Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul Custom is coming

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice... I noticed the screw, I was afraid that these were molded onto the shaft like Kluson.
Means we can probably adjust the tension if needed.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Hey I appreciate the pics, just wanted to clarify I knew the red was supposed to be there. I just never was able to clearly see it in previous forum photos.it was never a dig, Definitely a nice feature!!

How many of these are they making or for how long anyone know?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Man you guys are really giving me gas! If I didn't just get a Custom Pro I would own one of these already. Also, doesn't JB's headstock pic have the bigger diamond compared to Sp8ctre's? Are they still making them different sizes?

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
@CB91710 Hey that photo you posted is interesting. The diamond is aligned perfectly with top of truss rod. Mine is off a tad and I’ve seen others not perfectly aligned.

So many things I never even thought of until now, adding em all up I definitely am bringing mine back tomorrow. So if somebody don’t want to wait and aren’t as picky as me there will be one in Braintree Ma tomorrow.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
They are from what Joe has said in the video he posted comparing the guitar to the original 58'

Mine; You can see the red in a couple of them. I need to take some better pics...

View attachment 494333
Did it pack that way from the factory? Maybe it’s just the photo but that looks like a ton of bubble wrap under the headstock.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
@CB91710 Hey that photo you posted is interesting. The diamond is aligned perfectly with top of truss rod. Mine is off a tad and I’ve seen others not perfectly aligned.

So many things I never even thought of until now, adding em all up I definitely am bringing mine back tomorrow. So if somebody don’t want to wait and aren’t as picky as me there will be one in Braintree Ma tomorrow.
I didn’t notice at first til you mentioned it but it looks like some of the diamonds are behind the truss rod cover and some aren’t.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Did it pack that way from the factory? Maybe it’s just the photo but that looks like a ton of bubble wrap under the headstock.
Yes, that's the way I got it out of the box. Not sure if GC did that or the factory. Switch tip was also off and in a bag inside the case.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Could I ask all of you who have received one of these to post the weight?

I'm just curious. Joe said in the video they were light for non-weight relived guitars.

I'd like to know what weight that actually equals.

Mine is 9 Pounds even. Heavy to me, but not heavy in the scheme of things. I know my friends 78' Gibson BB is 12 Lbs.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I appreciate the pics, just wanted to clarify I knew the red was supposed to be there. I just never was able to clearly see it in previous forum photos.it was never a dig, Definitely a nice feature!!

How many of these are they making or for how long anyone know?
There are only 300 with the signature inlay.
The "standard" will probably be made until sales start to drop off. I'm surprised that both versions of the "Normburst" are still available... but "Clownburst" is a polarizing finish, and though examples people have received are a more toned down cherryburst, the images online look pretty bad.

He has released another ten tweed Twin Amps for $3500.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could I ask all of you who have received one of these to post the weight?

I'm just curious. Joe said in the video they were light for non-weight relived guitars.

I'd like to know what weight that actually equals.

Mine is 9 Pounds even. Heavy to me, but not heavy in the scheme of things. I know my friends 78' Gibson BB is 12 Lbs.
My '60s Standard is dead-on 10.
Sounds like most of these Customs are coming in at 9. Mine should be here in a couple of hours.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was lifted from Joe's site, so likely the prototype.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's here.
9 pounds.
Will get the neck measurements next weekend when I change the strings and do a setup after she acclimates.

Plugged it into my Fly-3, sound from the pickups has a consistent volume in all positions, except for a slight drop in the bridge/middle OOP position.
As others have observed, the volume goes from 0-10 all within the 7-10 range on the knobs... A bit annoying at bedroom volume, but I think it would probably be fine blasting through a tube amp, and offer a good amount of control with the gain backed off.

JBCase_1.jpg

JBCase_2.jpg

JB1stOpen.jpg

JBHSPack.jpg

JB_Body1.jpg

JB_HS_Frt.jpg

JBNut.jpg

JB_HS_Back.jpg

JBBRidge.jpg

JB12th.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
That bidge looks pretty high with lots of strings of tension on it. If you don't lower your action (thus lowering pressure on the bridge), I would at least raise the tailpiece to lessen strings angle. If not that bridge might eventually collapse. It has been seen before.

Sep13_PG_CLM_GuitarShop101_image7.jpg

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bidge looks pretty high with lots of strings of tension on it. If you don't lower your action (thus lowering pressure on the bridge), I would at least raise the tailpiece to lessen strings angle. If not that bridge might eventually collapse. It has been seen before.

Ya... That is literally straight out of the box.
I'll be doing a full setup next weekend.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
My volume knobs don't go from 0-10 in the 7-10 range. I get some decent increase from 2-7 and then much more in the 7-10 range, but I find that typical with a lot of volume pots on both amps and guitars. It's also one of those things where your ears sometime deceive you...

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My volume knobs don't go from 0-10 in the 7-10 range. I get some decent increase from 2-7 and then much more in the 7-10 range, but I find that typical with a lot of volume pots on both amps and guitars. It's also one of those things where your ears sometime deceive you...
Ya, that was an exaggeration... it's audible below 7, but that's where it really starts to come on. It's definitely an audio taper.
Tone controls seem more linear.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Sounds like a proper taper pot as opposed to a linear pot, which is by design isn’t it? I know many people prefer 500k but I’ve noticed that 300k sounds really good with a DiMarzio PAF, which kinda surprised me.

Anyway beautiful guitar, and thanks for sharing! I just might have to snatch one of these before too long.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did pop the strings out of the nut and take neck measurements:
1st Fret = 0.885
12th Fret = 1.018
Fret height = 0.440"

Comparison on the rest of my Gibby's:

2020 SG Standard - Depth @ 1st 0.8500", depth @ 12th 0.9875"
2019 LP Standard '60s - Depth @ 1st 0.8055", depth @ 12th 0.8970"
2019 Flying V - Depth @ 1st 0.8115", depth @ 12th 0.8605"

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
quick question does your guitar appear to be smaller because of it being black or is it the 3 pickups? Even my wife said it looked smaller, Are we trippin hear?

When next to my Gibson it seems maybe a tad thinner but everything else looks the same. I was going to return today but said ahh hell let me play it a day, it is really a lot of guitar for the money.

I haven't measured pickups but maybe there just lower output than the pickups on my other guitars that I am comparing the volume sweeps too. I guess my other guitars are more prominent between 6-10 but they have more output so they don't seem as low. But I have not adjusted the pickups yet either on BB. Fun to play for sure

Latest Threads