Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the red guitar in the collection pic from back stage IS the 1950s (other) red guitar, right?

I'm saying that a) the guitar in the collection shot is the same guitar as in the live action shot that pmonk posted (although we don't know for sure if it's a 50's LP), and that b) it isn't #3 (the pancake body Norlin).

...Someone suggested it is a painted 1958 GT; maybe it is an original red 1958 LP Standard? :)

There are a few theories - that thread that Planks & I both linked to deals with what were thought to be the most likely ones at the time that we were digging into this.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that a) the guitar in the collection shot is the same guitar as in the live action shot that pmonk posted (although we don't know for sure if it's a 50's LP), and that b) it isn't #3 (the pancake body Norlin).

There are a few theories - that thread that Planks & I both linked to deals with what were thought to be the most likely ones at the time that we were digging into this.

Since the Gibson logo was allegedly in the right place (compared to the pancake guitar), perhaps Page invented a time machine & traveled to the future & picked up a 2009 historic & took it back to 1977! LOL :D:laugh2:

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In reading that thread, I am unconvinced that the red #3 was custom made for him, unconvinced that the truss rod cover says CUSTOM, and unconvinced that it is a 1970 model. Of course I could be wrong. I just don't see enough evidence. Simply, it is a mid 1969 model with a pancake body and a one piece neck. One piece necks were gone by the end of 69 (of course there are always a few rare exceptions!). There is a photo in this thread of the back of the neck of that guitar where you can clearly see there is no volute (one piece neck) - which also rules out 1970. They started making them with 3 piece necks and volutes in the fourth quarter of 1969.

pmonk

Reaction score
Of course, your pic is the 1950s LP from 1977. But for the real #3, where does "Custom" come from? I am not familiar with it being called "custom". For the $1600 collection photo back stage, I was pointing to the late 50s red guitar since 1) it is a pic from 1977 when the 50s red guitar was used, and 2) the tail piece appears make a line that splits the two volume knobs evenly whereas the tail piece on the #3 appears to go more towards the volume knob for the neck pickup. Plus it looks so shiny, almost like fresh paint. Seems like the #3 was a little worn by this time. But since I can not really see the head stock or logo or binding in the horn or the sides of the guitar, it is really impossible to say for sure.

Well, that pic of Page is from Oakland July 23, 1977

This is from the 24th

Oakland77-1.jpg

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the whole argument about the thin binding in the shot from 73 - to me this looks like lighting & shadows are playing a part here; it does not look like thin binding to me; look at the binding next to the neck in the cutaway; the part of the binding getting the light is on the top of the guitar - it goes all the way around the guitar. but the part actually in the cutaway is blocked by shadows. but where the cutaway meets the neck you can see the wide binding slightly in a shadow; it is WIDE

pageguitarparis2.jpg

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In reading that thread...

...unconvinced that the truss rod cover says CUSTOM...

From the thread:

huw said:
blackmikito said:
I did make one edit my post above, because after searching through photo upon photo, I believe that Page did in fact keep the original truss rod cover on the guitar, and that he didn't switch it out for a blank one, as I previously thought. Even when it was used at O2 during "Kashmir", you can see that there is an inscription on it. However, I've yet to find a photo that gives any more closeup detail on that tiny piece.

So, if anyone can find one, that would help.

What is says is:
C
U
S
T
O
M

like that, down the length of the TR cover.

I can't give you a picture because I don't have a scanner (not to mention I just got in from meeting my new kids for the firsts time!!!!! ) but I can tell you where there is one.

The front cover of the May 1993 Guitar World, which was the Coverdale Page feature, has a shot of the two of them, & Page is holding that guitar. You have to peer in-between the captions, but you can make it out very easily...

That's one of the few things that are settled about #3 - that GW cover shot is a clear picture. Of course, he could have swaped the TR cover: just because it said "custom" in 1993 doesn't necessarily mean that it always said "custom". But in the only photo that was clear enough to read, that is 100%, definitely what was on the TP cover. :)

[edit]Just to be clear - I'm talking about #3 here, not the 1977 guitar :)

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the whole argument about the thin binding in the shot from 73 - to me this looks like lighting & shadows are playing a part here; it does not look like thin binding to me; look at the binding next to the neck in the cutaway; the part of the binding getting the light is on the top of the guitar - it goes all the way around the guitar. but the part actually in the cutaway is blocked by shadows. but where the cutaway meets the neck you can see the wide binding slightly in a shadow; it is WIDE

Totally agree - one of the RO guys managed to adjust the contrast/brightness of the photo and the wide binding became more noticable. :)

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, I know this will have been discussed in this thread (probably more than once) but as the thread has hit 116 pages there is no way in hell I am going to read through the whole thing looking for the answer and it is just easier to ask here...when was the pickup cover removed from the bridge pickup on #1? Or did he go back and forth as pivkups were swapped on that guitar?

Jessenoah

Reaction score
When the original PAF was on the guitar, he removed the cover. After the Australian leg of the 1972 tour, the bridge pickup got too gummed up with rosin from the bow solos, so the T-top replacement pickup got its chrome cover left on until that pickup was replaced with a Seymour Duncan pickup in the 80s

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
When the original PAF was on the guitar, he removed the cover. After the Australian leg of the 1972 tour, the bridge pickup got too gummed up with rosin from the bow solos, so the T-top replacement pickup got its chrome cover left on until that pickup was replaced with a Seymour Duncan pickup in the 80s

I did some reading yesterday and it seems that, when the pickup was uncovered, he had a double cream in there. I couldn't find any info or see any pictures in which the pickup was a double black. Is this correct? If so, why would Gibson put out a signature model with a double black pickup or was that done because that was the way the guitar was when they looked it over? You'd think they would have gone for how it looked during Zeppelin rather than how it looks today.

I am asking because I was considering removing the cover from my bridge pickup to make it look more Pagey (basically I'm bored and figured I would do that when replacing the tuners with Grovers) but, if he never had a double black during the Zeppelin era, then I won't bother as I would have to buy a double white pickup to be more accurate and I really like my bridge pickup and would prefer not to get rid of it.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it was a double white; they did not make cream. they sometimes turn to cream with age. the one he replaced it with was double black but it had a chrome over on it. he later removed the cover. and that pickup was later replaced with an SD.

Latest Threads