Joey Kramer sues Aerosmith

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I truly believe the Stones would have quit without Charlie Watts.

Shows what that band is really about
If there's one band that really sucked live it's the Stones!
Too many of their "performances" weren't worthy of a cover band.
Oh, and apparently none of their guitarists could play in tune.
What they had is a great marketing machine that fooled most people
into believing they were "Rock'n Roll Greatest Band".

There, I said it.

:)

Zungle

Reaction score

There, I said it.

The truth shall set you free.........

Or some shit like that....??

Bluesky

Reaction score

There, I said it.

Hey .........if you dont like the stones just say so. Lol. No marketing.......The Stones ARE the greatest rock n roll band , and good marketing didnt keep them together.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score

There, I said it.

Lemmy said:
I did like the Stones, but they were never anywhere near the Beatles--not for humour, not for originality, not for songs, not for presentation. All they had was Mick Jagger dancing about. Fair enough, the Stones made great records, but they were always shit on stage, whereas the Beatles were the gear.

irocdave12

Reaction score
And in the latest running kick to Joey’s nards by the band is this little tid bit released by TMZ today of the feud. Lol brutal. Honestly I feel bad for the guy and have to admire his restraint and composure while taking such a slap in the face. Definitely professional security all the way or maybe just a couple of dudes Steven hired in the parking lot of the local 7-11. We’re totally F***ing you over.....Is that ok? says the pro security guy

Bluesky

Reaction score
And in the latest running kick to Joey’s nards by the band is this little tid bit released by TMZ today of the feud. Lol brutal. Honestly I feel bad for the guy and have to admire his restraint and composure while taking such a slap in the face. Definitely professional security all the way or maybe just a couple of dudes Steven hired in the parking lot of the local 7-11. We’re totally F***ing you over.....Is that ok? says the pro security guy
Lol. Maybe he brings it on himself. When he asked OK tell him no! If hes legally still a part of the band I'm pretty sure here in Florida no one could stop him. Good video for the law suit , but the band could just deny they told them to stop him.

Should have walked in and told them to call the police. Request it be documented if they show up.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
From what I read, the entire quintet known as Aerosmith had a conference call and voted on whether JK should be drumming at the Grammys.

Apparently, this kind of voting is something Aerosmith has done all along when it came to big decisions.

The vote was 4 - 1 against JK drumming.

When I read articles talking about this issue, I found that the other four members issued a statement, to wit:

"Joey Kramer is our brother; his well-being is of paramount importance to us. However he has not been emotionally and physically able to perform with the band, by his own admission, for the last 6 months. We have missed him and have encouraged him to rejoin us to play many times but apparently he has not felt ready to do so."

The statement went on to say:

"We would be doing a disservice to him, to ourselves and to our fans to have him play without adequate time to prepare and rehearse."

They also stated:

" We are bonded together by much more than our time on stage."

***************​

So I dunno: could be bullshit... but it really doesn't sound like they're dissing him or keeping him from playing just to be big meanies or something. My guess is that he simply is unable to perform as required, and that they just don't want him up there for that reason-- and that reason alone.

***************​

A source "close to the band" said:

" They had been inviting him to come back for the last six months since he's been away for whatever medical situation he's been dealing with," the source says. "He said, 'Yes, I'll come and rehearse' and kept not showing up. On the eve of the Grammys and MusiCares, he wanted to be back."

Dunno if that's true or not, but here's something I wonder:

What would be in it for the rest of the band to shut him out unnecessarily?

It sure doesn't sound like they're just down on him because he acts like an asshole or there's some political shit going on, or any of that. In reality, it would have been way cooler if Aerosmith could have shown up with the entire original lineup... and it even makes sense from the showbiz perspective that this would have been most preferable.

But no.

Sounds like he simply can't cut it on the drums right now-- and maybe won't be able to ever again.

And as for his lawsuit?

Looks like a judge shot down his attempt to force himself back into the group for the Grammys.

You can read about it here:

Judge Rules Against Joey Kramer in His Lawsuit

Now that the ruling has been made, the band issued a statement saying there would be no further comment, as they consider this issue to be "a family matter".

Honestly, I really feel bad for the guy-- but at the same time I figure he should just kick back and enjoy what's left of his life. Screw it: nobody stays on top of anything forever, and he's had one HELL of a run.

And I don't think the rest of the band is down on him as a person. I think that he simply can't cut it as their drummer any more, and they won't let it happen.

But for all that, they wanted him to appear with them at the Grammys anyway.

Trust me when I say, I'm cynical and have seen that rock stars aren't necessarily the nicest people one might run into out there. Lots of them appear to be preoccupied, egotistical, swinish louts.

But this time there appears to be a preponderance of evidence that Aerosmith isn't just being nasty for the hell of it.

I think that he simply isn't up to the performance level needed... and they want to save him-- and themselves and the fans-- the sadness and embarrassment of seeing him up there making a mess of things.

--R
As I recall, they all had some chemical issues in the past, and broke up for like 10yrs or something, didn't they? I imagine all bands fight. I bet even the guys in U2 have had the odd disagreement, here and there, even if that's hard to picture.

It's definitely a bummer for JK to miss a big show, this late in their career, but like you said, he's got nothing to prove, and a shit drummer ruins anything.

I suspect that statement had a publicist's touch. It's always funny when rock stars issue statements that sound like they were written by congressmen.

But "time to rehearse"??? :hmm:

They've been playing the same 30 songs for 40 years.
:laugh2:

If any of them still need to rehearse, they should be fired.

I suppose "recuperate" is a different thing.

I really like those guys, up to and including Pump, but once Tyler went all "skeedley doobah doobity doobity doo", I was out.

But their live stuff is usually amazing, and Joe Perry is a beast of a guitar player. The whole band is amazing, and Steven sounds incredible, considering he's like 95 million thousand years old and probably still doing back flips on stage.

fry

Reaction score
Joey should just do a Bun E Carlos and retire. When Cheap Trick gave him the heave ho, he pretty much said as long as the checks for his 25% share continued to come, he could live with it. Apparently, his checks stopped coming for a while, and he was forced to take a legal action to correct it. I wouldn’t have a clue what the arrangement is with Aerosmith. I know they were stuck in a bad deal for many, many years.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Joey should just do a Bun E Carlos and retire. When Cheap Trick gave him the heave ho, he pretty much said as long as the checks for his 25% share continued to come, he could live with it. Apparently, his checks stopped coming for a while, and he was forced to take a legal action to correct it. I wouldn’t have a clue what the arrangement is with Aerosmith. I know they were stuck in a bad deal for many, many years.
I'd have to think that Joey has enough money to live well the rest of his life.
If he really wants to live well, he won't trip about money.
Life is finite. This dude basically hit the lottery.
If he's not a millionaire many times over, I'd be surprised.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I haven't given a shit about Aerosmith since about 1998, and I was a huge fan back in the day. It's sad to see Kramer like that, I think perhaps he just doesn't have the chops anymore. He looked a bit frail in that TMZ video.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As I recall, they all had some chemical issues in the past, and broke up for like 10yrs or something, didn't they?
Beats me. :dunno:

I haven't actually listened to a full album of theirs since Rocks-- and never gave a crap what band was together or broke up (or whatever) at any point since the dissolution of The Beatles.

I just play the guitar. But I don't "follow" anybody-- don't actually care what group is active or inactive.

I suspect that statement had a publicist's touch. It's always funny when rock stars issue statements that sound like they were written by congressmen.
Maybe. But then I did hear an interview with Tyler one time, and he's actually a very intelligent guy-- he's definitely capable of writing that statement himself without assistance. It was pretty simple and straightforward.

Meanwhile, even if the statement was simply deflection or camouflage for some argument taking place among the band members, at least they weren't stupid enough to bitch about one another in public, like lowlife rappers with their feuds or GnR being mad at Bob Guccione and recording "Get in the Ring"... of some of those stupid songs Lennon and McCartney released to bitch about one another...

...or whatever.

Surprisingly, Aerosmith seems to have had too much class to act like that.

Frankly, I think that the bottom line is simply that Kramer can't cut it right now, and maybe never again.

My main reason for suspecting this is because I continue to believe that from the standpoint of business and sheer fan appeal, it would have been better for all 5 original members to perform together at such a high profile event.

I know that they can-- and will-- put asses in ticketed seats even as 4/5ths of the original band.

This is, after all, the era of free agents-- and it's not just in sports. Hell, right now there's a band out there gigging as Molly Hatchet, and even though they can bring it to the stage as good as the original band, there isn't a single member of the group who is an original member.

AND IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THOSE WHO ATTEND THEIR SHOWS... same as it doesn't matter who is on what football team any more. Those days are OVER.

So: these bands? Hey, whatever.

GnR boils down to what? Axl Rose and who?

Who Cares, that's who. The fans gotta have their show-- but let's face it, most of the rockers are geriatric types anyway.

If you were really big in the Seventies, then you're in your seventies now. :thumb:

But the fans don't care. They just GOTTA SEE THAT SHOW and they probably care more about the band name than who is actually in the band itself. Tyler and Perry-- but especially Tyler-- are Aerosmith... the other three guys, not so much.

And that's how it is in the real world-- as opposed to MLP, where people fixate on such details.

I've said a million times: for all the arguments on this site about this guitar or that amp or this or that player, in reality the average music fan doesn't know one guitar from the next, knows even less about amps... and when it comes to bands they only know who the front is, with maybe the lead guitar guy having a name.

But it's not like before with the guitar guys, even... because now they are interchangeable. People would see Buckethead or that other guy playing instead of Slash, so long as Axl Rose was up there...

So usually, all that matters these days is the front person... the singer. THAT is who the big star is... with everybody else simply being supporting musicians unless they can also sing.

But "time to rehearse"??? :hmm:

They've been playing the same 30 songs for 40 years.
:laugh2:

If any of them still need to rehearse, they should be fired.
I expected that to be deflection for sure. It was a nicer thing to say than, "Joey can't cut it any more, so we had to let him go."

I suppose "recuperate" is a different thing.
It's probably closest to the truth.

What *may* actually be even closer is this: he can't play any more and perhaps never will be good enough again.

But who wants to say that... especially if they're telling the truth as they say that they feel fraternal affection for him and don't want him hurt any more than he's already hurtin'.

I think that they did the best they could to let JK save face in light of the full circumstances...and that his reaction was to try and fight off the inevitable sacking.

The man is worth about 100 million dollars. But at this point, it ain't about money... it's all about some showman refusing to believe that he can't cut it any more.

It's emotional. And so are the reactions of so many others on this site.

But for Tyler and the other three guys still in Aerosmith, it's business.

I do think they did their best to pad things for him. I think he simply refused to accept the gesture.

And though the thought of it makes me sad... I understand why he'd act like that.

You take away a man's identity and he's left adrift... money might not even matter, especially if he's been rich for decades.

It's the end of an era for him... and some guys don't age gracefully or willingly.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

--R

My Les Paul Classifieds