Joe Bonamassa - Talks Sense...

Thermionik

Reaction score
“I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fu**in’ shoes? C’mon man…

I know I’ll get shit for saying this, but it’s fu**ing lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It’s bullshit. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar… try that!”

Attachments

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow - just wow!

That great, Joe. But, then again... you are a one-trick pony. All your songs sound exactly the same. The same boring chord progressions with the same boring pentatonic/blues riffs - hell, you almost never even change the fucking key!!!

So, I can see where your form of mundane drivel might not require any pedals, but there are plenty of people using effects to make music that is actually interesting and not repetitive.

No - you are right on one count... pedals are not a substitution for actual talent, creativity and expression. However, they are an augment to those things. To dismiss their use out of hand is a bit arrogant.

That was a holier-than-thou statement, brother - to which I'll reply: Add a pedal, or two to your rig; add a few more interesting chords (in some key other than A or E) to one your songs; think differently about expression and open your world to new sounds.

Oh and folks, don't start with your Joe-loving. We all get it... he's a god.

Meatwad

Reaction score
Sometimes I plug straight in. Sometimes with reverb.....sometimes not.
Sometimes I use a couple pedals.....sometimes a few more.
Sometimes I even play an acoustic.

It's almost like it depends on the song and what kind of sound I want.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Friday thread?
I like everything about Joe except his music.
I got two of his records and I yawned my way through them.
Maybe when other players can crank a super lead or tweed twin with a 59 LP, they’ll use less pedals too.
Retarded statement, even before all the Hendrix and Page comments start rolling in.

Benjammin

Reaction score
Friday thread?
I like everything about Joe except his music.
I got two of his records and I yawned my way through them.
Maybe when other players can crank a super lead or tweed twin with a 59 LP, they’ll use less pedals too.
Retarded statement, even before all the Hendrix and Page comments start rolling in.
pfff, Hendrix, he doesn't even wear sunglasses :dunno:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
To be open-minded about his statement, he might be talking about the heavily-effected sounds like Radiohead (who I used to love but haven’t heard in a while) or typical P&W type stuff. The stuff that uses more computer processing power than my iPhone.
I don’t think he’s talking about the basic, classic effects like wah, fuzz, vibe, delay and stuff like that.
He better not be; he uses them.
Maybe not lately, but if he just swore off all pedals for the rest of time, his boring playing is gonna get even more boring.
He’s got chops, he’s got tons, but he’s got no feeling.
Just my 0.02.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And to Joe's point - what he does is a specific thing, he doesn't need effects and the greats that came before him didn't either!
Listen to much music from the past?