gym.
wait till you get dragged to visit your BIL in the assisted living facility.my wife is the only one in her whole family that will visit visit the evil tempered old roach.at least you get something out of going to the gym.wait,i take that back.i have decided that if the day comes that im going into one im going to take a long walk off the flagler beach pier after sunset and hope im eaten by a shark or drown,so theres that...

Latest Threads