Johan Strikes Again!

lunchbox

Reaction score
I don’t hear enough of a positive difference to make me want to pull all my speakers and sand them. Interesting idea though.

mdubya

Reaction score
I REALLY liked the roughed up one.

Johan seemed to like the heavily sanded one best.

Hey, @cooljuk you should try this with some G12H's! :thumb:

Wrench66

Reaction score
I was surprised at what a difference it made. I’ll try it on my MIC Greenback and see what it does. That speaker has always seemed harsh to my ears. I’ll report back in a few days with my results.

I thought the “roughed up” one sounded best.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I REALLY liked the roughed up one.

Johan seemed to like the heavily sanded one best.

Hey, @cooljuk you should try this with some G12H's! :thumb:

I was pretty stoked to see this vid pop up. I had considered doing different things to the dust cap and the doping (still want to!) but had not considered doing anything to the actual cone surface. Pretty cool!

These are my thoughts, copied from the commend section. Johan replied that he agrees about the mid scoop.

I think the roughed up one was the best sounding but I don't think either mod made the speaker much closer to the original G12Ms. The mod seemed to take off top end harshness, which is definitely nice. Comparing originals to reissues though, I find the primary difference is that originals are more scooped in the mids and with greater overall clarity and detail. The treble harshness isn't as significantly different as the mids and clarity, to my ears. Reissues seem much more prominent in the midrange and compressed and congested.

My thoughts about the mid scoop, clarity and congestion all apply even more so to the G12H 55Hz speakers than the G12M 75Hz speakers.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
It would appear that sanding the cone lightly duplicates the effect of softening up the skin of the paper in much the same manner as a lot of use and break-in time softens up the cone, as wel.

I think that I'd rather put the speaker through a break-in cycle at half rated power in an isolation booth for about a week playing a variety of music through it, if I had an isolation booth.

ns2a

Reaction score
I may have to try this with the Seventy/80 speaker in my DSL.

Latest Threads