Jimmy Page gets his 1960 Gibson Les Paul Custom back.

DADGAD

Reaction score
B-bender LP, Here's a pic from the other forum made by some dude named Led Zep Fan..:hmm:

2lbkn7k.jpg

Name sounds familiar for some reason..:laugh2:

I'm as big a fan of the bender LP as his number 1. It's so unique (maybe "different" is a better term) and has gone through some drastic mods since 1970.

ARP pickup and Bender routing.

The three toggles are a cool idea but the freeway switch is a much more elegant looking option.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome that its been found. !!

Saiko

Reaction score
I'm as big a fan of the bender LP as his number 1. It's so unique (maybe "different" is a better term) and has gone through some drastic mods since 1970.

ARP pickup and Bender routing.

The three toggles are a cool idea but the freeway switch is a much more elegant looking option.

I agree, my favorite Page guitar I think. I always thought it was interesting that he said the bender ruined the tone but then used it so heavily, sometimes as his primary guitar.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This has been an "underground" news story for a few months...and it finally broke. Congrats to Mr. Page.

Assuredly, a tip-of-the-hat to Perry Margouleff is in order as he was name checked (on Facebook) for this happening in the first place.

Good going. :thumb:

See story:

Jimmy Page reunited with his Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty?!?

Jimmy_page_stolen_1960_gibson_les_paul_guitar.jpg

Nice "gear" shot.

jimmy_page_gibson_les_paul_custom.jpg

So if Perry Margouleff was involved is this an indication that this was hiding in the Dirk Ziff collection all these years?

sk8rat

Reaction score
Im not sure if he had anything to do with jimmy getting it back but I got an email a little while back about the guitar that mentioned tom wittrock who said the guitar is in "very playable" condition.

Rodmac

Reaction score
Ah the intrigue and rumour mongering of the Vintage Guitar world ! :naughty:

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
The confusion came from the post in this section where in Jimmy's guitar you are directed to a compilation of info and the link is in the very first section. The page you are directed to gives another link and that page is no longer there. I remember the pictures the author spoke about the back of the guitar reminded me of photo's on Zeppelins own website.

The author had one photo and said you can see the back of the guitar showing it being routed out and not the red front standard as that guitar was routed for the B- bender until after Zep days. Well I went to Zep's page and under photo's from 1970-1971 I found the picture in question. It's from the 1970 Raleigh NC concert photo's.

What he saw and posted in that compilation he did in the link from Jimmy's guitars does show the back. It is however clearer and I believe the guitar was moving in a rocking motion which caused the exposure to make the back look routed. In the previous photo the toggle cover appears as one. In the photo where the guitar was moving the toggle covers look like there are at least two covers next to one another.

It looked even more like routing of the back when he posted the photo in his link stating it clearly show's the guitars extensive routing. You have to see the photo's on Zeppelin's webpage to see what was really going on. I didn't find any shots of the guitar with three toggles. All show one toggle in the normal place. You can however see the back of the guitar and it's not routed. The compilation shared in the Jimmy's guitars section in this Vintage section is gone no longer there.

One photo showing the back
VF9QEvE.jpg

Second photo.
d3IS9H6.jpg

MCAN

Reaction score
I didn't find any shots of the guitar with three toggles. All show one toggle in the normal place.

Do you mean you couldn't find any shot of the front at all or just from this show?

zeppelin-37frame-400.jpg

This is a crop of the most common shot of the front with the toggle switches.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I swear I had a picture of the back of the guitar after it was routed for the extra switches but I cannot find it. maybe I imagined it.

NimrodPiles

Reaction score
So if Perry Margouleff was involved is this an indication that this was hiding in the Dirk Ziff collection all these years?

It was stolen in Minneapolis, stayed there all the time it was missing and a guitar shop in that area helped get it back.

MCAN

Reaction score
I'm guessing we'll see it when Jimmy goes on tour.

So.... never.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he's waiting for the STH trial to conclude before trapse-ing out all the valuables.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Happy to hear anytime, whether famous or not, when someone gets their stolen gear returned to them....

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
It was stolen somewhere between St Louis (11 April) and Montreal (13 April), JP was never sure where. Turns out it was stolen at the airport after the Bloomington, Minn. show (12 April)

AlienVintage

Reaction score
Wonder if we will ever see this guitar make a public appearance - would be really cool...

Latest Threads