Joe B. 58 Les Paul Custom BB Owners Thread

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I figured I would start an Owners Thread for this guitar, since MF/GC just released something like 52 of these they had laying around in stock for awhile. I got mine right off the bat from Sweetwater back in October of 2020 after I got an email from Epiphone. The email showed some pictures of it with a Video of Joe playing it and comparing it to his 58 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty which is what this guitar was based off of. I really like the guitar even though it has a Medium C neck which is a little bigger than the Slim Taper necks I usually play. This guitar feels great and sounds great, as well as having a really nice yellow aged binding look to it, I mean what a beautiful guitar. Looks great, feels great and sounds great, definitely a win/win for Epiphone on this guitar. I put some Hipshot Locking tuners on mine, they look good and work great. I am glad this one came with the aged yellow binding on the neck since Joe's Gibson actually had white binding.

epijoebbfull2.jpg
epijoebbbody2.jpg
epigibneck.jpg

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
Just joined! Got one of the "last 52" and am very, very glad I did. After the reviews from last Oct/Nov, I was wishing I'd have gotten one and when they apparently had sold out everywhere, figured oh well, I'll never pony up for a Black Beauty with a G on the headstock. That being said, when some were recently made available at GC online, I didn't hesitate.

In a word, impressive. Without a doubt. Setup pretty much perfect for me out-of-the-box and was practically in tune? Great packing.

Tuners feel more solid and look better than I expected. Hate to use this term but "fit & finish" on this one can only be described as top-notch. Solid. I even really like the case although I wouldn't take it to any jams... why advertise?

In reference to my post in an earlier thread, did I get a light one? Probably not but to be totally honest, I thought I had until I pulled the digital scale out. Deceptively substantial. Would I like to have gotten one less than 9#s? Of course but that doesn't seem to be an issue now that I've played this one?

Have only played her for less than an hour with stock strings and only into my 68CVR but am loving all I hear. Great tones from all positions with DLS and clean. Again, I'm so impressed with this. I've always been an Epiphone fan and have owned a few really nice MIK models but this is in another league, imo.

The nicest surprise is the neck. Holy smokes! Haven't done the caliper thing yet but it feels sooooo right. All the way up, too. Will post measurements asap in addition to pickup outputs.

Only thing I can see that is even remotely an issue is after taking the pickguard off to inspect, the finish under the forward most screw is flaked off. Super picky and since I'm a "pickguard on LPs" guy, certainly no worries here.

TL,DR:
Great LPC.

Last edited:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I figured I would start an Owners Thread for this guitar, since MF/GC just released something like 52 of these they had laying around in stock for awhile. I got mine right off the bat from Sweetwater back in October of 2020 after I got an email from Epiphone. The email showed some pictures of it with a Video of Joe playing it and comparing it to his 58 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty which is what this guitar was based off of. I really like the guitar even though it has a Medium C neck which is a little bigger than the Slim Taper necks I usually play. This guitar feels great and sounds great, as well as having a really nice yellow aged binding look to it, I mean what a beautiful guitar. Looks great, feels great and sounds great, definitely a win/win for Epiphone on this guitar. I put some Hipshot Locking tuners on mine, they look good and work great. I am glad this one came with the aged yellow binding on the neck since Joe's Gibson actually had white binding.

View attachment 552956 View attachment 552957 View attachment 552958
say brother. How bout give me those vintage style epiphone tuners. I’ll throw em away for ya :naughty:

Lwilliams

Reaction score
The weights on mine are:

I have seen a few at 10 pounds and a little over. But for a solid mahogany, non weight-relieved, guitar with and extra pickup, these are really good.

I have played them through various amps and they are consistent in tone. I really love how they sound through my Matchless DC-30. Good through Fender and Bad Cat. They sound OK through my Marshall.....but that is my least favorite with these guitars.

After missing out on the initial batch, I really owe my rep at MF Private Reserve a huge "thanks" for the phone call alerrting me to that lot of 52 they received.

[url=https://postimg.cc/21JkxYc5][/URL]

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I am keeping them in case me or my son ever want to put it back to its original state.
Good move brother. Although it would be nice to have some, I’d much rather you hold on to them. The only way to get those tuners is by the new joe les Paul, or buy a highly expensive guitar or spend 300+ for the vintage tuners themselves. Always has that extra pinch of pride when you got fresh parts barely used. Like an old picture. Find it decades later, look at it for a minute and look back to the good old days.

pondcaster

Reaction score

Played for a day to see if there was any reason to return. Can't imagine. This guitar plays itself.

Even though the stock strings/set up were not too bad, when a new one comes in I always like to strip, clean and go over completely. My twin bro left his '66 Mustang and a set of new strings to put on so I figured I'd just use those. After stringing, noticed the growl and bite was gone with all knobs and settings the same? What the @#$%? Called brother and he reminded me that the strings I "borrowed" were from a set he'd bought for my nephew who's learning now and he thought 9s would be easier. Nines. Always wondered if I would like them but after this experience, not a chance. Tone suckers, for me anyway. Banjo time.

Had to run down to local GC (Spartanburg, SC) to grab a few sets of my fav strings. Also, first time I'd been down there in about a year. The used section was a tiny bit smaller than usual but new inventory was back to normal. PSA: they had a Gibson Standard 50s with a superb top...

So, couple days of non-stop playin' my Beauty and well,...it's a definite keeper.

Here's her specs:
Neck
1.74 wide .92 tall @1st
1.82 .94 @3rd
2.11 1.02 @12th

Pickups
Neck 7.88
Middle 4.14
Bridge 8.55

Last edited:

Lwilliams

Reaction score
All four that I bought were close right out of the box. I did not have to touch the truss rod, but the action on all of them was slightly above Gibson Les Paul specs. Instead of 5/64 and 3/64, they were closer to 7/64 and 5/64. Just a tiny adjustment and they were great.

I still have the factory strings on. But I will switch to my favorite soon.

I do want to perform a Faber ABR-1 conversion on one of these. Soon.

wjlim22

Reaction score
You guys who got a good one of these are very lucky. These guitars sound incredible. I tried two of them and both had a rattling string buzz that I couldn't live with, but I loved the way it sounded coming out of my JCM800. I think the thick neck and mahogany body made these pickups sound very good. If anyone has an extra one of these that they would want to part with, please let me know.

pondcaster

Reaction score
You guys who got a good one of these are very lucky. These guitars sound incredible. I tried two of them and both had a rattling string buzz that I couldn't live with, but I loved the way it sounded coming out of my JCM800. I think the thick neck and mahogany body made these pickups sound very good. If anyone has an extra one of these that they would want to part with, please let me know.

Hate to hear that! Truth is, I've got you to thank since until you posted there were a few more to be had, I figured they were loooong sold out. So in that respect, I know I got very lucky on this one. Outside of the weight (10lb), it's flawless. And plays like an old guitar, if that makes sense? Probably the loudest unplugged I've ever had, fwiw?

It's been so long since I owned a black guitar, I forgot how easy they show every smudge, mark, drool, etc.

Worth it, though.

wjlim22

Reaction score

Hate to hear that! Truth is, I've got you to thank since until you posted there were a few more to be had, I figured they were loooong sold out. So in that respect, I know I got very lucky on this one. Outside of the weight (10lb), it's flawless. And plays like an old guitar, if that makes sense? Probably the loudest unplugged I've ever had, fwiw?

It's been so long since I owned a black guitar, I forgot how easy they show every smudge, mark, drool, etc.

Worth it, though.
I'm gonna give it one more shot. I had to buy one from the secondary market. Owner said no fret buzz on this one.

wjlim22

Reaction score

darkvoice

Reaction score
Something interesting I've noticed on BBs - early made examples (mid 2020) are different from later ones (late 2020).

I am comparing my June 2020 BB to November 2020 BB. Here are the differences I observed so far:
1) Frets on June example are chunkier and thicker comparing to November guitar. Frets on June one look jumbo vs frets on Nov guitar. I've noticed the same about frets on Epiphone 1959 outfit - jumbo June 2020vs normal frets on late 2020 - early 2021 guitars.
2) Ebony fretboard material on June guitar is darker and more uniform vs November samples, which had lighter streaks in them. June ebony is nice solid black.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Took BB to our weekly dairy barn Bros jam this morning and she definitely did not disappoint.

Quite the contrary, this LP is sooooo versatile. And just inviting to play, if that makes sense.

Tbh, my Gibson translucent cherry classic is in her case and getting very nervous. It's been a while since she's seen any action...?

Latest Threads