Jimmy Page #2 Demo No Quarter Solo Live from TSRTS

DADGAD

Reaction score
Hey John, did you watch the 1999 version of TSRTS? The one with te untouched audio. I have both versions and there are some different scenes. There is some great footage of Page during the No Quarter solo. I was wondering of you referenced that during your project.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey John, did you watch the 1999 version of TSRTS? The one with te untouched audio. I have both versions and there are some different scenes. There is some great footage of Page during the No Quarter solo. I was wondering of you referenced that during your project.

I have the pre-remastered version on DVD. Is that what you mean? I also have the remastered version. But I have not seen the "pre" version in a long time. Should I watch it? Obviously, I did not use it!

DADGAD

Reaction score
Yes I mean the older one. I swear there is footage that got edited out. The No Quarter part is good. I like how you can hear all the little squeaks and "mistakes" in the live playing.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes I mean the older one. I swear there is footage that got edited out. The No Quarter part is good. I like how you can hear all the little squeaks and "mistakes" in the live playing.

i just watched the older version. there is no footage of Page playing during the solo. but the audio definitely sounds like it has not been mastered like the other one. though it is the same recording. not sure if the footage is the same as that of the remastered version or not; i have not taken the time to rewatch it. but it seem like the older version has much more footage of bats flying around during the second part of the solo (on the bridge pickup).......not sure if it is worth the time to compare if the bat sequence is different!

DADGAD

Reaction score
i just watched the older version. there is no footage of Page playing during the solo. but the audio definitely sounds like it has not been mastered like the other one. though it is the same recording. not sure if the footage is the same as that of the remastered version or not; i have not taken the time to rewatch it. but it seem like the older version has much more footage of bats flying around during the second part of the solo (on the bridge pickup).......not sure if it is worth the time to compare if the bat sequence is different!

I think I erred and mistaken the non existent solo footage for other parts during the song. You know, the tone is in the bats. I actually like the unmastsred version for its rawness.

Alderbeck

Reaction score
Glad I watched that Jimmy thanks for the inspiration I am now going to log out and go play mine.

MCAN

Reaction score
I have recently fallen in love with this solo!

I tried to learn from Vanderbilly but the videos for the live version (at least the first one) teach a version very different than this even though it is listed as the TSRTS version.

There is a tab on UG that has the second half of the solo correct but the first bit is something totally different.
Unless I am mistaken, the solo does not begin like this:

e|-------8-5--------------8-5-------------8-5-------------8-5-----------8-5---------|
B|-6-6-5------6-6s5s6s5-5-----6-6s5s6s5-5-----6-6s5s6s5-5-----6-6s5s6s5-------------|
G|-0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

You got it right jimmyace. I don't know how you did it but I would appreciate any direction you could give.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have recently fallen in love with this solo!

I tried to learn from Vanderbilly but the videos for the live version (at least the first one) teach a version very different than this even though it is listed as the TSRTS version.

There is a tab on UG that has the second half of the solo correct but the first bit is something totally different.
Unless I am mistaken, the solo does not begin like this:

e|-------8-5--------------8-5-------------8-5-------------8-5-----------8-5---------|
B|-6-6-5------6-6s5s6s5-5-----6-6s5s6s5-5-----6-6s5s6s5-5-----6-6s5s6s5-------------|
G|-0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

You got it right jimmyace. I don't know how you did it but I would appreciate any direction you could give.

I believe he did that lesson before the movie was remastered. He based it on the sound track which had a solo that was a little longer than what was in the movie. When the movie was remastered, they shortened the sound track to match the movie (all tracks in the movie and sound track are the same now). The longer version is either a mix of more than one night or maybe they just did not put the full version in the movie. When they remastered it, they could have put the longer version in the movie, but they would have had to add footage to the JPJ fantasy sequence. And that was probably not feasible. If you watch the VB lesson, in the second video a couple of minutes into it, it picks up where the solo in the movie starts. And it is the same from that point until near the end. I don't know if the lesson carries it that far, but the old sound track's solo had a little more at the end and about a minute at the beginning. I had a surround sound track from the DVD that mostly isolated the guitar & I was able to hear a few small spots that are not easy to hear with the entire band playing. So my version will be slightly different from VB's in a few small spots. I could not have done the solo without the lesson though.

MCAN

Reaction score
Thanks for that jimmyace! It really clears things up. I think I had stopped the second VB video out of frustration just before the remastered beginning I was looking for.

Too bad the video quality is low and it was shot from a weird angle. It's hard to make out what he is playing and where sometimes.

Latest Threads