Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul Custom is coming

horax

Reaction score
Yes I know it can be fixed but I bet most of them won't have this big of a problem and these are still available if I want another. Pretty common Epiphone inconsistency.
gotcha

wjlim22

Reaction score
I am very likely going to try to get another one of these if they are still available when I return mine. It's just too good of a value to pass up but I'm realistic about it. Can't expect Gibson quality for Epiphone prices.

questionman

Reaction score
Ordered one from my guy at Sweetwater...its a preorder so I dont expect to get it any time soon, which I am fine with. Been on a hunt for a good 3 pickup Custom for a few years now, Gibson is just a tad too expensive for a guitar I wouldnt play all that much, and most MIJ I find arent quite what I am looking for. This should scratch the itch. If I like it, a bigsby will be going on with a 6 way toggle and some grovers ala Page

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
a setup would fix that. a good setup will fret level and sand/polish them to be equal. Could also be a low cut nut.
I'm not sure if it's the nut or inconsistent cut on the neck, or fretboard thickness.
My 2014 Epi SG is my "problem child". An off-the-shelf Graphtech nut sits too low and buzzes, the factory plastic nut was fine.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
@ CB91710 Thanks for the explanation on the switch that makes sense now.

That's to bad wjlim22 that yours is not jiving for you, tbh if mine has anything more than a basic setup issue it's going back. I have a tremendous luthier but I'm not getting into fret levels on a new instrument no matter how cool it looks. But I'm hoping they are more consistently better than bad.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Has anyone received one yet that has more fingerprints and dna on it than a crime scene? Just got mine and I swear its GC and no pride, I ordered it Saturday night so how could I have gotten it so fast? I researched the shipping and it came from a local store, Sorry not having that I'm disgusted with how gross it is. Nasty dirty and pickup covers are just covered in prints and oil too. WTF GC,

I plugged it in and the only pickup that sounds good is the neck, could be just setup issues but it's quacking like a Strat and hardly any output. The setup playing wise is low as my other Epiphone. It's as fast playing as you'll get before buzzing, pretty good there.

I'm going to sit for a minute and think about, I'm not thrilled on the presentation. F'ing gross and I don't want to clean it so they can see how nasty it is. My son has hands that sweat I get it but clean the guitar up before shipping it. I spend to much for this shit, not on this guitar but on other gear there before covid. I know I sound like a bitch but you'd laugh if you seen how dirty it is, I mean I know it was the store model because every inch has been touched. If it was just shipping guy would be a couple, this thing looks like dirty mike and the boys had there way with it in the back of Will Ferrells car.

Last edited:

wjlim22

Reaction score
Has anyone received one yet that has more fingerprints and dna on it than a crime scene? Just got mine and I swear its GC and no pride, I ordered it Saturday night so how could I have gotten it so fast? I researched the shipping and it came from a local store, Sorry not having that I'm disgusted with how gross it is. Nasty dirty and pickup covers are just covered in prints and oil too. WTF GC,

I plugged it in and the only pickup that sounds good is the neck, could be just setup issues but it's quacking like a Strat and hardly any output. The setup playing wise is low as my other Epiphone. It's as fast playing as you'll get before buzzing, pretty good there.

I'm going to sit for a minute and think about, I'm not thrilled on the presentation. F'ing gross and I don't want to clean it so they can see how nasty it is. My son has hands that sweat I get it but clean the guitar up before shipping it. I spend to much for this shit, not on this guitar but on other gear there before covid. I know I sound like a bitch but you'd laugh if you seen how dirty it is, I mean I know it was the store model because every inch has been touched. If it was just shipping guy would be a couple, this thing looks like dirty mike and the boys had there way with it in the back of Will Ferrells car.
That sucks. When I got mine from GC, the pickups had plastic covers on them. It came in the Epiphone box from a local store.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Where are these made?
China

I'll say this mine plays better than my Gibby les Paul standard, so does my 90 Epiphone. I don't know if it's the neck I like better but on my Gibson my luthier has it as best as can be and barre chords get tiresome, I could play rhythm on this all night it's so easy to play.

The pickups I'm not sure on, could be just height but the bridge is already way higher and has way less output than the neck, can't see that being a design. Not much difference when middle is engaged, but the worst thing and most surprised about is the pots have hardly any range to them. Brain fart on the word I'm looking for but from 10 to 7 is loud and then it's very quiet, Sweep that's it, no sweep on these pots. She does look nice AF aside from what I previously said, but love the neck and the action is incredible..

So I've played enough guitars to know immediately for me, it's cool for what it is but I couldn't see keeping those pickups as is, I'm playing through a Victoria 20112, Marshall SV20 and Goodsell super17mk4. If I can't get it to sound the part out of those then somethings wrong. Again I'm hoping it's just pickup adjustment but that bridge is already almost hitting the strings, idk

Mine too came in an Epiphone box with those balloon bag things for protection. I literally met the UPS guy at my house from work and was so pumped and then seen that dirty little beast inside the case. Smells new af too, maybe the Chinese workers liked this one and played it, sure plays nice. Or maybe they just didn't wipe it down, lol.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
wjlim22 is your output jack tough to get the cord into? Yeah something gotta be wrong with the pickups, I just plugged in my gibson with burst buckers and I thought these pro=buckers have similar output, it's like I have no output except on neck pickup and even that is way lower than other neck pickup on gibson. I also have a vintage Greco with original Maxon pickups which are low output and even they sound fuller and louder, could maybe just be crappy wiring.

Not sure on yours but I looked closely at fret edges and have a ton of tooling marks, even my 16 standard did so what does that say about gibson they charged 3 times the amount but also where the binding meets the body is sloppy on one side, of course the one you see while playing

wjlim22

Reaction score
wjlim22 is your output jack tough to get the cord into? Yeah something gotta be wrong with the pickups, I just plugged in my gibson with burst buckers and I thought these pro=buckers have similar output, it's like I have no output except on neck pickup and even that is way lower than other neck pickup on gibson. I also have a vintage Greco with original Maxon pickups which are low output and even they sound fuller and louder, could maybe just be crappy wiring.

Not sure on yours but I looked closely at fret edges and have a ton of tooling marks, even my 16 standard did so what does that say about gibson they charged 3 times the amount but also where the binding meets the body is sloppy on one side, of course the one you see while playing
I didn't think I had anything wrong with the pickups. My chord jack worked well. All 3 positions should sound similar to other LPs: treble, mid range, and then more bass. The additional pickup should not be stealing any output from anything. If at all, the middle pickup adds some clarity with 2 probuckers working together. After I played more, I actually really liked the middle position.

Frets are still a common problem on Epiphones even though they improved a lot. That's why I wasn't so surprised that I had an issue. You should try a different one while they are still available. GC return policy is the best thing about them. I returned mine already. Not sure if I'm getting another one. Keep changing my mind.

Last edited:

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Yes I agree on the return policy it's a win for sure . The frets seem fine I should of said the fretboard has tooling marks in between frets. To be honest the tooling marks on my gibson are worse but I was blind to them then, now it's all I see when I change strings. I guess I was just expecting this shiny new axe too sound badasss outta the box, no worries as you said return policy is great.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Welp, two of us in this thread have already seen some problems with this release. Hope the majority of them won't have problems, but this is not a good sign so far.

Yes I agree on the return policy it's a win for sure . The frets seem fine I should of said the fretboard has tooling marks in between frets. To be honest the tooling marks on my gibson are worse but I was blind to them then, now it's all I see when I change strings. I guess I was just expecting this shiny new axe too sound badasss outta the box, no worries as you said return policy is great.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
It's a shame because I think my problems are small ones. I just don't see how to get the bridge pup louder it's already raised to high. It's also like you said there is plastic over the pickups so at least all that snot and dna could be pulled off. I know black leaves fingerprints it's just the fact a local store mailed it after molesting it and not cleaning it and not a main distribution warehouse.

Could of been a homerun too because I just ordered it Saturday, that's fast shipping. I'm sure they'll blame covid for it somehow.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a shame because I think my problems are small ones. I just don't see how to get the bridge pup louder it's already raised to high. It's also like you said there is plastic over the pickups so at least all that snot and dna could be pulled off. I know black leaves fingerprints it's just the fact a local store mailed it after molesting it and not cleaning it and not a main distribution warehouse.

Could of been a homerun too because I just ordered it Saturday, that's fast shipping. I'm sure they'll blame covid for it somehow.
Have you checked the DCR of the pickups? Maybe there's a wiring issue.

wjlim22

Reaction score

Do you think the plastic on the pickups could be interfering? I took the plastic off of mine.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
@CB91710 Hi no I didn't check anything like that, I played it for 5 minutes was discouraged and back in the case it went. I'll look and listen again tomorrow but I have a hard time understanding how these are CTS pots and the sweep is literally 7-10 then it's real quiet.

The neck pickup if that's how probuckers sound is full when turned up, in the middle its low and bridge is low, not silent but like if volume was on 5/6. I just don't know if I want to even mess with anything on it. Gonna sleep on it, the presentation really just put me off.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Do you think the plastic on the pickups could be interfering? I took the plastic off of mine.
That's a good question I thought of once I noticed them, but the neck pickup is fine. If you seen how nasty that plastic is you wouldn't want to remove it and then have to put it back on. Looks like somebody Huck-choo sneezed on it, it's filfthy.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Well I don't feel that bad anymore this guy said all the same things Wjlim22 and I have said thus far about the guitar.

This is what to probably expect not the ones you seen being played on Guitar channels. I sure feel better about the pickups, I'm not the only one. I do wonder if the ones from Sweetwater will ship mint and setup?

wjlim22

Reaction score
Well I don't feel that bad anymore this guy said all the same things Wjlim22 and I have said thus far about the guitar.

This is what to probably expect not the ones you seen being played on Guitar channels. I sure feel better about the pickups, I'm not the only one. I do wonder if the ones from Sweetwater will ship mint and setup?

This is probably the reason why Sweetwater has them on preorder status. They are all very poorly set up. It might be a good idea to buy these from Sweetwater if you don't want to spend the extra effort with all the set up work.

Latest Threads