Joe Bonamassa - Talks Sense...

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tambien, life is good, saw the general hubbub over the recent GP article on Facebook and figured I'd drop by to see how it was going for Joe here on MLP...hope all y'all are doing well and living right. :)

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Tambien, life is good, saw the general hubbub over the recent GP article on Facebook and figured I'd drop by to see how it was going for Joe here on MLP...hope all y'all are doing well and living right. :)
I lack sufficient privilege here and there, but otherwise, I’m just chillin’ out, waiting for Tuesday.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I've had better and worse months, but the ole ticker's still ticking and the boots are still walking. We gotta yap soon.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Joe probably just got rid of the Boss MT-2 that was on his board. MT-2 through a Fender Tweed cranked = tonal nirvana.

Drhall20

Reaction score
I️ find Joe’s POV disappointing. I’m from central NY and have been a fan of Joe’s since before Bloodline. I’ve owned most of his signature guitars and all his many signature pedals. I’m a shit player but these things make me happy and make me want to play. Maybe he wants to buy back my 7 or so different Bonamassa pedals I’ve bought

pac655

Reaction score
“I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fu**in’ shoes? C’mon man…

I know I’ll get shit for saying this, but it’s fu**ing lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It’s bullshit. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar… try that!”
I agree with everything you said, but there is another side to the story. I usually try to keep it simple with my rig set up, however, I have the Roland GR55 Synth with the GK-3 pickup because, I play some fusion music, and sometimes I'm looking for a different sound. There are times I not only want, but need to sound like a clarinet or piano. Otherwise, I use a tube screamer, wha wha, delay, chorus and compressor. Any distortion I use comes from one of my amps. Pedals are just extra tools that can be used, and I've been playing over 50 years. By the way, I also play acoustic guitar.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
I️ find Joe’s POV disappointing. I’m from central NY and have been a fan of Joe’s since before Bloodline. I’ve owned most of his signature guitars and all his many signature pedals. I’m a shit player but these things make me happy and make me want to play. Maybe he wants to buy back my 7 or so different Bonamassa pedals I’ve bought

I think you're totally over-reacting.

I could be wrong, but I suspect he's talking about the fringe element who build their sound around pedals that significantly influence their sound and diminish the actual impact of the guitar.

I'm not going to name guitarists or shit on tastes, but there are some guitar players who use their guitar as more of a trigger for effects than the material source and the spirit of the sound.

I suspect he's not talking about those guys out there throwing on some overdrive or some funky boutique pedals.

I guess a good test might be - is the guitar track recognizable without effects? If not, maybe your music is the type he's talking about.

Again, all speculation on my part.

judson

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I suspect he's talking about the fringe element who build their sound around pedals that significantly influence their sound and diminish the actual impact of the guitar.

I'm not going to name guitarists or shit on tastes, but there are some guitar players who use their guitar as more of a trigger for effects than the material source and the spirit of the sound.

agree 100%

totally blown out of context

but some days there is no such thing as bad publicity unless ur Spacey or Winestein :laugh2:

Lampens

Reaction score
You know, I'm the other way around. I'm usually to lazy to even turn on the fucking amp, let alone mess with pedals. I really hate tweaking knobs and shit. I mostly just fuck around unplugged. I want to, I love rig rundowns and look at al that crap and watch pedal reviews and think to myself; " Man that sounds good. I wanna be in on that." But when push comes to shove it's just a pain in the ass hooking up and unhooking pedals, match levels when I switch to another guitar. It's too much like work.

DLRG

Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing against Joe. He can play a decent tune unplugged or otherwise and is, of course, entitled to his opinion. Equally, I have nothing against the use of pedals. Perhaps that old adage 'Moderation is true temperance' is the key here.

Z2112

Reaction score
15 pages............What the hell happened to America? Outrage is the new normal ?
I would have figured with all the prescription pills and legal pot people are doing they would be more mellow.
I'm outraged by all the outrage !
We need a new drug....Chill Pill

Joe B, If you are out there........Keep on flying that freak flag brother !

orionz06

Reaction score
I think you're totally over-reacting.

I suspect he's not talking about those guys out there throwing on some overdrive or some funky boutique pedals.

I guess a good test might be - is the guitar track recognizable without effects? If not, maybe your music is the type he's talking about.

Again, all speculation on my part.
That was my takeaway, you know, from reading more than the headline. Some people just wanna be upset and miserable and will do what they can to stay that way.

skier1

Reaction score
“I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fu**in’ shoes? C’mon man…

I know I’ll get shit for saying this, but it’s fu**ing lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It’s bullshit. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar… try that!”
If you have the talent that Joe obviously has, along with the money to buy buy a sixty year old guitar I'm sure he doesn't need pedals however, us mere mortals would struggle with a guitar and an amp alone, and we dream of sounding like our 'hero's' so o believe we need them, at least until we get very good. No hate to Joe from me though.