Jimmy Page Pickups

trapland

Reaction score
I thought the pickup failed in Australia and an Aussie installed a Chrome T-Top
This sounds right to me too. Page interview maybe?

Its funny how much legend there is about Page's modded this and custom that. Yet there is surprisingly very little documented evidence that he did much more than play and maintain what was generally available for the Zeppelin era. Experiment he did for sure, but there just wasn't much reason to seek out custom amp and guitar mods when he did so well with what was already available. Plus, Led Zeppelin were BUSY! Especially those first few years, something breaks, have it repaired just like any other bloke, or buy a few new ones. Custom work takes time and is NOT generally available. Later, post Zeppelin, he had the luxury of time, different pickup wiring mods, custom amps, even auto tuning guitars, but almost none of tha made it into Zeppelin.

I like the T-top era too, especially in the middle position.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Exactly the sound I was going for when I was looking to replace the stock '57's in my 2011 Trad Plus.

I went with Mick from Manlius Pickups.

He made me a matched set (his "Landmark" with an A4 magnet in the neck, T-Top in the bridge, both un potted) for me that I really really like. Really nails that Page tone from '73.

Manlius Guitar Pickups - Premium Handwound Electric Guitar Pickups
+1 for Mick. :applause:

I chose a set made of a Landmark PAF on neck and Vinyl (T-Top) bridge, not only nailed JP's tone (all other parameters concidered), and the extra output on bridge able me to play much more other things too.

Here's what made me interested at first to Manlius pups:
SoloDallas.com | T-Top Replicas – A successful tone report!

elrad

Reaction score
Update. I tried a guitar with an Authentic Zeppelin Page pickup in the bridge and have to say it nails the mid-70's Page tone. I have a number of T-Tops from that era and would prefer the AZ Page pickups. Hopefully Rene's customer service is improving.
Updated update. I've tried a number of boutique and non-boutique pickups. Here's a taste of some of the best results so far:

- '76 TTops
- Stephens Design PAF replicas
- Zhangbucker PAFs

All very subjective, of course. Some TTops stand-out over others. Perhaps coincidentally, my two favorite sets come from 1976 Les Pauls. The Stephens Design pups noticeably upgraded my Les Paul Trad.

Metal Guru

Reaction score
Another option for Page tone (especially on the middle position) are the Throbak 70's/Select (T-Top) set.
I recently installed a set in my '03 VOS and they get the job done.
A word of caution: the LP you start with has to have a rock ' roll bias in it's tone in order to get Page tone. No pick-up will fix a guitar that doesn't have the base tone nailed.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
elrad and Metal Guru, did you also install or already have '50's wiring or special pots for your pickup choices? I've been trying to get near that Page middle position quack from his Zeppelin days. I came upon this example of Page in a practice session....

Classicplayer

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
elrad and Metal Guru, did you also install or already have '50's wiring or special pots for your pickup choices? I've been trying to get near that Page middle position quack from his Zeppelin days. I came upon this example of Page in a practice session....

Classicplayer
I can get this exact tone.

I have 2 late 60s early 70s T Tops in my R9. The slightly hotter of the two is in the neck position.

Lowering the volume on the neck pickup is key. Also, less gain on the amp will help you get there.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I can get this exact tone.

I have 2 late 60s early 70s T Tops in my R9. The slightly hotter of the two is in the neck position.

Lowering the volume on the neck pickup is key. Also, less gain on the amp will help you get there.
My '18 Trad has a BB 1 and 2 pair which came stock with the guitar. I do keep the gain down, tweak e.q. for a bright tone and usually lower the neck pup volume below bridge volume. It's a version of that “quack” that Page usually got in the middle, but I don't expect to get even near Page's tone in the video above.

Another puzzle that the answer eludes me is: How much of that quacky Page tone is due to pickups, how much is the guitar wood, and how much comes from the amp's e.q.? I know the some of that tone comes from Page's technique, the strings that he used, and some from the state of the art in 1970's technology in record equipment. Most of the world was introduced Jimmy via recordings; a far lesser number through attending Zeppelin concerts.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
My '18 Trad has a BB 1 and 2 pair which came stock with the guitar. I do keep the gain down, tweak e.q. for a bright tone and usually lower the neck pup volume below bridge volume. It's a version of that “quack” that Page usually got in the middle, but I don't expect to get even near Page's tone in the video above.
The warmer A2 BB1 & 2 pickups won't get the top end jangle and spank or open detail. You really want that scooped mid sound with a crisp treble, particularly in the bridge, and the neck pickup has to be really clear and detailed to account for being a hotter / warmer pickup design.

Another puzzle that the answer eludes me is: How much of that quacky Page tone is due to pickups, how much is the guitar wood, and how much comes from the amp's e.q.? I know the some of that tone comes from Page's technique, the strings that he used, ...
I think that's all important stuff that definitely plays in, and I'd add in the speakers, also. Though I think that all that stuff has an important role to play, it might be that the sound is most easily lost by the wrong amp/speakers. A proper Plexi responds different than other amps when it's cranked up and the guitar controls are low. When you roll everything back on a decent LP with suitable pickups into a Plexi, the sound gets brighter than other amps, stays really rich and complex even though it's cleaner, and gets more of that woody honk/quack thing happening. Most modern "Plexi style amps" just don't do that. Some do. G12H 55Hz Greenbacks also sound WAY different than any of the G12M or 75Hz cone versions, especially modern ones. Most are too midrangy or brittle but the originals are a bit scooped and have a sweet and open treble.

and some from the state of the art in 1970's technology in record equipment. Most of the world was introduced Jimmy via recordings; a far lesser number through attending Zeppelin concerts.
On the studio albums, all sorts of other guitar gear was used, also. Lost of that 70's recording gear is still in service! There's some great material recorded from live Zep shows (where you can know what the guitar gear was) with really remarkable sound quality for a live rock event at the time.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
The video that I posted sounded to me like a tape machine set out in the studio and distant mics caught this live session without any outboard tweaks. The vocal is faint enough almost to be non existent. I'm thinking it was a Les Paul as the guitar, but could I be really hearing a Telecaster? It is amazing to me the amount of presence and brightness coming from Jimmy's guitar and amp here.....almost like my ear was six inches from the speakers' cone(s).

Classicplayer

Last edited:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Whole Lotta Humbuckers get me where I need to go with Zepp. So does my Tele. May not be exactly what he had at any given time, but neither will any pickup wound in the last couple decades.

Latest Threads