Joe Bonamassa and S/Duncan Team up

SuiteAmpCo

Reaction score
Now I'm gonna reply again and again and again. I told you there is proof its on youtube and in guitar world magazine. Are you dense? Is that the problem here. LOOK IT UP! You can't be that lazy.
I can't figure out how to post pics, otherwise id put up the pics from the riverside show. But sorry I don't have one of his rig.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Now I'm gonna reply again and again and again. I told you there is proof its on youtube and in guitar world magazine. Are you dense? Is that the problem here. LOOK IT UP! You can't be that lazy.
I can't figure out how to post pics, otherwise id put up the pics from the riverside show. But sorry I don't have one of his rig.

The source of his tone is not the rack units!!!!:cool:

And maybe your ear in not trained enough so you hear all of his guitars sound the same, but i hear how the character of each fits the songs....

He uses FX, the FUZZ is a big part of his tone, but...if you are claiming he chats with rack guar for his tone you are clearly and hugely mistaken!:thumb:

SuiteAmpCo

Reaction score
I'm not wrong, joe said it himself. A preamp is where the bulk of the tone is generated, he uses a rack preamp and effects unit. Btw I do notice differences in the sound of the guitars but its not like its night and day, they sound pretty much the same.
Why can't it be a rack preamp n effects? What's the problem with that?

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Both of you need to grow up. Here, it was literally the first Google hit for "Joe Bonamassa rack units":

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGP7P9FNn4]Joe Bonamassa shows off his live rig - guitar amps & effects - YouTube[/ame]

SuiteAmpCo

Reaction score
Lol, that's actually older than the one is saw. As far as growing up, cmon man I can't have fun too. This guys been aggrevating everyone bout these damn Joe B pups. I knew it wouldn't take much too engage him. But every word I said was true.
Why is a rack system so bad?

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Nico, both of you guys are wrong. Joe does use a rack, but it is NOT full of processing equipment like Billy Gibbons' rig.

It's all on YouTube, if you care to look. It's an older video of his older rig, but last I saw it was still in use.
http:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqdtbTRM4k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nico, I would advise you to hold your tongue a bit, and stop insulting people. If you cannot argue your point without calling people idiots or morons, then do not post. Thanks.

From my iPad

BB

SuiteAmpCo

Reaction score
right on. actually i started out trying to have a fun convo and dude tries to get under your skin man. then he calls you a troll. i mean wtf. hope you cant blame me for messing with him. i agree joe is a god! like i said i'd bear his children if i could.
now nico why is a rack unit so bad?lol

frankfalbo

Reaction score
Whoa tough to get back to topic after a whole page of rack preamps and schoolgirl hair pulling! :laugh2:

Briefly I'll tell you my opinion on the baseplate. (not by proxy a "company position" or from Seymour or Joe) The brass screws are close enough in head shape, so if you're referring to them not being aged, it's on the highly decorative bottom of the pickup. Consider the way the bottom looks as part of the presentation more like the case candy of a guitar. Like on a Fender relic they don't age the care manual and warranty card, nor do they tear up the inside of the case. We're not trying to make Seymour and Joe's signatures look 60 years old either. (or the Bonamassa decal and CS sticker for that matter)

The screw holes in the baseplate: If your pointing out the small gaps around the screws I'll share my personal opinion about that. For tone, the primary concern is tightness into the spacer (keeper bar). After that, threading the baseplate only encourages the baseplate to lift and deform from the magnet and spacer, even if by a few thousandths. In an unpotted pickup this can encourage feedback at high volumes. I don't mind a "slip fit" on the baseplate. To thread the baseplate and use a looser spacer is not an option.

Finally, the little cuts/perfs that the stamper makes are apparently to provide a little relief for the bend areas to keep everything flat and true. Again this is beneficial with regard to fit and feedback. I don't mind those either, because as stated, the entire bottom is decorative, not meant to look like it was pulled from a 60 year old pickup. If it were a replacement baseplate for a damaged P.A.F. it would not be acceptable.

Rhust

Reaction score
I'm going to off topic and thank Frank... these answers speak loudly of SD's customer support... questions that would not be dignified with an answer from most companies were not only answered politely, but completely... I have used SD's for a lot of guitars past and present... and the fact an employee, much less a VP would take time to respond to these comments, and even offer rare insight into the process of bringing these pickups to market is beyond me. well done. thank you, you have cemented me using SDs for a long time... not that I was going anywhere anyhow.

jrt12

Reaction score
+1 Thank you very much Frank for coming on here and providing more info. I'm a huge SD fan because of the tone, have SD's in most of my guitars. But I'm even more of an SD fan now that I see how much you care about customers by your willingness to answer questions and give insight \m/

freddarl82

Reaction score
I'm going to off topic and thank Frank... these answers speak loudly of SD's customer support... questions that would not be dignified with an answer from most companies were not only answered politely, but completely... I have used SD's for a lot of guitars past and present... and the fact an employee, much less a VP would take time to respond to these comments, and even offer rare insight into the process of bringing these pickups to market is beyond me. well done. thank you, you have cemented me using SDs for a long time... not that I was going anywhere anyhow.

Amen! Well said! I'll say it, too: thanks Frank!

Dougie

Reaction score
Thank you Frank, the bottoms of these things look really cool I think, somebody took some time to lay these out and it shows!

Ok stepping ov3r the dumb sh*t, anybody that plays from the heart like Joe does, on this the most special occasion of his life, in front of his family, the entire world, this has been a childhood dream to stand on this stage and play, and man whoa he NAILS this SO WELL! T*H*I*S is the real deal, rack or no rack, and with all the mud slinging and (like Frank said) schoolgirl hair pulling, people tend to overlook the very reason for JB and SD to team up in the first place, and almost NO credit is given here musically, to the ONE WHO DESERVES IT THE MOST!

Once again, lets try and remember why we even have this topic/thread, and thankfully, the PICKUPS! (HAHA irony has it, I just now noticed I picked this vid cause of his vibrato, but the title of the song is STOP!) Gotta love it!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWty_lD1ZLA&feature=related[/ame]

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are here!

I will install tomorrow, too tired from the old pocket liner (job)

1st impression, Nice first rate packaging!

The appearance of the actual pickups are As Advertised, lightly aged and attractive. Signatures are a nice touch as is the label. As for the manufacturing differences from actual PAF's its not too big of a deal to me.

(I am a little disappointed in the covers) I think that Throwbaks are the better looking cover. However, if this is what Joe has, then so be it.

I got a nice low number too...

Nice LONG lead wires, and they are braided (I saw other pictures that were not).

Please see the pics.

There is a "Comparative Analysis" Photo of a BB and a Joe B just for fun. :cool:

Over the weekend I will get a tone report out, working too much to really get into it.
Joe-B-pup4.jpg
Joe-B-pup-3.jpg
Joe-B-pup6.jpg
Joe-B-pup5.jpg

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer Frank.:thumb:

Whoa tough to get back to topic after a whole page of rack preamps and schoolgirl hair pulling! :laugh2:

Briefly I'll tell you my opinion on the baseplate. (not by proxy a "company position" or from Seymour or Joe) The brass screws are close enough in head shape, so if you're referring to them not being aged, it's on the highly decorative bottom of the pickup. Consider the way the bottom looks as part of the presentation more like the case candy of a guitar. Like on a Fender relic they don't age the care manual and warranty card, nor do they tear up the inside of the case. We're not trying to make Seymour and Joe's signatures look 60 years old either. (or the Bonamassa decal and CS sticker for that matter)

The screw holes in the baseplate: If your pointing out the small gaps around the screws I'll share my personal opinion about that. For tone, the primary concern is tightness into the spacer (keeper bar). After that, threading the baseplate only encourages the baseplate to lift and deform from the magnet and spacer, even if by a few thousandths. In an unpotted pickup this can encourage feedback at high volumes. I don't mind a "slip fit" on the baseplate. To thread the baseplate and use a looser spacer is not an option.

Finally, the little cuts/perfs that the stamper makes are apparently to provide a little relief for the bend areas to keep everything flat and true. Again this is beneficial with regard to fit and feedback. I don't mind those either, because as stated, the entire bottom is decorative, not meant to look like it was pulled from a 60 year old pickup. If it were a replacement baseplate for a damaged P.A.F. it would not be acceptable.

Latest Threads