"Jimmy Page" wiring: GROUND ISSUE! Help!

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
Hey all! First thread in this forum. So I'm rewiring an Epi Les Paul with the Jimmy Page wiring and I'm having an odd ground issue. Everything is absolutely correct in my wiring and soldering. Two new pickups (Pearly Gates neck, Duncan Custom bridge), all new pots and caps. But for some reason I'm getting a ground issue. At first I thought maybe the ground wire to the bridge was loose or disconnected, but I took a wire from the actual strings to the pot casing and there was no change. I can not seem to debug this ground issue. The only leftover parts from the Epi wiring is the jack and switch. Has anyone else had this issue from the JP wiring? Think it could be the old switch maybe? HEEEEELLLLLP! I'm going mad from buzzzzzzzz!

This is the diagram used

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got pics of the control cavity?

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
No camera. But everything is exactly as it should be from the SD wiring diagram. All pots grounded *switch to NV, NV to NT, NT to BT, BT to BV, BV to switch, with the jack grounded to switch and bridge grounded to NV. And I'm still getting a buzz when my fingers aren't touching the strings. Heavy buzz when the volume is at 0. Buzz goes away if I touch the pots or jack.

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
I did read this from RAZ59 in an older thread...

While I have not tested this claim, it is said that with the SD JP wiring you cannot ground the pots in any arbitrary way. I had a lengthy discussion in another thread about why this happens, but to no avail.

The proposed 'working' ground path would be the one highlighted in blue in this picture:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/141/l_1725013e864f4ad682a484a621b88766.jpg
I honestly can't see why grounding it this way vs. the way I grounded would make a difference, but then again this is my first stab at the JP wiring.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
The first Duncan diagram you linked would only work if there was shielding in the control cavity or the Gibson metal plate was in place. Otherwise there wouldn't be a ground path for the volume controls and the pots wouldn't be shielding anything.

The "workaround" diagram fixes this.

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
Yes I know that. I grounded all pots *switch to NV, NV to NT, NT to BT, BT to BV, BV to switch, with the jack grounded to switch and bridge grounded to NV.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
You have a ground loop there with two connections from the pots to the switch.

But that's not going to cause the problem you have. Sounds like you have something wired wrong. Do you have the identical problem with each pickup by itself, no phase, no series, no tap, just "regular"?

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
Yep. Same thing on both pickups and throughout all "21 tones". Everything is wired correct.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
No offense, but if everything was wired correctly you wouldn't be having this problem.

Looking more closely at the SD diagrams, they have lugs 1 and 2 of the volume pots reversed. That's likely your problem.

So, you did have everything wired like the diagram, but the diagram is incorrect.

Reverse lugs 1 and 2 of the volume pots but keep the tone connections on lug 2 of each volume pot and you should be good to go.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
I didn't see that earlier because I didn't dream SD would mess up something so basic. I didn't realize Homer Simpson had that gig.

Indyclone

Reaction score
I've seen where a lot of people simply swapped the connections to the jack. Try changing where the + and - are connected to it.

if it's not that try just moving some wires around with your finger in there while it's plugged in. If you just have a long exposed lead that is coming into contact with something it shouldn't this could happen.

If it's not either of those and every wire is connected where it should be, you've probably dripped some solder into somewhere you shouldn't have.

Indyclone

Reaction score
I started with the Seymour Duncan Diagram... and changed it a bit into this:

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
Switching lugs 1 & 2 on the vol pots makes the volume control's independent, which is what I prefer. Shouldn't cause this problemo.

+ & - on the jack are wired correct and I've double checked every connection. Haven't tried the star grounding though.

Indyclone

Reaction score
Switching lugs 1 & 2 on the vol pots makes the volume control's independent, which is what I prefer. Shouldn't cause this problemo.

+ & - on the jack are wired correct and I've double checked every connection. Haven't tried the star grounding though.
star grounding won't help that.

If it's not the jack you've got a wire crossing or solder drip somewhere.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score

That "independent" wiring also causes noise and quite frankly sucks. Try my suggestion and see if your noise goes away.

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
That "independent" wiring also causes noise and quite frankly sucks. Try my suggestion and see if your noise goes away.
But this is a ground issue where if I have my hands off the strings, hummmmm / hands on the strings, none.

Anyone think it could be a faulty push pull pot or the switch or something??

doldrumdesign

Reaction score
Double (at this point, octuple) checked my wiring and soldering, all correct. No crossed wires, no solder drips.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Dont ground your NV to NT, wire it like the pic raz has, then if no dice at least give us something to work from, a pic or diagram or something, hard taking wild stabs in the dark

edit. Sorry, i missed the diagram link you posted, still, try the above then drop back in and let us know how you go:), lyle is spot on about your pup and switch wires, wired the way on your diagram will give you alot grief in the LP