Joined a gym today

LocoTex

Reaction score
You'll enjoy it. I joined up about 4 months ago and glad I did. I look and feel way better.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
You just have to ease in to it. If you used to lift/workout, don't go in looking to pick up where you left off.

Proper diet helps with soreness and energy. Eat fruits/veggies for the anti-inflammatory benefits, like berries, cherries, strawberries, bananas (for potassium), etc. And you will need carbs for energy.

PeteK

Reaction score
I've come to terms with the fact that if I have a gym membership, I'm just paying a monthly tax for being fat. I don't actually go to the gym after a month or so, even when I pay a membership. So I might as well save the membership money and be honest with myself. :laugh2:

Zungle

Reaction score
Took the grandson and signed us both up at a local gym. I am not sure all of my injuries will allow it but I miss lifting and he loves it.
Try to work around the injuries....

as Fret Hopper basically communicated.....

Do not rush it !!

Set up a work out that is basic and easy.......

Get some cardio and high rep weights in....stretching for us old guys is also awesome ....and frequently neglected....

Start out lite....and then stay lite.....and once you feel like you can go heavier....DON'T !!....just stay lite for a few months

Yep....take a few months and build the habit and movement memory.....

Learn what you can and cannot do comfortably.

After you develop consistency and routine add a few reps here and there.......if that goes well for a month or two......then consider adding a few lbs or sets.......a few

Your old....you'll never be Arnold......no need to lift heavy or even attempt it.

Any exercise or motion that causes pain should be avoided.....not worked thru.....!!

I am staring at age 57.......

I have several fairly serious injuries from life and manage to still get a decent work out in....

I lift zero heavy weights (kinda relative to individual).....nothing I can't do 4-5 sets of 12-20 reps without pain or discomfort.

I badly need a knee replacement....right knee
I've had cervical laminaplasty which includes 4 plates and 24 screws
Arthritic right hip from compensating for right knee
Heart surgery to repair aortic stenosis at birth
problematic chord lipoma on right side
2- 5mm bone spurs heel of left foot

Still get my work in.......probably not the most balanced.....but I can only do what I can do

Have fun with it......great activity for you and your grandson....

Last edited:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gymnaseum: definition. :naughty:

/ ˈnôzēəm/
adverb
  • 1.referring to something that has been done or repeated so often that it has become annoying or tiresome:

Latest Threads