Jimmy Page ... History of his Guitars !!!

planks

Reaction score
Some more of that Custom

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TSB1Jovbq0]Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Ron Wood, Metallica, Flea and Joe Perry - The Train Kept A-Rollin' , Live at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2009[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQNCQiciOdo"]Jimmy Page inducts Jeff Beck at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony 2009[/ame]

MCAN

Reaction score
Do you figure Gibson just gives Jimmy guitars now? Is there some kind of discount program in place? Or is it business as usual because he can obviously afford the guitars?

E.L. Fudge

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt he's paying for them. It's well known that he's the cheapest bloke in the galaxy. Possibly even the universe. The other band members used to refer to him as 'lead wallet' because he refused to spend a dime.:thumb:

Obsequio

Reaction score
I doubt he's paying for them. It's well known that he's the cheapest bloke in the galaxy. Possibly even the universe. The other band members used to refer to him as 'lead wallet' because he refused to spend a dime.:thumb:

Bah hah! That's pretty funny! :laugh2:

Jessenoah

Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of guitar Page used to record Traveling Riverside Blues? Was it the Danelectro?

Guitars - Whole Lotta Led
Rickenbacker 12 String

More conflicting 12 String info. When asked about the 12 string on Thank You Page says it was possibly a Fender or Rickenbacker. It's also been suggested Rickenbacker 12 string was used on Travelling Riverside Blues.

pmonk

Reaction score
Jimmy Page Fine Art Photographic Print: Baron Wolman (1977)

aka Backstage at Oakland 1977

for £1,000.00

BW-LedZeppelin01.jpg

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

for £1,000.00

BW-LedZeppelin01.jpg

did you buy it? of all of the framed photos that they posted for sale, this is the only one that interests me. but not for $1600+!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

for £1,000.00

BW-LedZeppelin01.jpg

I have to ask if that red guitar is the #3 or if it is the other red guitar that is a late 50s LP painted red....? 77 is the right year for that guitar to be on stage. #3 got the B bender in the 80s i think. so from that pic it is hard to tell which red guitar that is. maybe if you look at the alignment of the tail piece to the knobs, you could say it is a 50s LP......but is the head stock bigger (69 LP)?

pmonk

Reaction score
did you buy it? of all of the framed photos that they posted for sale, this is the only one that interests me. but not for $1600+!

Oh no - would never buy such an item for that price (even though it is by far one of my all-time fave Led Zeppelin related pictures...EVER!!!!)

pmonk

Reaction score
I have to ask if that red guitar is the #3 or if it is the other red guitar that is a late 50s LP painted red....? 77 is the right year for that guitar to be on stage. #3 got the B bender in the 80s i think. so from that pic it is hard to tell which red guitar that is. maybe if you look at the alignment of the tail piece to the knobs, you could say it is a 50s LP......but is the head stock bigger (69 LP)?

I believe that it is the 1969 "Custom" Gibson Les Paul Deluxe?

gibson_les_paul_deluxe-02_02.jpg

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh no - would never buy such an item for that price (even though it is by far one of my all-time fave Led Zeppelin related pictures...EVER!!!!)

yeah it may be one of the few pics with all of his main guitars (and ones that have been copied by Gibson and maybe one that still may be copied by Gibson!). I have 4 of the ones in that pic; Don't have the Fender; and don't have either of the Martin D28s. But if they make a JP3, assuming that is the #3, I will have to get it, even if it is only wall art! I wish there was a way to photo shop the black beauty in there!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I believe that it is the 1969 "Custom" Gibson Les Paul Deluxe?

gibson_les_paul_deluxe-02_02.jpg

Of course, your pic is the 1950s LP from 1977. But for the real #3, where does "Custom" come from? I am not familiar with it being called "custom". For the $1600 collection photo back stage, I was pointing to the late 50s red guitar since 1) it is a pic from 1977 when the 50s red guitar was used, and 2) the tail piece appears make a line that splits the two volume knobs evenly whereas the tail piece on the #3 appears to go more towards the volume knob for the neck pickup. Plus it looks so shiny, almost like fresh paint. Seems like the #3 was a little worn by this time. But since I can not really see the head stock or logo or binding in the horn or the sides of the guitar, it is really impossible to say for sure.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those pics are from the same gig (Oakland) so yes, that's the same guitar. :)

It was pictures from that gig that first got my attention a few years ago in Blackmikito's killer thread about the #3 Les Paul, and got me digging and eventually concluding it was a different guitar. The original discussion can be found here: Royal Orleans • View topic - Page's "Custom" Red Les Paul.

It is my favourite of all Page's stage guitars (just barely edging out #1) - I just love the look of it. #3, the more well known Norlin, whilst looking similar doesn't do it for me so much...

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ha! Planks - you posted while I was typing! :)

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those pics are from the same gig (Oakland) so yes, that's the same guitar. :)

It was pictures from that gig that first got my attention a few years ago in Blackmikito's killer thread about the #3 Les Paul, and got me digging and eventually concluding it was a different guitar. The original discussion can be found here: Royal Orleans • View topic - Page's "Custom" Red Les Paul.

It is my favourite of all Page's stage guitars (just barely edging out #1) - I just love the look of it. #3, the more well known Norlin, whilst looking similar doesn't do it for me so much...

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the red guitar in the collection pic from back stage IS the 1950s (other) red guitar, right? Someone suggested it is a painted 1958 GT; maybe it is an original red 1958 LP Standard? :)

Latest Threads