JMI vs British pedal company

Mr French

Reaction score
I'm looking for a fuzz and I presume an MKii is what I'm after except I cannot figure out who would be the best to go with and which transistors should it have. Looking to get in the ballpark of Jeff Beck/Jimy Page Yardbirds tonality.

Many years ago I had purchased a few Roger Mayer fuzz pedals including the original Page Fuzz and that model was horrible. Sounded so much of an MKi which I do not like.

Granted I know these boy's used Telecasters in the Yardbirds and I am trying to scout for a Jimmy Page blonde tele with the possibility of adding a B Bender from Desert star guitars!

Would it be worth the wait for D*A*M if so, with what transistors?

Last edited:

jlee

Reaction score
Both Beck and Page used a MKI Tone Bender in The Yardbirds.

The Roger Mayer Page Fuzz circuit is based off a Maestro FZ-1. The original fuzz he built for Page had a second enclosure with a separate foot switch. Page used it during his session days.

JMI and British Pedal Company are one in the same. The owners have a history of false advertising and fraud. Pedals sound ok, but you’re giving your money to some incredibly dishonest people.

Last edited:

Mr French

Reaction score
Both Beck and Page used a MKI Tone Bender in The Yardbirds.

The Roger Mayer Page Fuzz circuit is based off a Maestro FZ-1. The original fuzz he built for Page had a second enclosure with a separate foot switch. Page used it during his session days.

JMI and British Pedal Company are one in the same. The owners have a history of false advertising and fraud. Pedals sound ok, but you’re giving your money to some incredibly dishonest people.
The roger mayer "page" was a horrible pedal for my taste and I honestly felt it was more of a marketing scheme. I'm interested more in the saturated tone that page had when he was in the Yardbirds and I'm sure it was not an FZ-1 as that's what the stones used.

fernieite

Reaction score
I'm interested more in the saturated tone that page had when he was in the Yardbirds and I'm sure it was not an FZ-1 as that's what the stones used.

Like this? It was a Sola Sound Tone Bender. Not sure if it had the MK 1.5 or the MK II circuit. Probably the MK II, which is way more saturated. (3 transistors, rather than just 2)

yardbirds_Chaville, April 30th, 1967.jpg

mdubya

Reaction score
I would suggest getting a JHS Bender Fuzz as a base line, then do your research for an ultimate purchase from there.

JMHO.

LOFBender-large.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with Tone Benders. I tend to prefer to stack them with something else. YMMV.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Page used a MK-II. Macari's has a pic on their website of the original receipt from when he bought it, plus I saw the actual pedal up close at the Play It Loud exhibit a few years ago.

The wait list and price tag at Macari's are kind of excruciating, but you're right - the markup on the secondary market is eye-wateringly high. I lucked out finding a used D*A*M MK-II for a reasonable price, but that was pre-pandemic. I'd suggest trying out some clones until prices come back down to Earth.

1653436577269.jpg

jlee

Reaction score
Page had a gold Tone Bender while he was in the Yardbirds. MKII enclosure, but painted gold. It is possible he used both a MKI and MKII on Little Games. Title track and Smile On Me sound like a MKI.

Mr French

Reaction score
Page had a gold Tone Bender while he was in the Yardbirds. MKII enclosure, but painted gold. It is possible he used both a MKI and MKII on Little Games. Title track and Smile On Me sound like a MKI.
Back in those days there was not many options for fuzz pedals so I'm sure he had all variations and used what sounded best for the time.

Latest Threads