Jimmy Page Custom Shop No 1 pickups

guitar whiskey

Reaction score
What's do you think about the pickups Gibson issues on this guitar? Are the pots decent? Has anyone ever tried to or felt a need to upgrade? Are you happy with the switching characteristics?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the pickups were signed off by Page. He plays his aged model in concert. Enough said? The pups are typical twangy Page pups.

andrewflour

Reaction score
What's do you think about the pickups Gibson issues on this guitar? Are the pots decent? Has anyone ever tried to or felt a need to upgrade? Are you happy with the switching characteristics?
I own a Jimmy Page bridge burstbucker that a friend gave me pulling it off of his CS model. It's an Alnico 3 pickup, output about 8.1-8.2k very cristal, clear and with some twang. A gibson employee I spoke with told me it's basically a Burstbucker 2 with the different magnet inside. He also told me that both neck and bridge pickup are the same one, both with alnico 3 magnet and same output. This explains why some owners of the N°1 CS model said that bridge pickup is "weaker" than the neck one. The neck, in fact, sounds more because of the natural strings vibration and due to its position. For this reason, the bridge pickups need to be slightly hotter, to compensate this thing. I also made a copy of the Pagebucker using a BB2 and it's the same thing of the original one.

I love this kinds of forums: you can talk with a lot of people, sharing your knowledge and experience! I hope this could help you :)

andrewflour

Reaction score
So... are you using his pagebucker or your own bb2 with alnico 3 mag.
Now I'm using a T-top replica I made on my main guitar. On the other (Epi) Les Paul, I have a Pagebucker at the bridge and the replica I made with the BB2 plus A3 in the neck. I tried my pickup in bridge position to make a test and it sounded identical. So I put it in the neck to have the perfect match as in his signature CS model...
Anyway, T-top is the best for Led Zepp! no way!:)

guitarcase

Reaction score
Bit confused now. On your epi page bb, and bb2 alnico3. On your MAIN guitar, what are you using. T TOP in bridge and ? in neck. Why did you not put bb2 with 3 mag in this?

Saiko

Reaction score
Now I'm using a T-top replica I made on my main guitar. On the other (Epi) Les Paul, I have a Pagebucker at the bridge and the replica I made with the BB2 plus A3 in the neck. I tried my pickup in bridge position to make a test and it sounded identical. So I put it in the neck to have the perfect match as in his signature CS model...
Anyway, T-top is the best for Led Zepp! no way!:)
Of course T-top is the best, thats what Page had in #1 for the majority of Zeppelin's original lineup and into the 80's when he put the custom Duncan in the bridge.

andrewflour

Reaction score
Bit confused now. On your epi page bb, and bb2 alnico3. On your MAIN guitar, what are you using. T TOP in bridge and ? in neck. Why did you not put bb2 with 3 mag in this?
On my Gibson I'm using a T-Top replica in the bridge and a BB 2 in the neck. I did not put the Pagebucker replica on my guitar because I liked the idea to recreate the pups combination of Page's N°1. He had a PAF in the neck (BB2, good approximation with same output of Page's neck pup) and a T-top in the bridge (great replica in my opinion, the tone is THAT!)
there are my videos on youtube showing the tone, check "t-top replica jimmy page les paul"

Reaction score
I own a Jimmy Page bridge burstbucker that a friend gave me pulling it off of his CS model. It's an Alnico 3 pickup, output about 8.1-8.2k very cristal, clear and with some twang. A gibson employee I spoke with told me it's basically a Burstbucker 2 with the different magnet inside. He also told me that both neck and bridge pickup are the same one, both with alnico 3 magnet and same output. This explains why some owners of the N°1 CS model said that bridge pickup is "weaker" than the neck one. The neck, in fact, sounds more because of the natural strings vibration and due to its position. For this reason, the bridge pickups need to be slightly hotter, to compensate this thing. I also made a copy of the Pagebucker using a BB2 and it's the same thing of the original one.

I love this kinds of forums: you can talk with a lot of people, sharing your knowledge and experience! I hope this could help you :)
I have some custom seymour duncan Jimmy Page pickups and the neck DC resistance is 8.2k and though the handwriting is a little sloppy, it looks like the magnet type is "Al V" at least that's what the lady wrote. the same magnet is used for the bridge, but the DC resistance looks like is says 8.78k
they're made by the same lady who made Jimmy's custom pair. and her name is "MJ" she signed both od the pickups on the back, but her handwriting is a bit sloppy...so i don't know her full name...only the letter of her first and last name. The pickups are amazing, and I have them in an Epi les paul ultra! i couldn't imagine how great they'd sound in a Gibson! the bridge is twangy, and crunchy. and the neck is smooth, clear and full. they have an acoustic quality with my guitar..but that's probably due to the fact that the ultra is chambered. I love them...even though they were $300 a pair! now all i need is a "throbak sTonebender" :)

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have some custom seymour duncan Jimmy Page pickups and the neck DC resistance is 8.2k and though the handwriting is a little sloppy, it looks like the magnet type is "Al V" at least that's what the lady wrote. the same magnet is used for the bridge, but the DC resistance looks like is says 8.78k
they're made by the same lady who made Jimmy's custom pair. and her name is "MJ" she signed both od the pickups on the back, but her handwriting is a bit sloppy...so i don't know her full name...only the letter of her first and last name. The pickups are amazing, and I have them in an Epi les paul ultra! i couldn't imagine how great they'd sound in a Gibson! the bridge is twangy, and crunchy. and the neck is smooth, clear and full. they have an acoustic quality with my guitar..but that's probably due to the fact that the ultra is chambered. I love them...even though they were $300 a pair! now all i need is a "throbak sTonebender" :)
I own lots of different pickups too; but they are not the ones that the original poster is asking about. Same for your SDs. The only real similarity is the Page name. Cool that they work for you, but they are not the same pickups.

glorioso

Reaction score
Are the new SD SH-18 PUs made the same as the former customs?

59lespaulmann

Reaction score
andrewflour, what is the reading on your custom made T-Top. funny I found this postm I just found your utube vid. the other day and watched 10x already. you got the 73 tone going. thanks, Dan

DADGAD

Reaction score
Maybe not the Gibby Pageys, but should be fairly close tone wise to the Duncan Custom shop ones except I think they are made by people other than MJ. The specs are the same as the Duncan Custom shop. They are cheaper so I'm thinking they are just regular production line stuff wound to a certain DC. My Duncan Custom Shop Pageys (Whole lotta humbucker) has beautifully aged pole pieces and covers. Together, the neck and bridge were heavenly.

andrewflour

Reaction score
andrewflour, what is the reading on your custom made T-Top. funny I found this postm I just found your utube vid. the other day and watched 10x already. you got the 73 tone going. thanks, Dan
Hey 59lespaulmann,

sorry for late reply, I lost the sight of this post long ago :)
I'm glad you like my tone recreation and my vid :thumb:
The T-top replica made some years ago is - if I remember correctly - about 7.8.
If you have any other questions about that, don't hesistate to ask :)

cheers!

Jimi03

Reaction score
Anyone heard of sheptone heartbreakers? Go check them out there great

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
My middle name is "Patrick", so does that make your paging me a "James Patrick Page"?

FWIW - I thought Gibson putting A3s in the Page sigs was even more wrong than the way they did the wiring on #2 and the bobbin colors.

Gibson, for a while, on all their signature guitars, just took their stock humbuckers and put A3s in them.

A3s can sound nice, but they don't at all sound Pagey, to me.

Latest Threads