Joe Bonamassa and S/Duncan Team up

Rigidarm

Reaction score
Joe B.is cashing in

As he should and with his natural born integrity. No secret here that I am a huge fan.

Hey Phillip, it's amazing just how much your page photo looks like another guy that cashed in too. I remember seeing something about his net worth being near $300,000,000. A figure that would probably be over a BILLION had he not been taken from us all too soon. I do IMAGINE that he would have become an amazing philanthropist and a larger social conscience. Also, a guy that I too am a huge fan.

BrazenPicker

Reaction score
A bit (OK, a lot) off topic, but what makes me scratch my head is seeing people like Keith Richards in Louis Vuitton ads, selling suitcases to doctors' wives. Not every endorsement has to mean a sell-out (and I think JB's pickups are far from it), but this one makes me go WTF!? So much for the whole counterculture of the 60s and 70s.

As Adweek said: "his involvement in the campaign makes sense—if you’re selling leather bags, why not hire one, too?"

keith-richards-for-louis-vuitton-by-annie-leibovitz.jpg

Rigidarm

Reaction score
Man I am a big Keith Richards fan. Talk about a good ad with Keith living out of a suitcase and hotels, skippin around the world many times, who better!

Just finishing his book "Life" and he really says it well. Was a great read for what turns out to be a good guy in many ways. All the jokes and BS about them too old for Rock 'n Roll. F... that. He does it because he loves it and last time I heard there was no term limit on love. Anyway, I highly recommend his book, LIFE.

I have often heard the proverbial Question: If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be? Well, Keith sure comes to mind.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since tone is a very subjective thing let me start by saying that these pickups are very clear and articulate. I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of shimmer however.

I plugged in the Marshall 100 watt 2203, Master Volume at 1.5 (any higher and the dishes rattle upstairs) Preamp on about 5, Presence 6, Bass 8 and Treb 5,
Effects were hooked up but not on.

The thing that got me was the huge difference between the R8's BB 1&2 and the new Joe B's on the R9. Both guitars are 2010 and the R8 is only slightly heavier. Not enough difference between these two to make a tonal difference.

The BB's Rumble on 5 (guitar Volume) on either pickup, the highs are real crisp, but there is a weird flubby noise that is laced in, I dislike that aspect of BB's, These particular BB's do not have that ice pick feel that are present in some 57's

Not so on the Joe B's There is a big difference in comparative output on 5. When you get the volume up to 8 or 9 that changes and things get tighter. However even on 10 they fall short of the same "rumble' and bite that the BB's provide. There are clearer highs but they do not scream that Ice pick tone mentioned above. So far so good.
With that said, the flubbyness is gone and more harmonics find their way to the ear.

The BB's output is 7.77k and 8.16k
The Joe B's are 7.59k and 8.09k that should explain the rumble. Or lack thereof

So they are less powerful which is expected from a copy of a PAF.

Testing was interrupted (by the wife) by the need for grocery shopping before Easter, so was the video I was preparing.

I clearly need to crank the amp to 4 or so (painful on 5 or 6 it's a real loud amp) and resume testing. Remove the effects too. Till next time

Happy Easter!

Rhye

Reaction score
Man, thank you for your review and I'm eagerly waiting for the video you mentioned

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Here is a demo that sound great!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42qq7uyasR8]AUDIO DEMO: Joe Bonamassa Signature Seymour Duncan Pickups - YouTube[/ame]

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
And Joe talking about SD Amps...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfVDLqVMec4]Joe Bonamassa Talks About the Seymour Duncan Convertible Amp - YouTube[/ame]

Sct13

Reaction score
Hey thanx for finding that!

I will do mine soon. It won't sound that good I don't have a way to "pipe" into the 60D, unless someone can tell me...I have good mics....

Sct13

Reaction score
Ok so... finally after 73 takes....I got my one and only guitar video on u tube, what a monumental task that was jeeze! I dunno how you guys do this video posting thing. :naughty:

I am not a stellar guitarist and was just pulling stuff out of the thin air my basement, so like I said in the other post. I did a compare and contrast, remember this is on a Canon 60D camera mic (which wasn't bad) but I coulda doinked with the whole thing a bit longer....Any way

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUkDtA7y6BU]Joe Bonamassa Seymore Duncan Pickup review /compare - YouTube[/ame]

drew365

Reaction score
Nice job with the video. The JB's do sound good. What BB's were in the comparison guitar?

Sct13

Reaction score
Thanx! They are Burst Buckers 1 and 2, the stock Gibson pickups, not the BB pro's.

Latest Threads