Jimmy Page wiring for an LP Custom: which push-pull pots?

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me here, I cannot make heads or tails out of what type pots I need for JP wiring. I know I want 500k. Do I want long shaft? Are split shaft the right choice for speed knobs? Is fine spline the correct option for a US LP? Are there any brands that are considered superior to consider?

As usual, the Internet inundates one with choices, to the point of being overwhelmed. If anyone can offer any insight I’d be appreciative.

LP1865

Reaction score
Are split shaft the right choice for speed knobs?
Yes.

fine spline the correct option for a US LP?
Yes, if you go with CTS pots.m
Are there any brands that are considered superior to consider?
Most people prefer CTS pots, including myself. If you want Jimmy Page wiring, go with push pull pots.
Do I want long shaft?
im not so sure about this, so hang on until someone weighs in

LCPG282

Reaction score
Which Pot do you need...
Gibson Les Pauls that take long shaft pots:
Standard's
Faded's
Classic's
Studio's
Traditional's
50's & 60's Tributes
Historic '68 Custom RI
1977-current Custom's
1977-current Deluxe's
1977-1982 Pro's

Gibson Les Pauls that take short shaft pots:
Historic R4/R5/R6/R7/R8/R9/R0
1952-1977 Standard's
1954-1977 Custom's
1968-1977 Deluxe's
Historic R7 Custom
The Paul's
Les Paul Special's
Les Paul Jr.'s

Of course, with Gibson, there are lots of transitional changes, custom one-offs that may not follow the list.

ALL EPIPHONES TAKE SHORT SHAFT POTS!
(the only exception is the Epiphone Les Paul Elitist)

Tip: Long shaft pots will fit in ANY Les Paul; adjust the nuts for proper height above the top.

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
That list is extremely helpful- thanks!

It’s an 80 Custom, so long shafts it is.

And thanks for the other replies, all.

LCPG282

Reaction score
I've done the JP wiring on my 2005 Standard Faded and went with CTS 500K Push/Pull Pots (longshaft,) they are top quality and you can't go wrong with them. If accidentally detached when pulling a stuck knob off, the shafts are clipped on the pots and fit back easily by pushing them back in.
BTW if needed, here is a detailed step-by-step guide that I've used to do the JP mod, clear and fully efficient:

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
I've done the JP wiring on my 2005 Standard Faded and went with CTS 500K Push/Pull Pots (longshaft,) they are top quality and you can't go wrong with them. If accidentally detached when pulling a stuck knob off, the shafts are clipped on the pots and fit back easily by pushing them back in.
BTW if needed, here is a detailed step-by-step guide that I've used to do the JP mod, clear and fully efficient:

Awesome, thanks. Which site did you order CTS pots from? Seems there are all sorts of variations from Emerson, Mojotone, etc., all claiming to be the best version. I’d like to avoid StewMac if possible, their spamming of my inbox annoys me.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
His black beauty had so much going on...
he and [the person] Les Paul had a lot more going on in their brains when it came to guitar sounds...

look at those switches :drool:

E047660B-4D2F-4F6E-94F8-2F130E45D437.jpeg

LCPG282

Reaction score

Latest Threads