Jimmy Page Black Beauty Tone Report And Comparison Of Two

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, many of you have seen the two threads I started on these two guitars. This one is a comparison of the tone between the two. In the first one, the caps have been swapped out for Luxe Bumblebees and two of the pickup covers have been removed, though I am only using the bridge pickup. In the second one, the electronics are all stock. Beware, the Youtube police have already flagged me for allegedly infringing the copyright laws & have threatened to block the videos. Though they admit I am using the backing track under the legal usage in the copyright law. So if the youtube videos do not work, please check them out using the Metacafe links. And with the usual caveat, I threw these two videos together without much practice, playing or video editing. So take them (with the sloppy playing) with a grain of salt. These are for tone demos.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Hf96X-TCI]Gibson Jimmy Page Black Beauty Demo The Girl I Love - YouTube[/ame]

Metacafe link is

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8969424/gibson_jimmy_page_black_beauty_demo_the_girl_i_love/

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2xqVUV4Ow]Gibson Jimmy Page Black Beauty Les Paul The Girl I Love demo - YouTube[/ame]

Metacafe link is

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8971464/gibson_jimmy_page_black_beauty_les_paul_the_girl_i_love_demo/

harrie 0492

Reaction score
PPPFFFFF yes, great again, good playing verrrry nice guitars and sound. demo 1 and demo 2 OUT DEMONDS OUT great, he J. do you like the Customs?.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Awesome playing and tone, as usual!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
PPPFFFFF yes, great again, good playing verrrry nice guitars and sound. demo 1 and demo 2 OUT DEMONDS OUT great, he J. do you like the Customs?.

Thanks man. Yes, I do like the customs - ever since my days of collecting Norlins a few years ago. I have had many of them. Mostly due to Ace Frehley's guitars and some of his guitar solos - though I was never a KISS fan. But the Page LP is nice. And the neck is thin compared to most customs, with it being a 1960 reissue.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Awesome playing and tone, as usual!

Thanks Victor. I should have bought one of these guitars 4 years ago when they came out. I scoffed at the Bigsby and the price! But now I understand why I should have purchased one.

Wiking

Reaction score
Jeez, dude, great playing. Nice guitars, one day man, one day.....(stops dreaming).
But why two?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I made the mods to the first one with the Luxe caps & pickup covers off because that is how the original was shortly before it was stolen. It affects the tone. But I also liked how it sounded stock, thus two.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow sounded great on both! The one with the cover on seemed more "recorded" Page to me. The uncovered pickup was a little grittier. But not by much. Beautiful instruments!

cmcgov

Reaction score
I like the clip of the uncovered pickups more. Grats on your jp bb's.

Boyinblack

Reaction score
oh shit.

girl I love sounded freaking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top clip sounded a lot more like Page's tone than the second. The lower clip to me, sounded more like a new guitar trying to sound old...and not really getting there.

The top clip really nailed it to my ears.

Boyinblack

Reaction score
I listened to the clips several times each and then listened to the Zep version...for sure your top version is the closest to Page (and I think very close to the original sound in fact)

really cool..great job dialing it in....I saw another clip you posted with a totally different LP...and again I'd say your top version here is by far the closest to the real tone/

congrats man...I know you love Zep as much as I do!

you gotta reload your "wall of flame" clip on youtube....it got blocked.

love your clips man!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I listened to the clips several times each and then listened to the Zep version...for sure your top version is the closest to Page (and I think very close to the original sound in fact)

really cool..great job dialing it in....I saw another clip you posted with a totally different LP...and again I'd say your top version here is by far the closest to the real tone/

congrats man...I know you love Zep as much as I do!

you gotta reload your "wall of flame" clip on youtube....it got blocked.

love your clips man!

Thanks! I am working on the wall of flame.....it will be about a month and a half before I am ready to post it.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Boom! Top video is "top video"! I agree with boyinblack! You really nailed it! You apologize for sloppy playing, isn't it the way to play Page? :D

I guess I have Luxe Bumblebees in my future. What's your setup? Amp, etc.

It's nice to hear the guitar through the amp and not the strings!!! Too many people post videos where we can hear the strings as much as anything else. Nice!

Latest Threads