Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul Custom is coming

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Hey thanks for updates, pics look great. I'm stoked to get it, I have a bunch of high end gear but the way that Epiphone looks just gets me and to hear it sounds and plays well is great.

I am also curious about what switch position does what? Why. would they pair the n/m together, if anything the B/M would be more useable. But I always thought 3 pups you use the 3 positions but I've never played a custom obviously saying shit like I am.

Have you opened the back cover to inspect pots, wiring etc..? I read cts pots, Switchcraft output but nothing about the switch itself, or wiring. I am just curious, I'm not ripping anything apart unless I just fell in love with this guitar and knew I'd never return it within allotted time. But I do have an Epiphone plus top from 1990 that I put all new wiring and 57 classics and Switchcraft switch and jack, it sounds and plays better than my 2016 Gibson Standard, really does. The fit and finish on Gibson is leagues above but no other guitar I own the strings are so close to the fretboard and no buzz, it's a beast for sure.

I am getting stoked to get this guitar now, again it was just ignorance on my part thinking it was limited and the video put me over the top. Let us know about wiring and caps, pots if you don't mind taking a screwdriver to it. Enjoy

wjlim22

Reaction score
How are the pickups wired i.e. what is active in what position? Is it bridge, bridge/middle, and neck?
Yes, that appears to be what it is. Is that how most 3 pickup LPs work? I've never had a 3 pick up LP.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Hey thanks for updates, pics look great. I'm stoked to get it, I have a bunch of high end gear but the way that Epiphone looks just gets me and to hear it sounds and plays well is great.

I am also curious about what switch position does what? Why. would they pair the n/m together, if anything the B/M would be more useable. But I always thought 3 pups you use the 3 positions but I've never played a custom obviously saying shit like I am.

Have you opened the back cover to inspect pots, wiring etc..? I read cts pots, Switchcraft output but nothing about the switch itself, or wiring. I am just curious, I'm not ripping anything apart unless I just fell in love with this guitar and knew I'd never return it within allotted time. But I do have an Epiphone plus top from 1990 that I put all new wiring and 57 classics and Switchcraft switch and jack, it sounds and plays better than my 2016 Gibson Standard, really does. The fit and finish on Gibson is leagues above but no other guitar I own the strings are so close to the fretboard and no buzz, it's a beast for sure.

I am getting stoked to get this guitar now, again it was just ignorance on my part thinking it was limited and the video put me over the top. Let us know about wiring and caps, pots if you don't mind taking a screwdriver to it. Enjoy
Middle position is bridge and middle pickups.

I won't be opening it up anytime soon, but the switchcraft toggle is definitely nicer than normal Epis. It feels way more sturdy with less play.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that appears to be what it is. Is that how most 3 pickup LPs work? I've never had a 3 pick up LP.
I think so.
I have heard that the Epi 3-pickup SG/LP (as well as the doublenecks) were wired differently from the Gibsons, supposedly with 3-volume and 1-tone, with the middle pickup "active" at all times, 3rd volume being a blender.
But I've not seen anything confirming that, and a Google search just provides a brazillian links to Duncan diagrams, as well as "How I wired mine" drawings.
Gibson is worse than Fender about putting up service/wiring drawings, unless I'm not looking in the right place.
Fender is irritating, but you can usually find what you need... The site that is easy to access from the Support link is badly out of date, yet if you google the model you're looking for, you'll often find a PDF under "fmicassets.com" that is more current.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I may have gotten lucky with one day shipping. It's supposed to arrive today but I will believe it when I see it! I probably won't get to play much until my kids go to bed though.

View attachment 493410
I think so.
I have heard that the Epi 3-pickup SG/LP (as well as the doublenecks) were wired differently from the Gibsons, supposedly with 3-volume and 1-tone, with the middle pickup "active" at all times, 3rd volume being a blender.
But I've not seen anything confirming that, and a Google search just provides a brazillian links to Duncan diagrams, as well as "How I wired mine" drawings.
Gibson is worse than Fender about putting up service/wiring drawings, unless I'm not looking in the right place.
Fender is irritating, but you can usually find what you need... The site that is easy to access from the Support link is badly out of date, yet if you google the model you're looking for, you'll often find a PDF under "fmicassets.com" that is more current.
Wow the Gibson configuration sounds better. This wiring makes the middle just a supplement to the bridge pickup in the middle toggle position but it sounds muted. I’m not sure if I Iike it. Haven’t messed with it much yet.

cerasgrgag

Reaction score
Anyone lucky enough to have one care to share some demos of the middle pick up position?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow the Gibson configuration sounds better. This wiring makes the middle just a supplement to the bridge pickup in the middle toggle position but it sounds muted. I’m not sure if I Iike it. Haven’t messed with it much yet.
Oh no... the way this one is wired is the way Gibson wired them.
It requires a special toggle switch. The alternatives that use the 3rd volume pot allow for the use of the standard Switchcraft (or Asian "box") switch. I'm glad to see that this one is wired true to the original Gibson.
Anyone lucky enough to have one care to share some demos of the middle pick up position?
There is no "middle pickup" position as far as being like a Strat that has a 5-way switch B - B/M - M - M/N - N
This one does not allow for the middle alone, nor does it allow for the standard Bridge/Neck position.
This one is Bridge - Bridge/Middle - Neck

Reaction score
Pick this JB black beauty yesterday at GC. I wasn’t even planning on buying until I played it. The quality is surprisingly good. The only upgrade I’m probably going to do is replace the bridge and neck pickups with Seymours. Not sure which ones yet. These well sell out fast! It’s that good. I think I got lucky with this one. The action is nice and low with no fret buzz. This is the only way I can afford a true close to specs black beauty.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick this JB black beauty yesterday at GC. I wasn’t even planning on buying until I played it. The quality is surprisingly good. The only upgrade I’m probably going to do is replace the bridge and neck pickups with Seymours. Not sure which ones yet. These well sell out fast! It’s that good.
Did you change out the black bell knobs for the gold speed knobs?

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Lookin good with them knobs. I understand the end result of pup config, but I'd be a liar to say that ya'll just confused the shit outta me on how it's wired,lol. So do they have to cancel a coil in each B/M position to blend it? Maybe I'll revisit this tomorrow I'm a little stoned right now. HNGD Johnny you have me pumped up even more, because I didn't plan on buying this either. Hell I didn't know about it until yesterday. Enjoy

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookin good with them knobs. I understand the end result of pup config, but I'd be a liar to say that ya'll just confused the shit outta me on how it's wired,lol. So do they have to cancel a coil in each B/M position to blend it? Maybe I'll revisit this tomorrow I'm a little stoned right now. HNGD Johnny you have me pumped up even more, because I didn't plan on buying this either. Hell I didn't know about it until yesterday. Enjoy
Since the middle pickup is never used alone, it does not need its own volume or tone control... it piggybacks onto the bridge controls.

So position #1 (Neck), the bridge and middle are connected to each other, but the bridge contact is lifted, output jack contact is connected to the middle pickup.
In the middle position, the neck contact is lifted and the switch moves to the bridge. The extra contact set still has the middle connected to the bridge.
In the bridge position, the connection to the middle is lifted and you have only the bridge pickup connected.

LPC.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the switch has one extra leaf on the outside, and the output jack is connected to only one leaf, rather than both of the middle leaves.

Here's a conventional 2-way.

2-way.jpg

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Damn, I might have to grab one of these! I can’t really see a Gibson being nearly 10 times better although they cost about that much? I might be afraid to take it out of its case... lol

Same tuners as the Crestwood from that era I think? Used by Gibson when they ran out of stock according to Joey B. (What a guy huh? I thought I’d conquered my GAS and then he goes and does this. Really should thank him actually looks like a great guitar!)

I kind of prefer butter beans and old fashioned tuners, but I don’t really care too much either way.

I played a friends 90s Epi LP Custom way back and nothing has sounded or played quite the same. The out of phase middle position is really nice from what I recall.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, I might have to grab one of these! I can’t really see a Gibson being nearly 10 times better although they cost about that much? I might be afraid to take it out of its case... lol

Same tuners as the Crestwood from that era I think? Used by Gibson when they ran out of stock according to Joey B. (What a guy huh? I thought I’d conquered my GAS and then he goes and does this. Really should thank him actually looks like a great guitar!)

I kind of prefer butter beans and old fashioned tuners, but I don’t really care too much either way.

I played a friends 90s Epi LP Custom way back and nothing has sounded or played quite the same. The out of phase middle position is really nice from what I recall.
I'm not a fan of the keystone chrome Grovers on Standards, and I put a set on my SG and didn't care for them, however, I did use them on my Flying-V when I upgraded the hardware to gold and went with locking tuners, and will be using them when I have Dave build me a matching Explorer.
I don't think they look out of place on a black/gold Custom, but I do like the look of these... more of a "lily" rather than a "tulip"/keystone.

I go back and forth on the kidney bean. I used to not like them, preferring the plastic Kluson keystones, but I've grown to like them on Standards.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the keystone chrome Grovers on Standards, and I put a set on my SG and didn't care for them, however, I did use them on my Flying-V when I upgraded the hardware to gold and went with locking tuners, and will be using them when I have Dave build me a matching Explorer.
I don't think they look out of place on a black/gold Custom, but I do like the look of these... more of a "lily" rather than a "tulip"/keystone.

I go back and forth on the kidney bean. I used to not like them, preferring the plastic Kluson keystones, but I've grown to like them on Standards.
I like the green ones. And not a huge fan of the Standard ones, but they all work. Keystones and beans are more enjoyable to turn in my opinion.

I think it goes back to playing acoustic and nylon strings before electric (and there was always a tenor banjo around) which made me more comfortable with a tuner that isn’t made of metal.

Also snot green! Come on man- can be both obnoxious and classy! Haha...

wjlim22

Reaction score
This is a nice guitar but I'm going to return mine. I've done all I can to try to get rid of fret buzz on the low strings but the frets are way too high on one part of the fretboard. Returning mine. Not sure if I'm going to try another one.

horax

Reaction score
This is a nice guitar but I'm going to return mine. I've done all I can to try to get rid of fret buzz on the low strings but the frets are way too high on one part of the fretboard. Returning mine. Not sure if I'm going to try another one.
a setup would fix that. a good setup will fret level and sand/polish them to be equal. Could also be a low cut nut.

wjlim22

Reaction score
a setup would fix that. a good setup will fret level and sand/polish them to be equal. Could also be a low cut nut.
Yes I know it can be fixed but I bet most of them won't have this big of a problem and these are still available if I want another. Pretty common Epiphone inconsistency.

Latest Threads