Jimmy Page Custom Shop No 1 pickups

hamerfan

Reaction score
they're made by the same lady who made Jimmy's custom pair. and her name is "MJ" she signed both od the pickups on the back, but her handwriting is a bit sloppy...so i don't know her full name...only the letter of her first and last name.
Her name is Maricela Juarez and she is the head of the Custom Shop.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Her name is Maricela Juarez and she is the head of the Custom Shop.
And a reasonably cool lady. Met her at the Dallas Guitar Show last year.

Bought a 78 pickup wound by her.

Metal Guru

Reaction score
I have some custom seymour duncan Jimmy Page pickups and the neck DC resistance is 8.2k and though the handwriting is a little sloppy, it looks like the magnet type is "Al V" at least that's what the lady wrote. the same magnet is used for the bridge, but the DC resistance looks like is says 8.78k
they're made by the same lady who made Jimmy's custom pair. and her name is "MJ" she signed both od the pickups on the back, but her handwriting is a bit sloppy...so i don't know her full name...
MJ is a legend at SD. she does great work.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I’ve had both sets of Page pickups and ironically just picked up a set of the Page No.1 pickups from a former Custom shop employee who had a set wound to the specs of the 2004 run. I have had the SD Custom shop Whole Lotta Humbuckers and they are fantastic too.
Both sets are meant to represent different eras and guitars that Page has used. The Gibson Page buckers we’re likely just their interpretation of what would sound like his guitar. They only had 45 minutes to examine Page’s burst and take all their measurements. They would likely have measured the pickups in the circuit to get their readings. The A3 magnets is a strange choice but I think they were shooting for a baseline sound and characteristics. The amp you use and your style will affect your final tone but they are very good pickups. I’ve had great results with the neck and good results with the bridge but in all fairness, I didn’t spend as much time dialing in the bridge.
The SD WLH pickups have always been the same spec. 8.2k neck, 8.78k bridge both Alnico 5. MJ started at Duncan around March 1982 and the very first set of pickups she wound was for Jimmy Page who wanted a new set for a tour he was about to embark on. It was probably The Firm and likely went into his Red #3 as that was his “experimental guitar” and got more use post Zep as he likely wanted to change up his look as his No.1 has always identified him strongly to Zep. I have emailed MJ in the past and she confirmed that specs have never changed and they have always been wound to the same spec since ‘82.
Both sets have their merits and are great choices. The great situation we have now is the numerous terrific winders who have taken it to another level. I have had the great fortune to play a set of ReWinds Post72 set through a Marshall Plexi, and even with my ham fisted playing sounded like a time warp to the 70’s.

Elmore

Reaction score
I am using an early ‘70s Gibson T-Top in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge. I removed the Seymour Duncan logo with toothpaste. This is in an ‘87 prehistoric/standard. Both are uncovered double black. 500K pots, Jensen paper on oil caps. Great in both positions. The T-Top in the neck is a great sound.
DFDA7B0C-1BC1-49BE-9483-240426ABE6EE.jpeg

AJK1

Reaction score
Of course T-top is the best, thats what Page had in #1 for the majority of Zeppelin's original lineup and into the 80's when he put the custom Duncan in the bridge.
Hmmm, not quite right, Page had the original PAFs in his No1 for the first 4 albums, which IMO is the best Zep music by far, the bridge pickup was the cream one that failed in Australia on tour there in Feb 72

DADGAD

Reaction score
The Duncan Bridge went into Pages #1 somewhere in the 80’s. cant remember if around the late 80’s or early 90’s. Also his neck PAF changed to a 60 or Early 60’s PAF around that time.
Tim at Bareknuckle had an opportunity in inspect the #1 in his shop and said the neck measured around 8.6k and the Duncan bridge was a strongly charged A5 and was around 8.15k.

My guess is that it was measured in the circuit as I
doubt anyone would be bold enough to remove them to measure them, so take these stats with a grain of salt.

DADGAD

Reaction score
The Gibby Page bucker neck and a stamped T top bridge was amazing. Highly recommend a T top in the bridge too. Middle position twang for days. Think BBC sessions Black dog.

AJK1

Reaction score
The Gibby Page bucker neck and a stamped T top bridge was amazing. Highly recommend a T top in the bridge too. Middle position twang for days. Think BBC sessions Black dog.
71 was the PAF

Latest Threads