Jimmy Page Black Beauty Tone Report And Comparison Of Two

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Boom! Top video is "top video"! I agree with boyinblack! You really nailed it! You apologize for sloppy playing, isn't it the way to play Page? :D

I guess I have Luxe Bumblebees in my future. What's your setup? Amp, etc.

It's nice to hear the guitar through the amp and not the strings!!! Too many people post videos where we can hear the strings as much as anything else. Nice!

Thanks! My amp is a Marshall JCM 900 with a Marshall power brake. No pedals on this one. I normally do not use pedals unless it is a LZ song that calls for them; and the only one I own is a Phase 90......

etzeppy

Reaction score
Really, really nice demos there. I like the look of the stock BB best, but you really nailed the tone with the first vid. I don't know if I am imagining it or not, but I think the playing style and feel was more "Pagey" on the first vid too. Not sure if that was just the tone coming through, or if you were getting an extra shot of Page vibe because the tone was so perfect.

What amp and effects were are you using?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really, really nice demos there. I like the look of the stock BB best, but you really nailed the tone with the first vid. I don't know if I am imagining it or not, but I think the playing style and feel was more "Pagey" on the first vid too. Not sure if that was just the tone coming through, or if you were getting an extra shot of Page vibe because the tone was so perfect.

What amp and effects were are you using?

Thanks. No pedals / effects on this one. Just a Marshall JCM 900 100 watt 2x12 combo with a Marshall power brake.

OBX351

Reaction score
My new favorite Zeppelin song!! Nice work...and you're guitar sounds great.

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great job, John....as usual!

The second guitar, to me, sounds to be well suited for "Whole Lotta Love".

BTW, I had to laugh at the TransAmerica shirt!
I'll work on my Brother to get you a Berkshire-Hathaway t-shirt!!!!

journeyman73

Reaction score
john - thinking of pulling the trigger on a stoptail version.

how are you liking the tone? what are the similarities and differences to the #1, tonally? Uses the same pickups, right?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
john - thinking of pulling the trigger on a stoptail version.

how are you liking the tone? what are the similarities and differences to the #1, tonally? Uses the same pickups, right?

same pickups; sounds very similar with the pickup cover off of the bridge pickup. otherwise it is a little different. i recommend removing it if you plan to keep the guitar. maybe do what i did with the neck pickup to make it look like the original; then the bridge pickup is not alone! also, gotta get the correct knobs! how come you want a stop tail? it won't look like a Page LP! for that much money, might as well get the right one! also has the same push/pull knob on the bridge pickup as the Page #1. but you do get a little different sound with it being all mahogany instead of the Page #1 that has a maple top. lots of switching options with the 6 way switch. but i just use the normal ones. the one piece ebony fret board is really nice. they are not light, but if you shop around, you can find one under 10lbs, maybe at 9.5lbs. many are more than 10lbs

journeyman73

Reaction score
i know i will never use the bigsby - and it is much lighter without...i am actually looking at this more like a 3pupBB with a thin neck and great pickups, rather than a JP signature. Decent price around 5k on it also. weighs 9.4lbs

i suppose, all things being equal, it would have the bigsby but this is still at a dealer and unsold - would never find a bigsby version in similar situation....

does it have that 'squawk' :) that the #1 has too - or does the mahogany top override that characteristic?

JMB1984

Reaction score
Like the tone on both, but also prefer the first one for the song.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i know i will never use the bigsby - and it is much lighter without...i am actually looking at this more like a 3pupBB with a thin neck and great pickups, rather than a JP signature. Decent price around 5k on it also. weighs 9.4lbs

i suppose, all things being equal, it would have the bigsby but this is still at a dealer and unsold - would never find a bigsby version in similar situation....

does it have that 'squawk' :) that the #1 has too - or does the mahogany top override that characteristic?

I think it sounds a lot like #1; not quite as twangy, but close. If the neck was skinnier it would probably get there. But again, I am going by the fact that my main Page BB has the cover off the bridge pickup. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention (it is mentioned earlier in the thread) that I put a set of Luxe bumble bee caps in it too. They are very similar to the caps in the #1. It made a difference.

My other Page BB is very near mint. I put a set of vintage reflector cap knobs on it and swapped out the Bigsby for one that is all gold. I think all of that stuff cost me about $500. I still have all of the original parts. If the bridge pup was off and if a set of Luxe caps were installed, it would be perfect. I have wondered if I would ever sell it.

journeyman73

Reaction score
thanks john...i guess the only issue for me now is whether i am really willing to forego the bisgsby

U07110743

Reaction score
What amp are you using? Very nice tone and playing btw

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks. It is a Marshall 4102. that is a 2x12 100 watt combo and a Marshall power brake

CEaston140001

Reaction score
Is the picture of the BB with the pup covers removed the way the pickups actually look without the covers? Also, if I were to get a BB (like a '57 reissue compared to the Jimmy Page reissue) and modify it myself with the push/pull and 6-way toggle switch, with pickups should I use. The '57 pickups wouldn't be correct because Page's was a 1960 model. I'm not even sure which pickups were available back then. Thanks for any help.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is the picture of the BB with the pup covers removed the way the pickups actually look without the covers? Also, if I were to get a BB (like a '57 reissue compared to the Jimmy Page reissue) and modify it myself with the push/pull and 6-way toggle switch, with pickups should I use. The '57 pickups wouldn't be correct because Page's was a 1960 model. I'm not even sure which pickups were available back then. Thanks for any help.

The Page pickups that came with my guitar have black bobbins. I put a bobbin topper on the neck pickup to make it look like Page's original guitar which had a zebra PAF in there. The closest thing to Gibson's Page pickups (not sold separately) are probably Gibson's Custom Buckers (not sold separately but they are used a lot in 2012 guitars, especially signature guitars and collectors choice models = CC; CC "Sandy" has a set of zebra custom buckers in it). But to get the right tone, you need the same Luxe bumblebee caps that I put in my guitar. Also, the skinny neck on the Page BB contributes to the higher end Page twang in my opinion. A 57 BB will have a big neck. They do make 1960 BBs but they are rare. I know they made a 50th anniversary model in 2010 that was a one piece top / body, all mahogany. That might be the better way to go rather than a 57.

Latest Threads