Jimmy Page Says - No Led Zeppelin Reunion

LesLuvva

Reaction score
I will be forever grateful that unbelieveably cool Mom and Dad took a 12 year old Lannes to Freedom Hall, Louisville, Kentucky on April 25th, 1977 to see-

The Song Remains The Same
Sick Again
Nobody's Fault But Mine
In My Time Of Dying
Since I've Been Loving You
No Quarter
Ten Years Gone
The Battle Of Evermore
Going To California
Black Country Woman
Bron Yr Aur Stomp
White Summer
Kashmir
Moby Dick
Guitar Solo
Achilles Last Stand
Stairway To Heaven
Rock And Roll

Hundreds of concerts later, it's still in the top 5.

You are correct - your mom & dad were/are unbelievably cool.:thumb:

River

Reaction score
As much as I was excited for the O2 "reunion", the music lost a lot of it's punch from having to downtune to compensate for Percy's loss of vocal range(not slinging mud, Robert Plant will always be the "Golden God"). Has to be BEYOND frustrating for Jimmy to not be able to tour the music that made him a legend...but without Robert, there simply is NO Led Zeppelin. Time to let it rest.
See, I don't think it lost any of its punch; I think it gained from being more masterfully performed and respected. Lost some "rawness", sure. But we could pick that apart like orchestral directors and classical music critics dissect Mozart, Beethoven, and Wagner.

The BBC session bootlegs (not the stuff that got released officially) raise the same issues, and they were made about 40 years ago. "Oh, listen, there's no punch, the guitar's too clean, Jimmy sounds more like John Lee Hooker than himself, and OMG, where's the reverb and reverse delay?"

Yeah, but they're fvckin' great, aren't they? The covers of "Mess o' The Blues" and "Honey Bee" on that bootleg are priceless.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
So who's stuck in the '70s? :hmm:

I remain relatively unimpressed with TSRTS sound track, and think much of what I've heard from the reunion concert is much better.

As far as Zep goes?

Yes, stuck in the 70's.

Even if they wrote and released new material, no one would want to hear it vs. the old stuff.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Say what you want but if they did get back together for a tour, I know that I'd buy a ticket.

The_Sentry

Reaction score

Sez most bands that are on the reunion/whatever circuit.

Think anyone goes to Eagles concerts to hear the latest?
Or KISS Concerts?
Or .38 Special Concerts?
Or Steve Miller Concerts?
How about Whitesnake?
Rolling Stones?
Ozzy Osbourne?
Black Sabbath?
Lynyrd Skynrd?
How about any of these guys?

When these guys put out new albums, do you hear the new songs on the radio? Or is it more akin to going on tour and they play a token song off of the new album the 2nd or 3rd song into their set and call it good?

And that's with bands that play and rehearse consistently (well, as consistently as they can.)

It makes no sense for Zep to reunite. There's nothing left to prove. And no, dress it up all you like, but 2012 Zep could never compare to 1972 Zep.

They're better off doing other stuff. Especially Jones who really expanded AFTER the band went on hiatus.

River

Reaction score
Sez most bands that are on the reunion/whatever circuit.
No, sez you. None of those bands are in the same league.

If Zep "built" it, they would come. Even my cynical, jaded brother would come.

web-design-field-of-dreams.jpg

Maybe you wouldn't, but you wouldn't be missed. 10,000 people would be in line for your ticket.

Sorry, Sents, I value your opinion on most other matters relating to music. On this one, you're a lost duck.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
So basically he's saying the same thing he's been saying for years? Jeez when are people going to let this one go? We're likely to see a full GnR reunion where they hug and kiss each other after each performance than a Zep reunion.

7gtop

Reaction score
"moronic" as I may sound here ..... :wow:

If the remaining members had "only" sales cash on their minds , they
would certainly "re-group" and hence , play again .

I believe "they" are interested in their "legacy" and material of that "time-frame" .... :wave:

A comparative , of which seems "humanly" inevitable , to their "past" .....
is certainly not "kool" with these business and historically "smart" gents .

.... would they "sell" tickets .... of course , they would .... :applause:

..... pray-tell ..... "what ever for" .... :D

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
No, sez you. None of those bands are in the same league.

If Zep "built" it, they would come. Even my cynical, jaded brother would come.

web-design-field-of-dreams.jpg

Maybe you wouldn't, but you wouldn't be missed. 10,000 people would be in line for your ticket.

Sorry, Sents, I value your opinion on most other matters relating to music. On this one, you're a lost duck.

Remove .38 Special, Whitesnake, and Steve Miller from Sentry's list and you've a group of bands that are VERY much in the same league as Led Zep......both today and in their respective primes years ago.

57VOS

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It was good to see them all together minus JB of course. They all look good. JPJ has always been the quiet one.

I dont understand why they dont go on tour. Seems like they are all getting along and all. It would be one of the most anticipated and successful reunion tours of all time. Bigger than Sabbath. Bigger than the Stones. Bring it on I wanna see Jimmy Page in concert!

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
I dont understand why they dont go on tour. Seems like they are all getting along and all. It would be one of the most anticipated and successful reunion tours of all time. Bigger than Sabbath. Bigger than the Stones. Bring it on I wanna see Jimmy Page in concert!

I don't recall the sources, but I've seen snippets of interviews with both Page and Plant that it's largely a matter of just flat out not wanting to go out there and try to do something that they don't think they can still do anymore. Personally I think they'd probaly sound just as good today as they did in the 70's. But there's more to it than just getting along with your old bandmates. They're still on good terms, but people still change and make decisions based on much more than whether or not they can stomach being with 50 yards of their old band members.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

It would be a huge money maker, that's for sure.

No idea what the music would be like. I had to agree with River, though, that TSRTS wasn't exactly epiphanous. But for me, LZ was essentially history the instant that Bonzo checked out. Jason is a great drummer and is obviously his father's son... but still, the switcheroo didn't exactly work out for me. It didn't work with the Ronnie/Johnny Van Zant substitution, either. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I do know that this is how I've always felt.

New material? I could only judge it by hearing it. I never guess about stuff like that because anything is possible, and that's for better or worse. I wouldn't put a hell of a lot of money on any sort of bet either way.

--R

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd go if they toured, but I'm not all heartbroken (Heartbreaker?) that they're not.

Thread does have me working on figuring out "The Immigrant Song" though. :)

Red Flametop

Reaction score
Yeah, but they're fvckin' great, aren't they?.

Oh, ABSOLUTELY...wouldn't think of arguing against that point.

Perhaps I chose the wrong descriptive when trying to convey my thoughts("punch")....one of the pitfalls of attempting to communicate such intangible things like thought and emotion.

It's just weird how tuning down so drastically can change the dynamics of a song(sometimes better, sometimes not so much)....but yes, I'd be one of the multitudes of sheeple tossing down greenbacks for a ticket if that opportunity arose(tried doing so for the last mini-tour Bob Seger pulled....those tickets were G-O-N-E in no time flat).

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No idea why that tour or at least the show at the Greek has not been commercially released on DVD or Blu-ray.

probably due to hassles with royalties,rights,etc.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd go if they toured, but I'm not all heartbroken (Heartbreaker?) that they're not.

:laugh2: Yer a goofball!

Thread does have me working on figuring out "The Immigrant Song" though. :)

That one is easy to learn, but not so easy to play with perfect consistency. The string skipping in the single-note progression is what makes it tricky.

For that progression, hammeron to F# from E note (sixth string open) and alternate with with F# note at fret four on the D string. The significant chord progression is A5 to E5 (2x) and ending with first position A major.

That's another fifty bucks you owe me, bub. ;)

--R :D

ETA: Took out the Asus2 thing... I should have actually played it before I wrote up my first bit.

Latest Threads