Joe B. 58 Les Paul Custom BB Owners Thread

Lwilliams

Reaction score
Something interesting I've noticed on BBs - early made examples (mid 2020) are different from later ones (late 2020).

I am comparing my June 2020 BB to November 2020 BB. Here are the differences I observed so far:
1) Frets on June example are chunkier and thicker comparing to November guitar. Frets on June one look jumbo vs frets on Nov guitar. I've noticed the same about frets on Epiphone 1959 outfit - jumbo June 2020vs normal frets on late 2020 - early 2021 guitars.
2) Ebony fretboard material on June guitar is darker and more uniform vs November samples, which had lighter streaks in them. June ebony is nice solid black.

I can't comment about the frets. But, I bought 4 of these a few weeks ago. All were built Nov. 2020. The ebony boards are all completely black with no streaks or light spots. In fact, the ebony looks just as good as the boards on all my Martin acoustics.

I have a 1976 LPC and the board on the JB looks the same as that one. But, the JB sounds better!!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, gone again. I clicked your link and it says the page does not exist.

mr. rj

Reaction score
Unfortunately my joe.b is the one least played, but not because I don't like it. I just play others more often, I've been thinking of selling it or trading it. Not sure yet. Great guitars for sure though...
mij.jpg

pondcaster

Reaction score
Honeymoon period over and I'm still loving this beauty!

Outstanding guitar, imo.

Wonder if they'll ever make another run?

wjlim22

Reaction score
Unfortunately my joe.b is the one least played, but not because I don't like it. I just play others more often, I've been thinking of selling it or trading it. Not sure yet. Great guitars for sure though... View attachment 561548
The one on the left is interesting. Is that a Japanese Epiphone release?

mr. rj

Reaction score
The one on the left is interesting. Is that a Japanese Epiphone release?
Yes sir, its a 2000 made in japan epi custom. This pic was taken before I installed gibson tim shaw PAF's....it gets more playing time than the joe b. custom, but both are very good.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am seeing these guitars being sold on Craigslist and Reverb for 1.5-2k. They are already going up in value. To tell you the truth though, I think if you want to make money from the guitar, you're better off selling it now while there is still the hype. I don't think this will go up in value later down the road. You might be able to get $700-$800 for it in 4-5 years I am thinking. Sure it's a great guitar and a limited run, but for the most part, it's a 58 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty Re-Issue with a little bit of extra bling on the case worth $700-$800.

mr. rj

Reaction score
I am seeing these guitars being sold on Craigslist and Reverb for 1.5-2k. They are already going up in value. To tell you the truth though, I think if you want to make money from the guitar, you're better off selling it now while there is still the hype. I don't think this will go up in value later down the road. You might be able to get $700-$800 for it in 4-5 years I am thinking. Sure it's a great guitar and a limited run, but for the most part, it's a 58 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty Re-Issue with a little bit of extra bling on the case worth $700-$800.
I was thinking of listing mine, but I simply can't bring myself to sell it for more than I think its worth. Even though I too overpaid on the used market as well. Selling for 3 times over the list price doesn't sit well with me. So I'm just going to keep it for now. Maybe make my money back down the road. Here in Canada, the fellow wanted $1600cdn, but he took my offer of 14, which is $1100US...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
That is definitely more reasonable than $1500-$2000 US. I am going to hold on to mine I think for about 10 years, and then give it to my son at some point. Who knows though, we so often want to switch things around and try something new. Plus, I really don't think of it as a collectors item, it's just a great limited run 1 off guitar to jam with and enjoy. What I mean by 1 off, is that it is a replica of Joe Bonamassa's 58 Black Beauty and I don't think there are very many just like his with the wonky tuners.

Latest Threads