Jimmy Page double cream bridge 1975?

trapland

Reaction score
I though the general consensus was that JPP changed his number one LP double cream PAF to a chrome, then uncovered double black T-Top around 1973. Also his number 2 always had a double black in the bridge.

I just watched a concert claimed to be May. 24, 1975 at Earls Court where at about the 40 minute mark he's playing Kashmir and its a double cream. It sounds amazing on the middle position, more like the MSG tone than earlier.

I don't think its his number one, too flamey, and te next song is No
Quarter with a Chrome bridge and that looks like his number one.

Was there another flame top? Or did his number 2 have a double cream for awhile?

Or is the story about the Australia pickup failure all a crock and he just stuck a chrome pickup in his number one and moved the double cream to number 2 for awhile? Some guitar players are a restless breed.

winexprt

Reaction score
His #2 was the more flamed guitar. And since that was also a '59 it's likely it had double whites under the covers. More than likely is he just pulled the cover off his #2 and that's what you are seeing.

astroshagger

Reaction score
JP's no1 had an exposed bridge with double cream pre '73, but during the 72 tour it got changed to the chrome T-TOP. It was then later changed to a double black SD custom wind.

His no2 has always had the double cream bridge, as well as silver grovers, a darker color, and a more flamed top.

It's funny, every time I hear his no2 it sounds better than his no1. Even JP's tech agrees it's got a fuller and more powerful sound.

trapland

Reaction score
JP's no1 had an exposed bridge with double cream pre '73, but during the 72 tour it got changed to the chrome T-TOP. It was then later changed to a double black SD custom wind.

His no2 has always had the double cream bridge, as well as silver grovers, a darker color, and a more flamed top.

It's funny, every time I hear his no2 it sounds better than his no1. Even JP's tech agrees it's got a fuller and more powerful sound.
I thought it sounded great too. Cleaner in that show with a huge middle tone. What's up with every representation of his number 2 showing double black? Gibson has it wrong? :laugh2:

winexprt

Reaction score
I thought it sounded great too. Cleaner in that show with a huge middle tone. What's up with every representation of his number 2 showing double black? Gibson has it wrong? :laugh2:
Gibson couldn't legally put double cream bobbins on because DiMarzio owns the trademark.

trapland

Reaction score
Gibson couldn't legally put double cream bobbins on because DiMarzio owns the trademark.
See that's intersesting. Sure I know about the DiMarzio thing, but if others can make "replicas" of a specific guitar, including Gibsons Trademark inlay on the headstock and legally sell them, why didnt Gibson just make a "replica" of Jimmy's guitar with double creams and sell it?

I guess they didn't need the risk, we all buy them anyway.

That number 2 sure is nice.

winexprt

Reaction score
See that's intersesting. Sure I know about the DiMarzio thing, but if others can make "replicas" of a specific guitar, including Gibsons Trademark inlay on the headstock and legally sell them, why didnt Gibson just make a "replica" of Jimmy's guitar with double creams and sell it?...
Thing is, they can't legally sell them with the Gibson logo on the headstock.

But some have done it anyway.

And in the past Gibson has gone after people with cease & desist orders that do.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
if others can make "replicas" of a specific guitar, including Gibsons Trademark inlay on the headstock and legally sell them
They can't.

Gibson could win/buy/strongarm that double cream trademark problem away if they really cared to so do. They obviously don't.

Coldacre

Reaction score
Or is the story about the Australia pickup failure all a crock and he just stuck a chrome pickup in his number one and moved the double cream to number 2 for awhile? Some guitar players are a restless breed.
Jimmy Page was not the restless type with his #1. apart from putting Grover tuners on, which had a better tuning ratio... he played his guitar stock.

when he was in Australia in '72 the bridge pickup stopped working. he sent the guitar to Merv Carghill and he rewound / repaired the bridge PAF. I've spoken with Merv about this and that's all he did. he knows nothing about the T Top replacement. when Zep finished their Australia / New Zealand tour, the PAF came out and the T Top was put in.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This may sound confusing, but the idea that number 2 ever had a double black bridge pup stems from the Gibson advertising campaign for the JPP signature model of number 1.

The problem for Gibson was that whilst they copied the guitar as it was in 2003, with an exposed double black bridge pup, they really wanted to use a Zeppelin era photo in the advertising. Problem was, from 1972 onwards, number 1 had both covers on.

Solution?

Some genius in the advertising dept took a 1975 photo of Page playing number two, and photoshopped the pup from white to black!

I'm not at home so I can't post the photo evidence, but you can Google it...

:)

Latest Threads