Jimmy Page #2 Demo No Quarter Solo Live from TSRTS

DADGAD

Reaction score
Nice touch an feel to that one John. I have ADD when it comes to a solo that long. Your JCM sounds very good. Most people would poo poo the fact you should be using a superlead but if you hadn't told us we probably wouldn't know any better. Just goes to show tone is in the fingers!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How come my JP2 doesn't sound nearly as good??...o wait...it must be the player!!:laugh2:

Great playing John!:applause:

thanks man! you gotta have the right amp too! and the right teacher! try vanderbilly.com for all of your LZ!

talven

Reaction score
Great job! I think its fascinating though, that, even though you did an excellent job playing that solo note for note, one can tell immediately that it's not Page himself. Something about the vibrato I think. They're just different. That is one of the coolest things about guitar playing IMO. You just can't help but be yourself. Thanks for sharing.

etzeppy

Reaction score
Always loved that solo. Nice job, nice tone, and nice guitar. Awsome in every way.

Zakmichael

Reaction score
Awesome tone, what are your settings on your JCM 900? I have A 50 watt Mark III head that I think could be similar to yours.Thanks

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
WOW! My first read thread tonight and I got enter-f'n-tained!!! I felt like I should have paid admission for that. Nice going Jimmy! My friday night just got better! RockOn!:dude:

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Awesome tone, what are your settings on your JCM 900? I have A 50 watt Mark III head that I think could be similar to yours.Thanks

i think the JCM 900 will sound different. I think the treble is up all the way, bass on 7, middle on 5, reverb on 3; it is on the clear channel with gain on 7, volume on 9, Marshall power brake on 1.

Zakmichael

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy! My amp is a JCM 900 Mark III model 2500. They call it the "good" JCM 900!haha I don't know why they get a bad rep, I think all the ones I've played have sounded good.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy! My amp is a JCM 900 Mark III model 2500. They call it the "good" JCM 900!haha I don't know why they get a bad rep, I think all the ones I've played have sounded good.

that sounds like a new one? a reissue?

Zakmichael

Reaction score
No its actually an old one. Its the 50 watt dual master no reverb version they made in 1990 and 91. It is basically a hot rodded JCM 800. It was my first tube amp I got about 7or 8 years ago. I'll have to try your settings tomorrow when the neighbors won't call the cops! You have your master on 9 but attenuated some, that still sounds like its really loud! haha

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No its actually an old one. Its the 50 watt dual master no reverb version they made in 1990 and 91. It is basically a hot rodded JCM 800. It was my first tube amp I got about 7or 8 years ago. I'll have to try your settings tomorrow when the neighbors won't call the cops! You have your master on 9 but attenuated some, that still sounds like its really loud! haha

yeah but the power brake really works with a 100 watt amp; not as good with 50 watts. but try the settings & see what you get

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish some other people would post demos of their Page LPs!

Frails

Reaction score
First off, well done! Second, I'll never understand why 900's get a bad rap. I really don't get it. I've owned two 800's and two 900's. In both cases the 900 was superior tone to my ears. Add an EQ in the line like a 10 band MXR and it's very versatile. For the money they are a steal for great tone. Very responsive to the different tubes I tried too. I prefer pedals and my 71' Hiwatt fits the bill everytime. But if I wasn't a pedal guy, I'd probably still have a 900 in the stable.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see the "Artist Proof" ?

And there is another LP Standard Signature??? Was there one with no Maple window in the cut away?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did you see the "Artist Proof" ?

And there is another LP Standard Signature??? Was there one with no Maple window in the cut away?

Yes, I believe I know who is selling the "artist proof". If it is who I think it is, he thinks Page actually played that one and therefore it is worth a lot more than the one that sold for $6,000 last year. The one I was referring to is a Page #1 JPP. It had a BIN for like $8500 (opening bid of $7000) but it seemed to have significant wear; he called "minor play wear". But the pic of the back does not show the entire back - just the upper bout - and it looks like dings along the edge and one on the back.......makes me wonder about rash on the back. But there are no clear pics of the entire back. Someone put a bid in for the opening amount - so the BIN is gone. In the Q&A, someone asked him about some of the wear & whether it is factory or actual wear. He described some of it accurately, but this statement is false, "They also aged the tuning keys and the edge of the neck to make it look like the binding has been worn away in spots." Maybe he was referring to the natural tendency for the finish to "bleed" onto the binding?

There is a 90s Page LP on ebay as well. Maybe that is the one you were referring to in which the maple cap can not be seen below the binding in the cutaway? It is a Gibson USA model, and basically a LP Classic with gold hardware, 4 push/pull pots, and Page's name.

Latest Threads