John Fogerty and Billy Gibbons New song Holy Grail

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I liked the guitar tones
I don't like hearing Fogerty singing in the style of ZZ Top,..(when his own singing style is so unique and awesome), it didn't sound like Fogerty to me.

Then again I haven't listened to any current Fogerty stuff so maybe that's just how he sings now.
(I love CCR though, but acknowledge that's his old stuff.)

Guitars sounded really good. Fat and raunchy.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I liked the guitar tones
I don't like hearing Fogerty singing in the style of ZZ Top,..(when his own singing style is so unique and awesome), it didn't sound like Fogerty to me.

Then again I haven't listened to any current Fogerty stuff so maybe that's just how he sings now.

I like it! I know what you mean about his voice though. But I think it's because it's mixed so differently than the CCR sound.

First....it's right up front...really loud in the mix.
Second, it's pretty dry....really dry.

So that combo makes it a bit shocking. Loud and dry.
CCR stuff almost always had a ton of slapback and the vox was tucked in the mix.

Last edited:

slug_maine

Reaction score
Two of my all time favorites teamed up so, yea, I love it. It would have to be just awful for me to not like it. I don't know too many 73 year olds that can carry a tune like Fogerty.

rogue3

Reaction score
I like it.That is a fun sounding tune, in a time honoured tradition.I'm sure it was a blast for both of them.

Fogerty is one-of-a-kind songwriter,unique. ZZ is too, and needs no backrounder. They both play for the love of it.That is it,really.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that tune.la Grange comes to mind. It's a style. The guitar as a rhythm instrument, riding that tadadatadadatadadadadada...drum/snare/cymbal. Of course Billy forged that in the fires of a 3-piece band.You have to mine that rhythm gold in any 3-piece.Fun to solo over. I prefer short sharp solos,for myself, and i would have thrown some nice slide work in that tune for variety.I'll bet they do live.

I have been working a more rhythmic approach to my playing for a few years now,certainly partly inspired by early ZZ, and that style is required learning.imho.

John Fogerty is someone i hope to cover one day...

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
... i mean these guys are having fun! I picked this up off the website. This is where i want to be at 73.Juke jointin it in my home town,and where i hope to end up one day.:D
Fogerty is beyond believing.:shock:...who was that guy?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
I liked the guitar tones

I couldn't have described it better

Tone deaf

Reaction score
It's no hit record, just a the recording of a fun jam with two guys who I like. Guitar sounds great, Fogherty's voice sounds pretty good. Not a great song, as pointed out above, kind of a one-off from "La Grange," but still lots of fun.

Beats the hell of out "Centerfield."

gibiphone2

Reaction score
Fogerty's sound is different. I could hear the influence of the "Bakersfield Sound" on Fogerty, especially mid to late CCR. Hell, he even gives a shout-out to Buck Owens in "Lookin Out My Back Door". But that's Rock and Roll isn't it--the assimilation of the pieces-- blues, gospel, jazz, r&b, country, folk and more. The incorporation of Bakersfield Sound (itself a subset of the more common commercial country music of the 50's and 60's) lent CCR its distinctive sound. And to my ear, Rev Willy and Fogerty can trade licks and swap vocals all night long. My 2 cents.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I liked the guitar tones

John done some different sounds. Like Summer of Love off of John's Revival Album which based off a sound of Eric Clapton's Cream Woman Tone and Sunshine of Your Love.

I think John is stepping outside the box which is good for him and nothing wrong with trying different styles music out.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
It's no hit record, just a the recording of a fun jam with two guys who I like. Guitar sounds great, Fogherty's voice sounds pretty good. Not a great song, as pointed out above, kind of a one-off from "La Grange," but still lots of fun.

Beats the hell of out "Centerfield."
Agree...

Sounds like a local bar band took ZZ music and threw their lyrics over it.

Theres worse and thankfully better.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Kind of the same blues riff they've been playing for decades, nothing really new, just rehashed stuff, sounds good, but sounds very familiar as is all their stuff.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Fogerty plays the Abbotsford Center over here on July 15th.

I saw him a few years ago at this venue and while the sound wasn't bad, I hated the uncomfortable bleacher seating.

I gotta say, for a gentleman with the number of years he has behind him, sounded stellar.

Latest Threads