Joe Bonamassa lesson - Electric blues licks 2014

db3266

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
at 6.27 he says the 5 of G is C?
Do I miss understand him? I dig the chords he is demonstrating, but not quite usre if i have grasped what he is saying?

hayden

Reaction score
Really huge fan of Joe's, really loved this vid, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Hayden

planks

Reaction score
Edited out. Thinking again, post was kind of nonsense.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[edit - I posted this after one quick listen to the video, and I get it wrong. I'll leave it here, anyway, but the post after this one is the right one, after a better listen to what he says... :laugh2:]

Well, at first I skipped to the part you're asking about and I thought that he simply mis-spoke, and meant 'IV' rather than 'V', as he was talking about moving from G to C (I to IV)...

...however I then wound it back a bit further and watched from 5:15 where he begins "Trick number three..." and then begins to describe what he calls "low five inversions"...

What he's doing there (at least through my crappy laptop speakers) seems to be playing this kind of thing:

e x
B x
G 4 - 3
D 3 - 2
A x
E x

to indicate a G7 > C7 move. F & B down to E & Bb = b7 & 3 of the G7 chord into 3 & b7 of the C7 chord.

(Personally I'd call the interval that he's sliding around an augmented 4th, rather than a diminished 5th, and just calling it a '5' seems very vague indeed, but without the magazine tab, we can't be completely sure what Joe intended there).

As to the Ab he mentions, well my eyesight isn't up to picking up exactly where his fingers are, but he could be playing Ab to G on the low E string as well?

Seeing as that clip is obviously from Guitarist magazine, perhaps someone has that copy and can provide the tab?

Better yet, Joe B is a member here - why not ask him direct?

:)

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn it - I'm wrong : it's this...

e x
B x
G x
D 3 - 2
A x
E 4 - 3

which is a fragment of this...

e 4 - 3
B 4 - 3
G 4 - 3
D 3 - 2
A 4 - 3
E 4 - 3

A Db7 > C7 move - approaching the IV from one fret above. Ab & F (like he said - no mis-speaking) down to G & E = 5 & 3 of the Db7 down to 5 & 3 of the C7.

Still can't figure out why he calls it "5s" though... ;)

planks

Reaction score
..Still can't figure out why he calls it "5s" though... ;)

Neither can I, who knows..

Anyway, I get what he wants to show (and shows),
that's some really good stuff there.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ha - I cracked the code (well, it came to me in my sleep last night).

When Joe says 'low five inversion' he means a chord inversion where the lowest note is the 5th of the chord. So he's not referring to the type of chord, or to the interval he's playing (which is a major 6th).

:)

Simple really, but a non-standard name nonetheless (or at least not one I've ever come across before). I'll file that away in case I hear it again anywhere. :)

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
I really like Joe, seems like a very cool person. I also like his playing much more without the E.J. thing. I wish he would ditch it, getting a bit old.

Big John

pant flapping without the smell
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Playing the 5 below the root with the major 3rd is a nice little standard inversion voicing, but most of the time I like to add the root one octave up so that the 3rd is better supported when the amp is distorting. Also sounds great when you tap the octave harmonics with the same chord structure and vibrato the strings after the taps.

Latest Threads