Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@LtDave32 Can you clue me in on where to get a nice bender setup like the one you've shown? WD Music used to sell the Parsons' Bender kits, but they have been out of stock for a couple years and removed it entirely from the website, recently. The one you show looks to be about the nicest version I've ever seen. Missing a grommet / cowl for the strap button slot, though?

I finished this er... "inspired by" last Spring. I actually do not like the design of this B-Bender. It's got one serious flaw and a few lesser ones.

The flamey arm that connects to the string cam does so via a slot in the arm and a flat portion of the cam that fits inside that slot. The steel is thin on either side of that slot in the arm and, after this guitar was in the hands of a touring pro for a couple years, it started to stretch out around the cam and will one day give and crack, or at least fail to operate the cam and just rotate around it.

The other thing I didn't like is that the other end of that arm, as well as the other arm, both mount to the connecting bar and spring via a few fixed position holes to choose from for adjustment of feel (tuning is done via a set screw on the top bout of the guitar which you can't see in these photos). A slot would have worked better in the location of those holes for infinite adjustment, instead of just a few fixed choices. At least one slot on either side of the connecting bar.

So, I guess I wish the slots were where the holes are and the holes were where the slot is. lol! The one Dave posted above looks like it has a turnbuckle type thing in the connecting bar, which would also do exactly what I'm talking about (and probably better).

It does look cool and the rest of it works well. I was terrified I was going to rip through the top though. There's not much wood left between the route and top.

PM sent..

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, and makes sense about the amp/cabs. JPJ's bass is such a huge part of that main riff. The guitar track soloed is real heavy in the mids but overall kinda thin without the boom and thump of the bass to ramp up the powerful feel of the song.

DADGAD

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, and makes sense about the amp/cabs. JPJ's bass is such a huge part of that main riff. The guitar track soloed is real heavy in the mids but overall kinda thin without the boom and thump of the bass to ramp up the powerful feel of the song.
I also feel that part of the full ness of the riff is JPJ playing two E’s on the chugga chugga and Page (studio version) plays 3. Although he plays two live usually.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

So what's the scoop on these "Super Beatle" amps? (not chasing tone, just curious about details)
If it were a UK-manufactured AC-100 head, it's likely it was a quartet of EL34's. Very simple, no nonsense circuit. Just bass, treble and volume. Depending on the model, anywhere from 80 to 120 watts. They came in a varitety of speaker configs, usually 4-12's and two midax horns. All of these amps had rectangular heads.

If it were a US, Thomas Organ Company "Super Beatle" (as titled by the name plate), Then it is a USA made, solid-state version of the amp, very friggin' loud at 120 watts, 4-12 Bulldogs, and a variety of extras such as built-in fuzz. Now we've got a trapezoid shape to the heads as well.

Vox, knowing that they could not keep up with a USA demand for their products, licensed Thomas Organ Company rights to manufacture and even design Vox-labeled products.

Interesting to note that the famed Hollywood Guitar Center was originally known as the Hollywood Vox Guitar Center..

That's where you bought this noisy, buggy amps that were prone to spectacular bursts into flame.

Tom Petty's band just loved those Thomas Organ-made Super Beatles. You can still find them around.

Your roadies will thank you. The trapezoid heads are very light, and the cabs are on trolleys. Easy-peasy.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that post above that shows him playing through a Vox head and a Rickenbacker Transonic cab..

That amp is likely a Vox UL 4120, ECL86 and EL84 tubes for the pre section, and 4 KT88's for the output section. English made.

One damn powerful amp. 120 watts, and with matching cab had 4-12's and two Midax horns.

They ran kinda hot and were prone to wearing out tubes.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep. Vox messed around with quite a few hybrid trans-tube circuits.

Tubes and the related hardware simply cost more and require huge xformers to process the big voltages.

Solid-state is a comparative pittance to manufacture.

Now on the Ric Transonic amps.. Here's a tidbit...

They first made a clone of the famous and rare Ray Butts "Echosonic". It had (like the Butts amp) an actual tape echo built into the amp. That's awesome. But it just didn't take off.

So FF to decades later. Now it's the late 1980s, Ric has purged all amp and cab product from their line. In the friggin' dumpster go a dozen or so Ric Echosonic units, half-built, with the tape echos intact.

..In the friggin' dumpster.

Lord, what a waste.

hecube

Reaction score
As good as the book is, I have to say it leaves me wanting for more.

I would like something like a "guitar atlas" with minimum to no tidbits and collages. No "artistic" angles, just straight shots from overhead, front and back, with good lighting.

hecube

Reaction score
A lot of mysteries were solved with this book.
... and a few still remain.

For example, on page 352, there is a picture of an unreferenced acoustic guitar with dragon neck inlay.

It's not explained on the page what it is, neither in the photographic index.

Anyone has any ideas what this guitar is?

IMG-0443.jpg

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's also no mention at all of Jimmy's Washburn D66SW, as seen on this Guitar World cover and in this Youtube video (not Jimmy's best moment by the way...).

These were made in the 70’s? Through the early 80s?

Latest Threads