1st Fret = 0.922
12th Fret = 1.014

Nut Width = 1.69

Actual weight on an accurate scale = 9lbs 5ozs

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
quick question does your guitar appear to be smaller because of it being black or is it the 3 pickups? Even my wife said it looked smaller, Are we trippin hear?
It's gotta' be an optical illusion.
My thickness is a touch less at 1.9215 for the Epi compared to 2.0145 for my '19 Gibson STD.
However, the body is also a touch wider, 7.341 at the waist compared to the Gibby at 7.280, and 9.3965 at the upper bout compared to the Gibby at 9.2905

So we're talking literally only the difference of .09 on thickness.

Pickups are different, but that's Probuckers compared to Burstbuckers:
Standard: B = 7.87k, N = 7.85k, Both = 3.93k
Epiphone: B = 8.55k, N = 7.81k, B/M = 4.13k

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
I appreciate that information CB91710 Thanks.

Maybe it is an illusion but my 1st thought when my wife said it looks smaller was damn I thought that myself.

I guess I just opened myself up to be riddled with that statement above

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe it is an illusion but my 1st thought when my wife said it looks smaller was damn I thought that myself.

The binding channel is cut a bit deeper to allow for the 7-layer binding on the Custom, so that does reduce the area of the black.
Adding the 3rd pickup... I can see how it might look a little smaller.
I've always thought that Epiphone models looked a little smaller, I was told in the 90s that their Flying-V and Explorer models were slightly undersized (never tried to confirm it, but I've heard that the Epiphone cases won't accept a Gibson, so maybe they are?)
I was honestly surprised that the JB is a little larger across.

Binding.jpg

Last edited:

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Ha I'm just seeing what you are showing in the pic, I'm looking at the pics saying his meter screen is cutoff. I thought you were trying to show something on the fluke. I finally seen the binding, man I got to get my eyes checked. One of those pics where the fluke in forefront took my attention away from what's really going on. I see what your saying on binding, that could be something to do with it.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha I'm just seeing what you are showing in the pic, I'm looking at the pics saying his meter screen is cutoff. I thought you were trying to show something on the fluke. I finally seen the binding, man I got to get my eyes checked. One of those pics where the fluke in forefront took my attention away from what's really going on. I see what your saying on binding, that could be something to do with it.
HAHA!
I take pictures of the calipers and meter so I don't have to write them down... and my phone automatically backs up to my personal cloud drive, so it's easy to clip out of those images.
I tried to size the Standard and Custom to about the same, using the Fluke logo as a size reference... got pretty close, but the Custom side is still just a touch smaller, which means that the binding is even wider than that compared to the Standard.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Woah Sweetwater no longer carrying this guitar, what’s up with that? But GC/MF has em in stock? I bet there returns, but idk it’s strange every other store is pre-order. Maybe they are limited that would really sway my decision to keep.

cerasgrgag

Reaction score
These are sold out in Andertons UK and GAK are probably going to be the same.
Next batch is Due January 2021.

Is this a new run or just a new boat delivery? I wonder if they change any construction methods or improvements (or worse choices) if this is the case, because it looks like I won't be getting one next month, the pre-orders may have snapped them all up.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I decided not to get another one of these after I returned mine. It did sound very good when I played it, but I learned that the middle pickup wasn't a big selling point for me. I felt like I wouldn't use it much. I guess I'm not a 3 pickup type of guy. I ordered an Epiphone 59 instead. The 59 has Gibson burstbuckers which I really like.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Don't get too caught up on all this "limited" stuff man. Anything limited is just a marketing gimmick. There will be plenty of other "limited" releases in the future with better products. Buy and keep guitars that you like, not because they are limited. If you are even questioning whether you should keep this JB BB, then you probably don't really want it. Don't keep it just because it's selling out. These companies are brainwashing people into thinking you can't live without it if it sells out.

djw171

Reaction score

We still talking about the guitar?? :rofl:

cerasgrgag

Reaction score
Don't get too caught up on all this "limited" stuff man. Anything limited is just a marketing gimmick. There will be plenty of other "limited" releases in the future with better products. Buy and keep guitars that you like, not because they are limited. If you are even questioning whether you should keep this JB BB, then you probably don't really want it. Don't keep it just because it's selling out. These companies are brainwashing people into thinking you can't live without it if it sells out.
I want one because I love the look of Black Beauties and this is special, Epiphone have done these before, but not with the ebony fretboard, the aged binding and other things which will help it hold its value if not increase it. Long neck tenon could also be desirable, but then again Epiphone seem to have a lot of desirable guitars these days.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
@ wjlim22 Your correct when it comes to me, I've said from the beginning I got taken in by the JB video and just bought it without any thoughts. I already have 5 electrics, 2 which are really the only ones I play 16 gibson standard and 77 Greco Sa-900.

I have been saying I need to sell gear because it causes anxiety not using them. But I must say that 59 Epiphone Dark burst looks Sick!!!

I'm not usually a guy that buys collector or limited gear, I'd rather have 1 or 2 guitars and have a bunch of amps which I do, love amps. But to be fair this Joe B Black Beauty is a lot of guitar for the money and I'd be a liar every time I go to return it I procrastinate. Crazy thing is I'm not even playing it, played it once. But I agree if I bought everything that looked cool and somebody made sound amazing in a video I'd be poor and divorced.

Most of the week I play my 16 Hd28, just because it's so fun and weeks are busy, but when my wife still at work I can't resist cranking em up. What color did you order?

wjlim22

Reaction score
@ wjlim22 Your correct when it comes to me, I've said from the beginning I got taken in by the JB video and just bought it without any thoughts. I already have 5 electrics, 2 which are really the only ones I play 16 gibson standard and 77 Greco Sa-900.

I have been saying I need to sell gear because it causes anxiety not using them. But I must say that 59 Epiphone Dark burst looks Sick!!!

I'm not usually a guy that buys collector or limited gear, I'd rather have 1 or 2 guitars and have a bunch of amps which I do, love amps. But to be fair this Joe B Black Beauty is a lot of guitar for the money and I'd be a liar every time I go to return it I procrastinate. Crazy thing is I'm not even playing it, played it once. But I agree if I bought everything that looked cool and somebody made sound amazing in a video I'd be poor and divorced.

Most of the week I play my 16 Hd28, just because it's so fun and weeks are busy, but when my wife still at work I can't resist cranking em up. What color did you order?
HAH! Yeah I know. I've gotten caught up in always trying to get the latest and greatest. I would totally end up broke if I did that. I'm getting good at not keeping too much for myself now. Funny thing is that I never play shows anymore like when I was younger, but I still want great gear just in case!

I enjoy well made guitars like this JB BB which was pretty good, but it wasn't a good fit for me. There are so many good guitars to get but I spend A LOT of time trying to find the best fit and value for my money.

I ordered the dark burst. I like that tobacco burst look. There's a whole other thread for the 59s. Check it out.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
The Dark Burst 59' is currently in stock at Guitar Center for those dying to get one fast...

Latest Threads